A nice feature with the Sharp el506 is the four user customizable buttons where one can configure it to have it emit user defined key stokes.

Wouldnt it be nice for my Nspire to have something similar? One example is the hour-minute-seconds calculation which i always did. On Nspire it takes 20 key punch to get answer for say 1:1:1-1:1:1, and that is assuming the best case when the symbol menu got the desired template. On my old Casio 4500, the same takes only 16 keys. If there are customizable shortcuts on the nspire, the efficiency will be greatly increased.. or there is already?

Modern calculators are so advanced and packed with so many features but lacks an efficient way to access. The hp50 imho have the best arrangement (not that i own one Wink
There's not a real function like what you describe here. However, the Nspire has a different trick that'll make doing complicated things easier, and it's kind of hidden. You can make functions and programs public if you put the documents that hold them in the MyLib folder and have them defined as "LibPub". Then, you can access them from the Catalog>5 menu and use them in any document. Keep in mind that programs can only be used from the Calculator while functions can only return a value. In general if you just want to make a calculation less complicated you want a function, if you want custom output you want a program. Hope this helps a bit.
Thank you aeTIos, that's a neat trick! Made a function that will do just the time calculation mentioned, and it turns out it takes 16 keys instead of 20! It's a simple program that takes this form tdiff(1,1,1,1,1,1), and will return values after doing >DMS for better display.

16 keys is assuming tdiff is the first item in the library (which i named a0 to let it float atop others in catalog). It is now much less tedious as there is no longer a need to punch in 1'1'1".
As a specific note, programs can also be run from the Notes page (at least, on the CX and CX CAS), where they'll auto-update. all you have to do is insert a math-box.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours