I am attempting to integrate the function: (4x+3)e^(4x^2+6x) in the
EXACT mode between the limits of -1 to +1. I have all the syntax correct, but the solution is not being displayed, only the definite integral in "pretty print." Manually, I have produced the result: 1/2(e^10 - 1/e^2) which I was merely trying to verify. Any observations out there? Thanks.
Did you try pressing [◆][ENTER] (that's [DIAMOND][ENTER]) to get the approximate answer? Without that, it will indeed give you the simplified symbolic result.
Excuse my lack of clarity. It is indeed the "simplified symbolic result" that I am attempting to produce on the calculator. Even though in EXACT mode, only the original integral is displayed, NOT the 1/2(e^10-1/e^2) I know the answer to be. I can get approximate answers by re-setting the mode, but exact (in terms of "e") is my goal. Thanks again.
The calculator returning the original expression unmodified means that it couldn't handle it for the purposes of symbolic integration.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
The calculator returning the original expression unmodified means that it couldn't handle it for the purposes of symbolic integration.

Exactly. In fact, if you are trying to get a definite integral in exact mode the calculator first has to integrate symbolically and then substitute the limits you supply. If it fails to integrate symbolically, it will also fail to give you an exact answer to the definite integral.
TI 89 titanium cannot solve this integral symbolically. The NSpire CX CAS solves it happily though.
The Nspire series' CAS is a mixed bag: a number of slight improvements, but also, in recent times, a number of brand-new bugs which neither the TI-68k series all the way back to the 92 in 1995-1996, nor earlier Nspire OS versions, ever displayed. OS 3.0.1, 3.0.2 and 3.1 were the worst.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
The Nspire series' CAS is a mixed bag: a number of slight improvements, but also, in recent times, a number of brand-new bugs which neither the TI-68k series all the way back to the 92 in 1995-1996, nor earlier Nspire OS versions, ever displayed. OS 3.0.1, 3.0.2 and 3.1 were the worst.

Have not tested the NSpire extensively, the titanium / V200 are still my favorite calcs mostly because of the programming model. NSpire I think wins in the interactive mode, but I much prefer the BASIC abilities of the 89 series.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours