Check it out! This is a real, non-photoshopped pic:

I can explain how to do it if you guys want.
Laughing Nice Kerm! Laughing Can you post it for download? I am so putting that on my compy. Thats awsome
KermMartian wrote:
Check it out! This is a real, non-photoshopped pic:

I can explain how to do it if you guys want.
My friend did this to his computer, and even one of the computers at school. The adminstration was clueless as to how it got there. I'm glad it's being used for a much better use here. Smile
It requires:

>>1 program download
>>1 program use
>>1 registry edit
>>1 log in/out

Still game?
I just got a cool idea. Some one out there has probably done this, but I am going to make my site like its windows. I will have a start button as the menu and I'll have the links for affialiates and things in a section with a folder logo. Then I will make it so when ever you click on something on the menu it will come up like a program, I will have the news and things emulated as text files and so on. This'll be cool.

Only thing is I hope its not against copyright laws Confused . I may customize it a bit to look like my own made up OS. This is going to be really awsome.
yes, please. I really want this (people will really wonder about my lappy then, no IE icons (all were deleated), everytime I leave for 5 minutes, it will blue screen (screen saver to fake it), and then my start button will be diffrent, plus the DCS background.
Lol, nice. I am going to work on my site design, I think that'll be cool. I will make it a fullscreen pop up type thing, and then it will be like a real OS type thing Very Happy .
rivereye wrote:
yes, please. I really want this (people will really wonder about my lappy then, no IE icons (all were deleated), everytime I leave for 5 minutes, it will blue screen (screen saver to fake it), and then my start button will be diffrent, plus the DCS background.
Where did you get that screen saver?
http://www.sysinternals.com/MiscellaneousUtilities.html

it is blue screen program
Cool, I put it on. It really doesn't look like any blue screen I have gotten on my Windows XP, but I bet it will fool most people. Cool
yeah, like BOGUS_DRIVER is one of my favorites. It actually looks realistic on the computer, except on my lappy. It displays in 640*480 and my lappys screen only for some reason displays 800*600 correctly
Once I put something like that on my computer as a screensaver and my dad frantically shut it down. Razz
I'm gonna put it on all the library computers next year for april fools day. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
jpez wrote:
Once I put something like that on my computer as a screensaver and my dad frantically shut it down. Razz

Haha Laughing . I am downloading it to my new Flash Drive Cool . I got a new Flash Drive so I can transfer my data back and forth from internet compy and data compy. Dont ask me why I dont just have one for both Razz .
I've got 4 flash drives. Smile 512, 512, 1gig, and 64mb. Guess which one was the first one I bought. Evil or Very Mad

**NOTE: XP ONLY**
**NOTE: Back up stuff; it's possibly to screw stuff up with this! Specifically, back up explorer.exe and your registry.***

So here's how you do it:
1. Download "Resource Hacker"
2. Run the program and open c:\windows\explorer.exe
3. Save as explorer2.exe in the same folder.
4. Find each instance of "start" and replace with "DCS6" and click Compile Script at the top of each page you change.
5. In the sidebar, find Bitmaps or Imgs, and the first one on the list should be the flag icon. Click that, then tools-->replace image and choose a file I shall upload here tomorrow.
6. Save again.
7. Start-->Run-->"regedit" [enter]
8. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and look for the DWORD value "Shell." Double click and change to "Explorer2.exe" from "Explorer.exe"
9. Log out and back in.
Kerm, you can also replace the startup image, so that instead of saying loading winXP with the little green scrolling bar, you could have something like "Infecting your machine....", "Taking over the world...", "Launching DCS6...." or whatever with a custom image (image is full screen too)

I don't rember how to do it anymore, it was a rather lengthy process, but I'm sure a google search would turn it up
I've done that already. Just get this:
http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/
KermMartian wrote:
I've done that already. Just get this:
http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/

Oh, I was thinking of a different way that was a lot more complex.

I'll stick with my all-text linux boot process anyday Wink
lol, fair enough. Don't you run any windows anymore?
KermMartian wrote:
lol, fair enough. Don't you run any windows anymore?

Just for games. Namely, "Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion", which is truly the greatest game I've played all year. its like OMG AMAZING!!!!! w0wZerZ!! If your computer can run it, you owe it to yourself to buy it

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours