I have a ti-83+ which recently has been acting quite strangely. Every time I press a button, especially the clear and delete buttons, the screen starts filling up with random garbage and after a few minutes it gets impossible to do anything. Can anyone think why this is happening and, if possible, how to fix it?
This recently happened to one of my classmates. The weird thing is, the problem fixed itself, for the most part, after a week or so. All the remaining bugs were solved by resetting all RAM and Archive memory.
Hello ThatGuy, and welcome to Cemetech! If you haven't already, try taking a look at this link:

http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5622
And see if one of those fixes will fix your problem. If need be, you may try re-installing your OS, which is also covered in the link. Good luck! Smile
Thanks for all the help guys! Going to try what it says in the link but first i need a new graph link cable. Very Happy
How goes the progress? Any luck?
Thatguy08 wrote:
Thanks for all the help guys! Going to try what it says in the link but first i need a new graph link cable. Very Happy
What you are describing sounds like classic ribbon cable failure. Since it's a TI-83+, you should try replacing the ribbon cable with soldered wires as described in this topic: On the Repair of TI-83+ LCDs. Do you have soldering experience?
KermMartian wrote:
Thatguy08 wrote:
What you are describing sounds like classic ribbon cable failure. Since it's a TI-83+, you should try replacing the ribbon cable with soldered wires as described in that topic. Do you have soldering experience?

Since this involves modifying the internal hardware of the calculator, other potential causes should be ruled out (mainly by following as many of the steps in the article Mateo linked as possible). In the event that a ribbon cable repair is necessary, conductive ink pens such as CircuitWriter allow for repairs to be made without soldering; however, the longevity that soldering provides cannot be guaranteed. The calculator I repaired using CircuitWriter has lasted over a year, and is still in use at my high school.
I agree. However, I'd probably give him these abbreviated steps:
1) Turn on calculator. Verify corrupted-looking LCD.
2) Use TI-Connect to take a screenshot. Make sure it looks normal (ie, uncorrupted, different from the image on the screen).
3) If it is uncorrupted, replace the ribbon cable, a la http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5161 .
Thanks for all the help! Going to try what everyone said and hopefully everything will work out. Good thing I also have a ti-84+ and nspire cx to fall back on! Laughing
Thatguy08 wrote:
Thanks for all the help! Going to try what everyone said and hopefully everything will work out. Good thing I also have a ti-84+ and nspire cx to fall back on! 0x5

That always works as well. Smile Have you had any luck so far in getting this problem resolved?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours