Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Author Message
xtjacob


Newbie


Joined: 15 Oct 2009
Posts: 17

Posted: 10 Dec 2010 07:09:52 pm    Post subject:

I have a question about graphing on my TI-Nspire. My teacher told me that in order to graph the formula: "2x+1, if x [font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]≥ 0" on a calculator you have to type it in as "(2x+1)/(x[font="Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif"][size="2"]≥0)". Now if I do this on a TI-84/83 it works fine, but when I try to input it into my Nspire it doesn't work, and every time I try to put the [/size][font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]≥ sign in it says syntax error. How can I graph this on my Nspire?
[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks!
Back to top
Levak


Advanced Newbie


Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 94

Posted: 10 Dec 2010 08:32:47 pm    Post subject:

try the operator |
Back to top
xtjacob


Newbie


Joined: 15 Oct 2009
Posts: 17

Posted: 12 Dec 2010 06:36:01 pm    Post subject:

Levak wrote:

try the operator |

Do I replace the divide sign with it?


Last edited by Guest on 12 Dec 2010 06:36:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
xtjacob


Newbie


Joined: 15 Oct 2009
Posts: 17

Posted: 12 Dec 2010 06:45:28 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I figured it out. You have to use the piece wise template.
Back to top
Levak


Advanced Newbie


Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 94

Posted: 12 Dec 2010 07:47:40 pm    Post subject:

xtjacob wrote:

Levak wrote:

try the operator |

Do I replace the divide sign with it?


Yes.
Back to top
Galandros


Active Member


Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 565

Posted: 18 Dec 2010 03:57:04 am    Post subject:

For piecewise expressions I used (2x+1)*(x≥0) but has the drawback of being 0 instead of non defined in x<0.

I also preferred doing it in one function, example: (2x+1)*(x≥0)+(-2x-1)*(x<0)
Back to top
Levak


Advanced Newbie


Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 94

Posted: 18 Dec 2010 06:41:22 am    Post subject:

Galandros wrote:

For piecewise expressions I used (2x+1)*(x≥0) but has the drawback of being 0 instead of non defined in x<0.

I also preferred doing it in one function, example: (2x+1)*(x≥0)+(-2x-1)*(x<0)


What ??
On Nspire, if you enter the operators > < <= and >= without the operator |, the Nspire says you maid a mistake.
Back to top
Galandros


Active Member


Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 565

Posted: 21 Dec 2010 06:30:01 am    Post subject:

Levak wrote:

Galandros wrote:

For piecewise expressions I used (2x+1)*(x≥0) but has the drawback of being 0 instead of non defined in x<0.

I also preferred doing it in one function, example: (2x+1)*(x≥0)+(-2x-1)*(x<0)


What ??
On Nspire, if you enter the operators > < <= and >= without the operator |, the Nspire says you maid a mistake.

Sorry, forgot to mention it was on a TI-84+SE. I haven't experiment much on Nspire graphing but the old BASIC like trick I guess could work on other graphing calculators not only z80 line. (CASIO)


Last edited by Guest on 21 Dec 2010 06:30:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
wjbudd


Newbie


Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 46

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 05:36:55 am    Post subject:

How do I graph x+y+z=0 on the nspire?
Back to top
Levak


Advanced Newbie


Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 94

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 01:08:56 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

How do I graph x+y+z=0 on the nspire?

With this : http://ti.bank.free.fr/index.php?mod=archives&ac=voir&id=915
Back to top
wjbudd


Newbie


Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 46

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 04:57:55 pm    Post subject:

Levak wrote:

JBB wrote:

How do I graph x+y+z=0 on the nspire?

With this : http://ti.bank.free.fr/index.php?mod=archives&ac=voir&id=915


Lets see, you spend a lot of money for TI's latest top of the line calculator, and of course most of that money gos to TI, and then you find out that this latest product from TI won't graph a simple multivariable equation, an equation that their previous (TI-89 and Voyage 200) would plot, and by the way, an equation that the HP-50g and Casio Classpad will easily plot. So the solution is to get help from a non-English speaking website (the French) who by the way don't get any of the money, while the management at TI can laugh all the way to the bank! Laughing about how they pulled off a scam where they get the money while someone else does the work! Is there something morally wrong with that picture? You bet there is. When you and I and others have to do for free what TI should have paid their engineers to do, that is, to produce a product that right out of the box will plot that equation, then it's time for a different solution. It's time to do business with someone else and let the scoundrels at TI see how they like it in the unemployment line. BTW, how do you like the color screen and styling and programming of the Casio Prizm? And isn't it about time to add a section to this site for Casio products. Now I don't work for Casio and don't know anyone who does but I can tell you for sure that the future of calculators is spelled C-A-S-I-O. And for sure TI is not going to see any more of my money. How about you? And how do you like programming that a? I'd rather have a root canal than deal with that.
Back to top
Levak


Advanced Newbie


Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 94

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 05:35:33 pm    Post subject:

Wow ... true ? :P

Sure it is stupid for this point. It seems that the supposed (and suggested) OS 2.2 will solve this lack of experience.
Back to top
wjbudd


Newbie


Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 46

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 05:55:45 pm    Post subject:

Sorry Levak but you lost me. Were you replying to my post or some thing else? So how do you like the color screen and styling and programming of the Casio Prizm? And isn't it time to add a section to this site for Casio products? And do you like nspire programability?
Back to top
Levak


Advanced Newbie


Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 94

Posted: 12 Jan 2011 06:11:58 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

Sorry Levak but you lost me. Were you replying to my post or some thing else?

I was replying to the general idea.

Quote:

So how do you like the color screen and styling and programming of the Casio Prizm? And isn't it time to add a section to this site for Casio products?

I haven't tested the Prizm, I have no idea about that, but here it is the UnitedTI site, thus, Casio won't see any new section here I guess.

Quote:
And do you like nspire programability?

With the time going, I don't program a lot whereas new functionnalities are comming with new the OSes...


Last edited by Guest on 12 Jan 2011 06:13:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
wjbudd


Newbie


Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 46

Posted: 13 Jan 2011 05:56:49 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the reply Levak. When you have time perhaps you could take a good look at the Casio Prizm. Students seem to like it and adapt quickly to using it and I am wondering if the programing community will like it. Hopefully you and others at this site will offer some comments about this.

I have been wanting an alternative to TI's nspire cas product for several years now and I can tell you for sure that if Casio puts the color Prizm screen on the Classpad, I will buy one in a heart beat and so will a lot of other people. So I am wondering how firmly entrenched TI is with the programming community.
Back to top
wjbudd


Newbie


Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 46

Posted: 12 Mar 2011 01:31:43 am    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

Thanks for the reply Levak. When you have time perhaps you could take a good look at the Casio Prizm. Students seem to like it and adapt quickly to using it and I am wondering if the programing community will like it. Hopefully you and others at this site will offer some comments about this.

I have been wanting an alternative to TI's nspire cas product for several years now and I can tell you for sure that if Casio puts the color Prizm screen on the Classpad, I will buy one in a heart beat and so will a lot of other people. So I am wondering how firmly entrenched TI is with the programming community.


I have been reading pages and pages and pages and pages of posts at Cemetech. Many hours of reading and now I can answer my own question: "So I am wondering how firmly entrenched TI is with the programming community." From what I read there, most people have had it with TI and their essentually giving the finger to the programing community. There is a movement there to switch to the Casio Prizm.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are GMT - 5 Hours

 

Advertisement