Hello! How do I start this off..... So today in school, my friend brought me his TI-84 and told me that the key presses were not registering. I flipped and opened the battery compartment and saw that the two outermost battery compartments had some battery leakage. I browsed the forum quite a bit and I recall someone mentioned that the leaky batteries may cause this issue and it may not be worth fixing it.

At this point, should I be considering that the some of the copper traces may have been eaten off and tell him to replace his calculator or is there some light left for this calculator for me to take a crack at it?
Well if you can solder well and have the tools there is a chance you can repair the traces. I know i have done it Razz that being said want to post some pictures of the PCB where it is damaged? That will give us a better idea of how much work will need to go into fixing it.
geekboy1011 wrote:
Well if you can solder well and have the tools there is a chance you can repair the traces. I know i have done it Razz that being said want to post some pictures of the PCB where it is damaged? That will give us a better idea of how much work will need to go into fixing it.

Hehe, I was thinking about that but I currently don't have his calculator to crack it open sadly. Razz

I really never had any experiences with fixing traces too much. Eh. Since I know the "on" button works, I am assuming the leakage didn't go through too in depth since that button is right beneath the corroded compartment. Should I assume this as a possibility of being able to be fixed?

I will try to get some pictures soon as long as my friend accepts that his calculator can get "more broken". xD
Haha the on button is actually on a different circuit sadly Razz that being said there is a good chance its fixable with some good solder work. It is just how bad is the corrosion.
Darn, well I guess I will have to tell him what you just said. I am pretty sure it is better than telling him "I have no clue" tomorrow.
Haha sadly that's the truth. Honestly I buy broken ones off ebay and repair them. It is doable but it will take a keen eye Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours