Hey everyone. I've been considering buying a TI-92 Plus because it has a nice big screen, it can be programmed in C similarly to the TI-84 Plus CE, and it's got a QWERTY keyboard. Any opinions/reasons I should/shouldn't buy this? It's an eBay auction listing with less than 2 days, very cheap with no blemishes on the screen, and I'm highly tempted to buy it.
I would recommend a Voyage 200 as a possible alternative. It is a little smaller, but it has all of the same features as the 92+. I have even had success putting my V200 into my pocket. Instead of programming my V200, I have mostly used it as a journal. If you want to put your calculatir into your pocket, I would recommend the Voyage 200 instead.
I looked at that too, but I want the aesthetic of the TI-92 as well. Fitting it into my pocket isn't a huge selling point for me. I'm mostly looking for the QWERTY keyboard layout, the C programmability, and the nostalgia of a 90s pocket computer-like thing that'll turn heads at my school. The Voyage 200 would work just fine, but it just doesn't feel like the real thing. I know, I'm so picky Razz
TI-92 series calculators (including the V200, if not especially the V200) tend to develop missing rows/columns on their LCDs (an unfixable failure), so it's important to look closely at the LCD to make sure none are missing.

The TI-92 Plus and V200 are essentially identical if size and Archive storage don't matter; the 68k calculators can execute from Flash so if you're playing games it might matter. The V200 is a nice size, though.

Unlike the TI-89, all TI-92 Pluses are HW2 so there's no need to worry about hardware version.
CVSoft wrote:
TI-92 series calculators (including the V200, if not especially the V200) tend to develop missing rows/columns on their LCDs (an unfixable failure), so it's important to look closely at the LCD to make sure none are missing.

Thanks. I tried repairing a friend's TI-82 (I have a TI-82 myself as well) and it had tons of corrosion that prevented the power button from working, but once I got it working, I did notice that it had a few missing columns. The TI-92 has a similar aesthetic to the 82, so I guess it makes sense that the same problems of the 82 would be present with the 92.
CVSoft wrote:
TI-92 series calculators (including the V200, if not especially the V200) tend to develop missing rows/columns on their LCDs (an unfixable failure), so it's important to look closely at the LCD to make sure none are missing,

I consistently have 1 nissing column, but it recently went to 2 missing columns. At first, it was at about 3 missing columns and 1 missing row. Luckily, it doesn't affect writing. I wished I could have zero missing columns, but it is perfectly fine for my use case.
clevor wrote:
CVSoft wrote:
TI-92 series calculators (including the V200, if not especially the V200) tend to develop missing rows/columns on their LCDs (an unfixable failure), so it's important to look closely at the LCD to make sure none are missing,

I consistently have 1 nissing column, but it recently went to 2 missing columns. At first, it was at about 3 missing columns and 1 missing row. Luckily, it doesn't affect writing. I wished I could have zero missing columns, but it is perfectly fine for my use case.

It appears there are no missing columns or rows on the one I'm about to buy, fortunately.
If it has a qwerty keyboard its qualified as a computer and you can't use it on the PSAT, SAT, or most other calculator related endeavors but other than that you should be fine.
I did win the auction, so I plan to use it for programming (duh) and taking notes in class.
linkjt9 wrote:
If it has a qwerty keyboard its qualified as a computer and you can't use it on the PSAT, SAT, or most other calculator related endeavors but other than that you should be fine.

Yup, I was aware of that. With TINET, no 84+CE should qualify for the SAT or ACT either Razz
https://satsuite.collegeboard.org/sat/what-to-bring-do/calculator-policy
I researched this when I wanted to dive into this series and ended up getting a ti 89 titanium that don't have the missing rows problem. You can also get an Hw2 patch for it.
Calculatordream wrote:
I researched this when I wanted to dive into this series and ended up getting a ti 89 titanium that don't have the missing rows problem. You can also get an Hw2 patch for it.

Yeah, I like the idea of the TI-89 Titanium, but the screen isn't as high-resolution and there's no QWERTY keyboard. I already have a TI-84 Plus CE Python and a TI-82, so I'm done with trying to type notes on A-Z keyboards. Plus, you can run most TI-89/89 Titanium programs on 92 Plus, but not the other way around, so it has a larger library.
I just got a Voyage 200 today and I must say that if you want a "calculator", its a bit big haha.
I got it mainly to play some games on it during class and stuff (my math teacher is gonna be mind blowned lol). And it was really cheap.
For now, I am really happy about it. I played ztetris on it and my TI-89 titanium with a link cable. I find it really cool haha, respects to however coded this.

Main drawbacks: size and not "mathprint" in the line to enter the equations. I would not buy it as a first/only calculator, a bit too big. Might not fit in your pencil case. Also, compared to my TI-84 CE, I can't enter fractions in a graphical way, I need to use ( and ) instead, and it clutters the screen. But that is with all the 86k calcs.

Even if I only used it today, with what you want I would reccomend it. I think that for taking notes if you have hands that are not too big it would work fine. Don't know a lot about coding sadly so I can't talk about that.

Btw, I don't know if you knew but you need a standard ti-graphlink/ti-connect cable for these. There is no usb connection like the TI-89 Titanium or the TI-84 CE since the 92/92p/v200 are older.

Its a TI-89 with a big screen and a full keyboard, what could go wrong ? Laughing
There are pretty-print equation writers for the TI-68k series, see https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19091 Smile
christo2015 wrote:
I just got a Voyage 200 today and I must say that if you want a "calculator", its a bit big haha.
I got it mainly to play some games on it during class and stuff (my math teacher is gonna be mind blowned 0x5). And it was really cheap.
For now, I am really happy about it. I played ztetris on it and my TI-89 titanium with a link cable. I find it really cool haha, respects to however coded this.

Main drawbacks: size and not "mathprint" in the line to enter the equations. I would not buy it as a first/only calculator, a bit too big. Might not fit in your pencil case. Also, compared to my TI-84 CE, I can't enter fractions in a graphical way, I need to use ( and ) instead, and it clutters the screen. But that is with all the 86k calcs.

Even if I only used it today, with what you want I would reccomend it. I think that for taking notes if you have hands that are not too big it would work fine. Don't know a lot about coding sadly so I can't talk about that.

Btw, I don't know if you knew but you need a standard ti-graphlink/ti-connect cable for these.

Oh yeah. I think I'll have to stick it in my backpack. This is my third graphing calculator. I'm a collector now Razz My hands aren't enormous, so it'll probably be fine. Even if I can only touch-type, it'll be faster than hunting and pecking the keyboard of the 84+ series, only because of familiarity. I'm also looking forward to the reaction of my Geometry teacher Very Happy The eBay listing said it came with the cover and cable, but didn't show the cable, so we'll see if it's the ancient serial port cable or the silver link USB. Fingers crossed it's the USB cable.
If it's the serial (DB9) port cable, i.e. the BlackLink, or a "$4 cable" hand-made equivalent, don't gamble buying a USB / RS232 adapter: most models are unable to provide the kind of low-level access to wire signals (bit-banging) that TI's low-level protocol requires.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
If it's the serial (DB9) port cable, i.e. the BlackLink, or a "$4 cable" hand-made equivalent, don't gamble buying a USB / RS232 adapter: most models are unable to provide the kind of low-level access to wire signals (bit-banging) that TI's low-level protocol requires.

Thanks, good to know. I had looked into buying serial-to-USB adapters, but I guess now I'll just have to buy the 2.5mm-to-USB silver link cable if it doesn't come with the calc.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours