In my contest entry, I use Y and X to tell me the cursor location, but I am having a problem with Y being reset. This occurs in the program to build a tower. I have pinpointed it to when it calls a program to display the tower sprite (loads hex data than uses TIfreak's hex2sprite to display). When I run the program by itself Y is not reset to 0, but when I run through the other programs it is Shock .

Also, there is absolutely NOTHING that modifies Y. Does this have something to do with the graphscreen? Confused (I remember reading somewhere that TI-OS uses the X and Y for some of its graph screen stuff)

P.S. I used a bunch of PAUSE Y commands to pinpoint it
It does have something to do with the graphscreen. I forget this too. Whenever the graphscreen is used, the X and Y variables may be reset. So play it safe and use other variables. I remembered about this when I was getting a Error:Dim on a matrix and found the Y variable used on the matrix was being changed using the graphscreen.
Never use Y for important data if you're using the graphscreen. I've discovered this as well; Y always gets reset to zero, even if all you've done is a ClrDraw. I usually use X and Z or A and B instead of X and Y.
>.< Dangit, I think I might change the current Z to the finance app N and use that instead. You would think TI would be smart enough to change this...
KermMartian wrote:
Never use Y for important data if you're using the graphscreen. I've discovered this as well; Y always gets reset to zero, even if all you've done is a ClrDraw. I usually use X and Z or A and B instead of X and Y.

only partially correct, draw a point offscreen after a ClrDraw or do any drawing command at all and then set X and Y.

also, if you are not graphing functions based on X and Y (aka POLAR mode) then they dont get reset.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

only partially correct, draw a point offscreen after a ClrDraw or do any drawing command at all and then set X and Y.

yeah, but still not wise to use y. I wonder why only y is affected and not x?
well yeah, of course, but then if you clrdraw again Y gets reset again.
Harq wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

yeah, but still not wise to use y. I wonder why only y is affected and not x?

I think this is mainly because the value of y is calculated based on each different value of x. So, TI probably just uses some other machine iterator to go over the x value for each pixel, which is probably faster than actually using x. This may not be the reason, but it is probably something like this...

Yeah, I agree that TI shouldn't use y in their drawing/graphing commands.

Also, has anyone tried the new OS 2.41 (or whatever)?
About OS 2.41, I assume this is the OS released for the 84+ not too long ago. After hearing what everyone else said, I decided to stay with my current OS. It seems the only thing they added was that lock thing for teachers.
Same here, I do not want my calc locked. Neutral
Hey, just some fancy luck, but if you want, here's some stuff about OS versions.
http://www.detachedsolutions.com/forum/m/33733/#msg_33733
Mmm, interesting data. They should compile that formally somewhere./
I have not looked at that yet... I still need to install openoffice. Better do that...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours