This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 17 Oct 2004 06:48:12 pm    Post subject:

I believe if you go into a directory of some sort, it will still sort the files as before (in alphabetical order). But if you click on the rating link at the top of the page, it will then load the files sorted by ranking. The unranked ones follow in alphabetical order.

At least, that's how it seems to be working for me...
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 17 Oct 2004 06:59:15 pm    Post subject:

I believe "by rank" sorting should be default, and an option for rankless sorting be given at the top. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 17 Oct 2004 06:59:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Oct 2004 06:11:29 pm    Post subject:

Someone in the ticalc forum actually made a good point about that default. Basically what he said was it would tedious to use "CTRL+F" all the time if you were looking for one prog in particular so the default is was set to "alphabetical."

On a related subject, for some reason I can't seem to get my ratings to affect the lists. I rated a few TI-82 games Wednesday and the results still haven't appeared. As far as I know, that was probably the first time those files were rated so I'm guessing ticalc uses some kind of minimum vote before the rating bar is used, but no one else has raised the issue. Can anyone confirm this?
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 24 Oct 2004 01:04:00 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
so I'm guessing ticalc uses some kind of minimum vote before the rating bar is used, but no one else has raised the issue.  Can anyone confirm this?

Four votes minimum.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Oct 2004 06:23:41 pm    Post subject:

Aw, man. That ruined my day. I guess the TI-82 section will get rated in like...6 months, then.
Madskillz

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 06:05:46 pm    Post subject:

lol...yeah, some/most of the 82/83 files have hardly any or no ratings yet! Laughing
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 06:33:31 pm    Post subject:

That means that the 5 programs I just gave a 1 to will probably still stay there until 4 other people do the same :(

The programs I rated were something like this:
Fake virus really funny this is hilarioos give this to ur frinds!
This program is something I made in two milliseconds, enter a number and it will count up to it
Enter a number and this program will add to it until you press ON to stop. Very cool!!! All my friends said it was great
A raelly great clock!!!!!! only off by 1 minute every hour!!!11!!!! very, good plz download!!!!11!!!!

Please, someone do the same thing so we can get rid of such useless programs.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 06:42:22 pm    Post subject:

Really great clock might actually be not that bad...
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 06:46:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A raelly great clock!!!!!! only off by 1 minute every hour!!!11!!!!

That's pathetic. This is part of the reason behind why I'm so excited about the new visual system. If these BASIC kiddes start seeing red bars next to their programs they might actually think twice before publishing something that's useless. Who knows, it might also stir up some competition between top programmers. Of course this probably won't really apply to 82/83 for several months, but next to tougher screening, I think it's the best thing ticalc can do for their archive quality.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 06:49:22 pm    Post subject:

I doubt they care much, most don't post many useless programs. Thing is, if you write several programs, you start to actually learn to do it...
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 08:36:27 pm    Post subject:

Wow... this rating thing is really gonna be great after it gets going.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 08:46:35 pm    Post subject:

Sir Robin wrote:
Really great clock might actually be not that bad...

It was the least accurate one. A quick look at the source showed it was pretty bad. All the others were much better. I only give ones to programs that are really bad. Most that are not too great get a 5 or so.

I just rated and reviewed about a half dozen more programs. Half were awful, 1/4 OK/Good, and 1/4 Great. Let's try to get rid of those awful ones! Vote! Vote! Vote! Although some of them are kind of funny. ("Really fun program like asteroids, almost as fast as ASM" = crappy, slow, Avalanche ripoff that doesn't even have hit detection, it relies on honor system.)
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Oct 2004 10:36:58 pm    Post subject:

I say almost half the progs are awful no matter which folder you're in. And they could all tie for 'worst game.' And could someone please explain why Wacky Fun Random Numbar Generator v1.00000069 has a 7 out of 10? The review was an obvious lie--guess people are already explioting the system. Anyway, I finally got a chance to rate a few more 82 progs and routines. No reviews yet but lots of ratings. Can't wait for the system to really get rolling.
CoBB

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 02:03:44 am    Post subject:

WFRNG is a running joke of the TI community, it's a legend.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 02:16:03 am    Post subject:

On top of that, it's featured. The world is ending!!!!!

EDIT: @DigiTan

Last edited by Guest on 26 Oct 2004 02:16:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 07:43:39 am    Post subject:

I dont know how exactly to handle the system, but got a few good ideas.

I think they should go by date, and the year they were published/uploaded, therefore the newer programs are more easily seen. They could just be seperated by the year.

Now I dont like the whole idea of organizing them by ranking because as we can see by Tetris v1.1 in the TI-83Plus category, once a program s at the top it will forever stay there. I have always believed that by putting the top dled file at the top, it just increased its downloads and amde it impossible for any other program to overtake it. I think that as far as the most dled file, it should change monthly depending on how many dls and display the top 5 dled programs for that month. That way it gives more then one program the spotlight.

But this still doesnt solve the problem of the good programs being mixed in with the really good, I dont know how to handle this because whos to say that a program is not good? When others may love it. If anything, I think that TiCalc.org should organize them by date, so the old programs and the new are seperated.

Thas all the ideas I got Sad
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Oct 2004 07:27:11 pm    Post subject:

I usually just take a peak at the "New File for This Week" section-- but yeah-- that only covers a few days, so visibility is still a big issue. As far WFRNG goes, I think we can all agree it's not nearly as good Joltima (which only scored 2pts higher--where's the justice?). Maybe ticalc was playing favorites when Nick made that thing; I'm guessing the point was to lampoon all the lame progs out there. There's nothing funny about misleading prog descriptions if ya ask me. People will waste time downloading and not be too happy about it.
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Oct 2004 04:34:18 pm    Post subject:

Don't blame me, I gave it a 1 the very instant file ratings were implemented. In fact, I've given every instance of that piece of crap a 1.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Oct 2004 06:59:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
People will waste time downloading and not be too happy about it.

...and the download rate crap will rise, and more people will download it 'cause everyone else is! It's a vicious circle
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Oct 2004 09:14:21 pm    Post subject:

sigma @ Oct 27 2004 wrote:
Don't blame me, I gave it a 1 the very instant file ratings were implemented. In fact, I've given every instance of that piece of crap a 1.

Good lord! You mean there's more of that junk?!? I'm betting all their ratings will fall eventually anyway. I lost 3 minutes of my life downloading it hoping the description was a joke and it might actually be a desent prog--a sort of "don't judge a book..." thing. Boy was that a let-down! It still has a 7.9 out of 10; yeah, it's actually gone up! Either alot of people are in on the joke or there's something seriously crooked about the scoring. I say "vote 1" and end the cycle.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement