What is Vault 7?
    The gist of Vault 7 is a series of tools and malware, named by Wikileaks, created and used by the CIA. Specifically, used to target Smart TVs to mobile phones and, personal computers to routers.

We live in an ever connected world. Our phones are always on our person and our computers are almost always on and, more and more of us are buying into the Internet of Things (IoT). Technology is no stranger to hacking, exploits and, oversights; remember when Samsung TVs were caught sending voice back to its servers? Perhaps more recently when it was uncovered that the largest uncovered botnet was literally millions of IoT devices? A few days ago news broke that Ring security doorbell cameras were sending data packets to an IP in China. Why? Apparently because the cameras Ring bought were bought from a factory in China and the cameras firmware was never replaced or properly secured. (Sorry, I don't really have a better source than Reddit on that one.)

And now that information has leaked regarding the CIAs attempt and likely success, we should reflect on the items we use and take action to secure our privacy.

How do you feel about this? Do you alter any devices to hinder their ability to spy on you? e.g. Tape over the web cam. Do you think this will be the new social norm as we progress into an ever digital world? What other thoughts do you have regarding this topic?
I figure, if they REALLY need our info, and it's important, like an issue of national security, then i dont care. But if they are getting info just to get info or to maliciously use it, that's not OK
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I figure, if they REALLY need our info, and it's important, like an issue of national security, then i dont care. But if they are getting info just to get info or to maliciously use it, that's not OK

Same here. I feel a bit worried....it's what they might use all of that info for that is a major concern. If it's for a really good cause, like to track activity linked to an event of great importance, then I don't mind. But of course if it's for no particular reason (as far as I would know) then that starts to get questionable.
Matthew Garrett (mjg59) has a pretty good write up here of why this specific hack doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things and things like your cell phone or laptop are more likely the issue.

Besides the fact that Wikileaks is far from a reliable source at this point.

Edit: https://xkcd.com/1808/
I seriously doubt that the CIA has malicious intents with these tools, as them getting caught would result in fatal political turmoil. I would not be surprised to find out that it is used explicitly for terrorists, cartel leaders, and other national security threats that warrant a deep and secure investigation.
CalcMeister wrote:
I seriously doubt that the CIA has malicious intents with these tools .... I would not be surprised to find out that it is used explicitly for terrorists, cartel leaders, and other national security threats that warrant a deep and secure investigation.

Agreed. My concern is that eventually these tools and exploits won't be used against terrorism. It also opens the question that if the our government can have/install backdoor access in devices, they can't be the only one to know about it. I have nothing to hide. If a government official were to knock on my door and ask to see my network traffic or ask where I've been I'd likely cooperate but it's not going to stop myself from protecting my footsteps online. Yes, I use a VPN. Yes, I encrypt my computer and phone. I do that to keep my data and information safe.

At times, I may sound conflicting in here but I started this topic for discussion and I tried to come across as neutral as possible in the presentation of the first post. But my personal view is that I can't independently verify any of this information. Regarding the Snowden documents, I believe those. Why? Because he fled the country, the government tried to get him extradited back to the US. The shows me probably cause that what he released - and will release - has merit. With this "Vault 7" info, it's just leaked documents. Now, I don't believe 6000+ pages of this sort of stuff would be made up for affect, and as TheStorm/Jonimus says, WikiLeaks isn't an entirely reliable source these days. But there's nothing, yet, that makes me feel this is entirely believable.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours