This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
account4me2

Posted: 07 Nov 2009 06:09:02 am    Post subject:

Hello,

Can someone please tell me if it is possible to send an appvar to the archive/flash memory using TiLP?

I know in theory you're supposed to be able to drag them from the 'Variables' folder to the 'Applications' folder but nothing happens when I try.

It's probably really obvious and I just can't see it.

Thanks!

Last edited by Guest on 07 Nov 2009 06:43:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 01:29:00 pm    Post subject:

Are you dragging from and to the same pane (the left pane) ?
account4me2

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 08:05:25 pm    Post subject:

Definitely. You know how when you click somewhere and drag, the little icon follows the cursor? Well wherever I let go, the icon just floats back to where I clicked (even within the same pane).

Maybe TiLP can't do it on the TI-84+ SE?

Thanks for replying though.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Nov 2009 09:23:02 am; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 08:13:36 pm    Post subject:

You have to first press "Dirlist", which will then show all the variables and files. Then you can send things to either RAM (drag to "variables") or archive (drag to "applications").
account4me2

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 09:08:38 pm    Post subject:

I do press Dirlist. This is what happens:
http://tinypic.com/r/2rxg1ab/4

If you can't see, the things I'm dragging are both 'APPV's which I presume means AppVars. One has a star and one doesn't (I don't know what that means), but neither can be dragged to the 'Applications' folder.

FYI the same thing happens if I try to drag an '.8xp' (aka 'PPRGM') from the Variables to Applications.

Thanks!
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 04:49:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If you can't see, the things I'm dragging are both 'APPV's which I presume means AppVars.

Yes.

Quote:
One has a star and one doesn't (I don't know what that means)

The one with a star is archived, the other one isn't. My 83+ SE has both RAM and archived APPVs, too.

Quote:
but neither can be dragged to the 'Applications' folder.
FYI the same thing happens if I try to drag an '.8xp' (aka 'PPRGM') from the Variables to Applications.

Well, I'm almost positive that drag and drop within the same pane does not work.

I'll check (in the docs and/or with TI-Connect) whether the TI-83+ family calculators (83+, 83+ SE, 84+, 84+ SE) have a link command that tells TI's OS to archive / unarchive a file or a set of files.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 05:30:02 pm    Post subject:

Ah, I see what you're trying to do now Wink It might be easier to just go into the memory menu on-calc and archive/unarchive.
account4me2

Posted: 15 Nov 2009 09:41:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The one with a star is archived, the other one isn't. My 83+ SE has both RAM and archived APPVs, too.

If the star means that it's archived, then perhaps it makes sense that I can't drag AppVars and Programs to the 'Applications' folder. Because if the star indicates that a file is in the archive, then as seen in my video it is not necessary for an archived file to be in the 'Appliations' folder. The thing is, here is a quote from Chatper 5 of the TiLP User's Manual:

Quote:
Note:
- if you drag to a folder, variables will be sent to this folder,
- if you drag to 'Variables', variables will be sent to default folder,
- if you drag to 'Applications', variables will be sent in archive memory.

Quote:
It might be easier to just go into the memory menu on-calc and archive/unarchive.

That would be acceptable for one or two files, but it's quite a pain in the a when you're sending 10-20 APPVs - each time you send one, you have to go into the menu and archive it because two can't fit in the RAM at the same time.

Thanks again guys!
Galandros

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 04:26:52 am    Post subject:

What I did for sending prgms to archive was making a program oncalc in RAM as place holder. Then I received the programs to use in other time.

The next move was sending the archived programs to the calculator but this time overwrite the RAM ones. This worked for me.

You can create appsvars depending on the program you use... Still a bit impractical for the first time but after you have the empty appsvars in ram on the computer it is easy to send again everything...
account4me2

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 04:49:08 am    Post subject:

Galandros wrote:
What I did for sending prgms to archive was making a program oncalc in RAM as place holder. Then I received the programs to use in other time.

The next move was sending the archived programs to the calculator but this time overwrite the RAM ones. This worked for me.

You can create appsvars depending on the program you use... Still a bit impractical for the first time but after you have the empty appsvars in ram on the computer it is easy to send again everything...

I'm sorry but I don't understand any of that.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 10:01:28 am    Post subject:

Lionel Debroux wrote:
I'll check (in the docs and/or with TI-Connect) whether the TI-83+ family calculators (83+, 83+ SE, 84+, 84+ SE) have a link command that tells TI's OS to archive / unarchive a file or a set of files.

It most certainly does. In fact, the 8X* format has a flag for it so TI Connect or whatever linking software knows where to send it by default.
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 10:20:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
In fact, the 8X* format has a flag for it

Indeed, I've recently fixed the way TILP interprets and generates this flag (see the "Tilp and groups" topic in this section) :)

Quote:
whatever linking software knows where to send it by default.

Does linking software use different commands when sending to RAM and when sending to archive ?

In my previous message, more than the existence of the "archived" flag at the start of the file data and present in the checksum, I was referring to commands (if any ?) that tell the calculator "Archive the file with such name", "Unarchive the file with such name" or "Toggle archive status of the file with such name" - without having to transfer the file to the computer, and changing the value of the "archived" flag on the computer, and transferring back the file to the calc (with a "delete file with such name" command intermingled if necessary, assuming such a command exists and is implemented).
I hope that clears up what I meant Smile
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 09:06:23 pm    Post subject:

[s]As far as I know there is no such command.[/s]

Sending the file over again is perhaps the easiest way to "archive" or "unarchive", but maybe not the safest way and certainly not the fastest. If you really wanted to, you could send over a small assembly program to perform the archive/unarchive operation. (You could also simply type 'Archive <foo>' on the homescreen, by remote control, but that wouldn't work for appvars, or programs with non-typable names.)

I realize this sounds a bit kludgy, but it's much like what TiLP already does for ROM dumping, and there are other interesting things that you might be able to do this way (renaming files, locking/unlocking programs, launching shell programs remotely...)

Edit: Ignore what I said above. I've been looking more carefully, and I now suspect that the 0010 ("delete variable") packet can perform various other functions as well - possibly including renaming, archiving and unarchiving variables.

Edit2: Hypothetically, the general form of the 0010 command should look like this:

- Original folder name
- Original file name
- Original file attributes (must include 0011 = variable type)
- 0x01 (what is this?)
- Destination folder name
- Destination file name (null means delete file)
- Destination file attributes

Folder/file names are specified in the same form as used in other parts of the DUSB protocol (one byte length, N bytes UTF-8 text, zero terminator if length != 0.)

For instance, to archive program 'A':

0x00 (original folder = null)
0x01 0x41 0x00 (original filename = "A")
0x00 0x01 (one attribute follows)
0x00 0x11 0x00 0x04 0xF0 0x07 0x00 0x05 (variable type = program)
0x01
0x00 (destination folder = null)
0x01 0x41 0x00 (destination filename = "A")
0x00 0x01 (one attribute follows)
0x00 0x03 0x00 0x01 0x01 (archive state = true)

This still has to be tested, of course. :)

If my analysis here is correct, I would guess that there are probably also DBUS commands for archiving, unarchiving, and renaming variables, but I have no idea yet what those might be.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Nov 2009 01:35:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 03:37:56 pm    Post subject:

Interesting Smile
I probably need to get more into libti*/TILP before I can implement stuff like that, but I'll definitely watch this, and I'm willing to try things on the 83+SE.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Nov 2009 05:31:36 pm    Post subject:

I can confirm this works for archiving, unarchiving, and renaming files on my 84+. There don't seem to be any equivalent DBUS commands, though.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement