I am a new user of the TI-84 PLUS SE, and have gotten started on programming using TI-BASIC.

TI Connect appears to be reporting the the character Δ as a "bad token" when I try to either save a TI-BASIC program or attempt to download to the TI-84 PLUS CE calculator. This prevents me from using ΔList and other functions that use the Δ.

The message is "Bad Token! A token in <filename.8xp> is invalid, so we are not able to save it. Please edit, and try to save it again.

If I remove the Δ, then it can save and download fine, but - of course - is not a functional program.

Any ideas on what I can try?

Thanks,
Aaron
First of all, welcome to Cemetech! Glad to have you here Smile

What IDE is it coming from? SourceCoder 3? If so, you cannot actually use the token Δ, and instead you must do "DeltaList", which is the same as "ΔList", just in a format that will be accepted. If you are using another IDE, I can only assume that character isn't working either; if so, look up "List" or something in the command index or whatever, if there is one. You should find "DeltaList" or something of the like, depending on the IDE.

Hope this helps Smile
I'm using the minimal tools in TI Connect to enter and download TI-Basic programs. In this environment, there is no DeltaList. I must use the native character set used by the TI-84.

It appears that the TI-84 uses another character for than the Δ that I found in programs online. It shows up on the calculator as a shorter version of the same. I just gave it a try and found that I can save this token within TI Connect without an issue. I also found that it works on the TI-84.

So the workaround for those who have this issues is:
1. Create a NEW program using the TI-84.
2. Use the catalog to insert the function you need, such as ΔList, into your program as a snippet.
3. Copy the program up to TI Connect using Calculator Explorer refresh.
4. Open the uploaded program and copy the text for this function over to the program you are writing within TI Connect.
5. Download your program to the TI-84 and give it a try.
What's the text you get in the program (the one you write ΔList in) when you transfer it from your calc to the computer? Can you not just copy that text and paste it in your main program whenever you need to insert it? Or is there another issue?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours