One of my projects is Mario Minigames (can't enter that into TIFW contest. It was announced on other sites before I knew about the contest. Sad ). It will be a collection of minigames based on Mario for Ti-83/84+ Mirage OS. One of the prototypes for a minigame is a pretty neat platformer. So far, Mario can only jump on the platforms. I'll see what kind of minigame I want and add other appropriate features but in its current state it is pretty good. Check out the screenie, and click the screenie to download the platformer as well as a collection of Mario sprites. Note that, since the program uses stat sprites, that the program generates massive lists at runtime. Try having all your stuff archived (Except for A1MARJP1) or you'll get a memory error.
good job with that sprite. that shit looks fucking awsome for being in basic.
Is that libless BASIC?! No xlib at all? If so, nicely done!
lafferjm wrote:
good job with that sprite. that <font color=red>censored</font> looks <font color=red>censored</font> awsome for being in basic.

chill on the cussing dude, its censored, and I'm getting tired of reading your posts filled with "fuck" in them
Kllrnohj wrote:
lafferjm wrote:
good job with that sprite. that <font color=red>censored</font> looks <font color=red>censored</font> awsome for being in basic.

chill on the cussing dude, its censored, and I'm getting tired of reading your posts filled with "<font color=red>censored</font>" in them

I agree. Excessive use of cussing outside the rant forum, will end up in punishment... Please help keep the forums clean...

@something: That is uber impressive! How fast is it?
0x5. That censoring is indeed getting quite annoying. The filters are there for a reason...
speaking of sprite libs. is there any out there that i can use for my ti-83 without the plus.
tifreak8x wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
lafferjm wrote:

chill on the cussing dude, its censored, and I'm getting tired of reading your posts filled with "<font color=red>censored</font>" in them

I agree. Excessive use of cussing outside the rant forum, will end up in punishment... Please help keep the forums clean...

@something: That is uber impressive! How fast is it?

I think we should give him a break. He was just expressing strong emotion. As for the speed, haven't you tried it on your calc? I think it is pretty quick. The loops that control the program are all very compact and run rather quickly. Also, I've had time the past two days to make more optimizations, lowering the size by 100 bytes, and making it go a little faster. The bad thing is when I want to code some other nice features, like an enemy or something similiar, it starts to become real slow. But if I can make it go this fast using pure BASIC, it will be comparable to the Asm version if I use xlib.
Also, if you can get it to go this fast without enemies, you can probably optimize the enemy routines enough that they don't really slow it down substantially when you add them in.
I've made enough updates on this project to make it worth mentioning. Using tips from one of the newly updates BASIC guides, I managed to speed up the existing platformer minigame. I also made another minigame. It is a stat-sprite adaptation of the little program I made for speech class. You control Mario and you must get as many coins as possible before the end of the game. I tried to make a "timer" for it like I did for the speech program, but I had just found out that when stat-sprites don't change position, they don't flicker and delay the program. This means that the actual time it takes for the user to finish will almost always be different. I picked the most preferable limit. You can download the latest update here.
that pretty much pwns.
Very nice. I look forward to seeing some screenies if you get a chance.
Here is a screenshot for the latest version of the platformer. I still haven't decided what to add on:

Here is a screenshot for the new minigame. It's not as graphically intensive as the first minigame but it's still good.

If you guys have tried it out, is the second minigame good as is, or should I modify it so that Mario only moves when an arrow key is pressed?
Wow, looking nice! Re: your question, I assume that right now he moves constantly and you use up and down to vary his vertical position. I say to keep it that way; making the person keep pressing right-arrow would be annoying.
Cool. Right now it's set up so that it constantly moves in the direction the user presses, but the user can stop Mario's movements. I plan on doing some serious work on putting the game together when I have at least five minigames, so if you have ideas I would appreciate hearing them.
How about one where Mario runs along and must jump over obstacle of varying width and height, like enemies and gaps in the brick ground?
I'll keep that in mind but there might not be enough memory to make a sidescroller like that. It would need massive lists to generate the bricks and gaps unless if I design it so it updates whenever Mario goes offscreen. Idea I just got an idea! It may not take as much memory as I thought. I'll play around with this idea this week.
Awesome, hope I inspired you somehow. Oh, and if you talk to Dan, I bet you could get this in the contest, as long as you stop telling us about it. Chipmaster did that...
Yea, it'd be a shame not to be able to put all this work into the contest. Just talk to TIfreak, I'm sure he'll understand. Smile
That's what I think. He's a nice guy about that kind of thing. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours