Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Author Message
apcalc


Newbie


Joined: 28 Jun 2010
Posts: 22

Posted: 24 Sep 2010 03:54:10 pm    Post subject:

From TI Bank:
http://ti.bank.free.fr/index.php?mod=archives&ac=voir&id=440
Back to top
critor


Member


Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 132

Posted: 07 Nov 2010 07:12:10 am    Post subject:

ut1238, Goplat: let's sum up things for the dumping of the TI-Nspire CAS+ OS 1.0.554.

I have done some tests for months by my side and got some similar and new results.


1) Calculator "Send OS":

The "Send OS" menu is disabled.
Even when you connect the calculator to a computer, to a TI-Nspire/Nspire CAS, or even to another TI-Nspire CAS+.

According to tests I had asked for to Datamath, the "Send OS" menu was enabled on previous CAS+ OSes (1.0.4xx, 1.0.3xx). But I've never seen those older prototypes anywhere outside the Datamath museum.


The CAS+ doesn't understand ".." folder
It has no "/phoenix" folder.

Visible folders are only:
"/"
"/phx"
"/phx/documents"
"/phx/tmp"

And nothing interesting in those folders.

So, the OS is not visible in the filesystem.


2) Maintenance menu:

Do not try menu+enter+p. It doesn't show a menu, but does remove the OS.


3) Diagnostic menu:

I haven't managed to trigger the diagnostic menu.
With Esc+Menu+G, the calculator just doesn't turn on until you remove the batteries... Strange...


4) Ndless 1.4/1.7:

Great news! Trying to install Ndless 1.4/1.7 crashes the calculator!

You can still move the pointer and turn the calculator off and on.
But that's all.
All other keys seem useless...
And except about the pointer, the screen is not updated and seems frozen: no "low battery" or "low ressources" indicator flashing, no control key flag...

Seems the main program/OS loop is crashed/stucked, but that interrupts are still working.

It would be great to try to install Ndless 1.0/1.1/1.1.1...


5) Computer "Send OS":

The TI-Nspire Computer Link 1.0 looks for ".tnc" OS update files.
If a CAS+ calculator is connected, you immediatly get a "bad file" error when trying to flash the 1.1 CAS OS, or even the 1.1 OS renamed from ".tno" to ".tnc".

I've used a Java decompiler. The sources were not 100% ok (won't compile again - syntax errors), but here is what I have understood about the "Send OS" code. Note, I might be wrong.

- I think the ".tnc" file is not sent to the calculator.
- The ".tnc" file is decompressed on the computer in a temporary folder.
- All included files are sent one by one to the CAS+ in the "/phx/tmp" folder.
- The code checks that you've sent a ".img" file, and a "manifest_img" file.
- Then, the code calls a native method installOS() with the calculator pathes of both above files.

I've made various tests by sending such files to the "/phx/tmp" folder, but the native installOS() just triggers a "Bad File" exception without telling me anything more.

That's all for today.


I've got 2 identical TI-Nspire CAS+.
If you've got any idea of other interesting tests, just tell me.


What would be interesting to do with the CAS+ is:
- installing Ndless 1.0/1.1/1.1.1
- installing Ndless 1.4/1.7
- dumping/reflashing the 1.0 OS
- dumping the 1.0 boot2
- flashing a 1.1 OS
- flashing a 1.1 boot2


Last edited by Guest on 07 Nov 2010 07:16:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
bsl


Advanced Newbie


Joined: 09 Jan 2010
Posts: 94

Posted: 07 Nov 2010 01:08:26 pm    Post subject:

Try this , its a test to see if the installer will work on the OS version you are trying.
For me it does not work on OS1.1 - the clock keeps spinning.
The test:
If you get a checkerboard across the top of the screen and the calc freezes then its possible to
port Ndless.
[attachment=3301:installer_test.zip]
Back to top
critor


Member


Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 132

Posted: 07 Nov 2010 02:21:21 pm    Post subject:

bsl wrote:

Try this , its a test to see if the installer will work on the OS version you are trying.
For me it does not work on OS1.1 - the clock keeps spinning.
The test:
If you get a checkerboard across the top of the screen and the calc freezes then its possible to
port Ndless.
[attachment=3301:installer_test.zip]


Thanks.
I don't get the checkerboard.
I don't get a clock keeping spinning either...

I 'm getting exactly the same symptoms I got with the Ndless 1.4/1.7 installer.


[quote="critor"]You can still move the pointer and turn the calculator off and on.
But that's all.
All other keys seem useless...
And except about the pointer, the screen is not updated and seems frozen: no "low battery" or "low ressources" indicator flashing, no control key flag...[/quote]


Last edited by Guest on 07 Nov 2010 02:47:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
ExtendeD


Advanced Newbie


Joined: 30 Aug 2009
Posts: 91

Posted: 28 Nov 2010 07:10:28 am    Post subject:

From http://www.unitedti.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8191&view=findpost&p=142877 :
ShiPa wrote:

Everybody thanks for assistance, now I can run BASIC-programs running under nspire_emu_032 with OS 1.7. Now i'm looking for a way to install ndless1.7 with nspire_emu_032. Readme contains no information

There is no specific installation procedure for the emulator. But I'm adding this section to the ReadMe file:

Code:
How do I install it on nspire_emu/Ncubate?
==========================================

Use the "connect" command of the emulator, then send 'ndless_installer.tns' and
'ndless_resources.tns' from the calcbin/ directory to any directory of the
emulated calculator.

Open 'ndless_installer' from the Documents screen of the calculator and wait a
few seconds for the installation.
Back to top
garbage


Newbie


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 1

Posted: 29 Nov 2010 05:08:11 am    Post subject:

critor wrote:

ut1238, Goplat: let's sum up things for the dumping of the TI-Nspire CAS+ OS 1.0.554.

I have done some tests for months by my side and got some similar and new results.


1) Calculator "Send OS":

The "Send OS" menu is disabled.
Even when you connect the calculator to a computer, to a TI-Nspire/Nspire CAS, or even to another TI-Nspire CAS+.

According to tests I had asked for to Datamath, the "Send OS" menu was enabled on previous CAS+ OSes (1.0.4xx, 1.0.3xx). But I've never seen those older prototypes anywhere outside the Datamath museum.


The CAS+ doesn't understand ".." folder
It has no "/phoenix" folder.

Visible folders are only:
"/"
"/phx"
"/phx/documents"
"/phx/tmp"

And nothing interesting in those folders.

So, the OS is not visible in the filesystem.


2) Maintenance menu:

Do not try menu+enter+p. It doesn't show a menu, but does remove the OS.


3) Diagnostic menu:

I haven't managed to trigger the diagnostic menu.
With Esc+Menu+G, the calculator just doesn't turn on until you remove the batteries... Strange...


4) Ndless 1.4/1.7:

Great news! Trying to install Ndless 1.4/1.7 crashes the calculator!

You can still move the pointer and turn the calculator off and on.
But that's all.
All other keys seem useless...
And except about the pointer, the screen is not updated and seems frozen: no "low battery" or "low ressources" indicator flashing, no control key flag...

Seems the main program/OS loop is crashed/stucked, but that interrupts are still working.

It would be great to try to install Ndless 1.0/1.1/1.1.1...


5) Computer "Send OS":

The TI-Nspire Computer Link 1.0 looks for ".tnc" OS update files.
If a CAS+ calculator is connected, you immediatly get a "bad file" error when trying to flash the 1.1 CAS OS, or even the 1.1 OS renamed from ".tno" to ".tnc".

I've used a Java decompiler. The sources were not 100% ok (won't compile again - syntax errors), but here is what I have understood about the "Send OS" code. Note, I might be wrong.

- I think the ".tnc" file is not sent to the calculator.
- The ".tnc" file is decompressed on the computer in a temporary folder.
- All included files are sent one by one to the CAS+ in the "/phx/tmp" folder.
- The code checks that you've sent a ".img" file, and a "manifest_img" file.
- Then, the code calls a native method installOS() with the calculator pathes of both above files.

I've made various tests by sending such files to the "/phx/tmp" folder, but the native installOS() just triggers a "Bad File" exception without telling me anything more.

That's all for today.


I've got 2 identical TI-Nspire CAS+.
If you've got any idea of other interesting tests, just tell me.


What would be interesting to do with the CAS+ is:
- installing Ndless 1.0/1.1/1.1.1
- installing Ndless 1.4/1.7
- dumping/reflashing the 1.0 OS
- dumping the 1.0 boot2
- flashing a 1.1 OS
- flashing a 1.1 boot2


Hi! I'm wondering how did you "see" the /phx and other folders? Thanks!
Do you also know what kind of "language" the calculator uses? I've came across few commands (fput, fget, scrn, mkdir, dir) and I would like to know if there is a list of this commands.


Last edited by Guest on 29 Nov 2010 09:31:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
critor


Member


Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 132

Posted: 03 Dec 2010 06:49:07 am    Post subject:

ExtendeD wrote:

From http://www.unitedti.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8191&view=findpost&p=142877 :
ShiPa wrote:

Everybody thanks for assistance, now I can run BASIC-programs running under nspire_emu_032 with OS 1.7. Now i'm looking for a way to install ndless1.7 with nspire_emu_032. Readme contains no information

There is no specific installation procedure for the emulator. But I'm adding this section to the ReadMe file:

Code:
How do I install it on nspire_emu/Ncubate?
==========================================

Use the "connect" command of the emulator, then send 'ndless_installer.tns' and
'ndless_resources.tns' from the calcbin/ directory to any directory of the
emulated calculator.

Open 'ndless_installer' from the Documents screen of the calculator and wait a
few seconds for the installation.



I've tried it severall times with nspire_emu 032 and OS 1.7. I'm getting the busy pointer for some seconds and a dirty screen exactly like on the real hardware. But then, instead of the "installed" dialog box, I'm getting a full reboot...



garbage wrote:
Hi! I'm wondering how did you "see" the /phx and other folders? Thanks!
Do you also know what kind of "language" the calculator uses? I've came across few commands (fput, fget, scrn, mkdir, dir) and I would like to know if there is a list of this commands.


Through modified Java code which has been extracted from the TI-Nspire Computer Link 1.0 jar files.
Back to top
Goplat


Advanced Newbie


Joined: 26 Jun 2007
Posts: 95

Posted: 03 Dec 2010 01:55:20 pm    Post subject:

critor wrote:

I've tried it severall times with nspire_emu 032 and OS 1.7. I'm getting the busy pointer for some seconds and a dirty screen exactly like on the real hardware. But then, instead of the "installed" dialog box, I'm getting a full reboot...
I've noticed that too. I believe success or failure depends on the state of the OS heap. Try doing something that will make the OS allocate some memory, like opening the examples folder or something, then run the installer. That works for me.
Back to top
bsl


Advanced Newbie


Joined: 09 Jan 2010
Posts: 94

Posted: 03 Dec 2010 02:25:53 pm    Post subject:

Goplat wrote:

critor wrote:

I've tried it severall times with nspire_emu 032 and OS 1.7. I'm getting the busy pointer for some seconds and a dirty screen exactly like on the real hardware. But then, instead of the "installed" dialog box, I'm getting a full reboot...
I've noticed that too. I believe success or failure depends on the state of the OS heap. Try doing something that will make the OS allocate some memory, like opening the examples folder or something, then run the installer. That works for me.

Thats strange ?? Confused
I have been having success with the emulator with Ndless1.3/1.4/1.7 , but
I am using the older beta release[first non warmboot version - not the most recent beta release],
and modified versions of the emulator - usblink changes only.
Back to top
Vadko


Newbie


Joined: 09 Jul 2009
Posts: 5

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 11:43:01 am    Post subject:

Just a question:
Since it was possible to emulate NES on the TI-nspire, why is so difficult to emulate the TI-89 Titanium on TI-Nspire? I believe it would be very nice to see how would the TI-89t OS perform on the nspire processor.
Maybe its difficult because nobody tried to do it yet.
Back to top
Levak


Advanced Newbie


Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 94

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 12:48:05 pm    Post subject:

Vadko wrote:

Just a question:
Since it was possible to emulate NES on the TI-nspire, why is so difficult to emulate the TI-89 Titanium on TI-Nspire? I believe it would be very nice to see how would the TI-89t OS perform on the nspire processor.
Maybe its difficult because nobody tried to do it yet.

The TI-89 emulator exists. But calc84maniac hasn't distributed (any ?) sources of it due to an ethic problem. You buy a nonCAS Nspire, and you can emulate a CAS calculator ?
Back to top
Vadko


Newbie


Joined: 09 Jul 2009
Posts: 5

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 01:34:44 pm    Post subject:

Levak wrote:

Vadko wrote:

Just a question:
Since it was possible to emulate NES on the TI-nspire, why is so difficult to emulate the TI-89 Titanium on TI-Nspire? I believe it would be very nice to see how would the TI-89t OS perform on the nspire processor.
Maybe its difficult because nobody tried to do it yet.

The TI-89 emulator exists. But calc84maniac hasn't distributed (any ?) sources of it due to an ethic problem. You buy a nonCAS Nspire, and you can emulate a CAS calculator ?


I don't know, at least would be nice to test it.
Back to top
calc84maniac


Elite


Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Posts: 770

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 01:38:14 pm    Post subject:

Actually, it no longer exists because of that hard drive failure I had last year. Haven't gotten around to starting that project again.
Back to top
Levak


Advanced Newbie


Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 94

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 01:48:16 pm    Post subject:

calc84maniac wrote:

Actually, it no longer exists because of that hard drive failure I had last year. Haven't gotten around to starting that project again.



Well, It has existed Laughing
Back to top
Galandros


Active Member


Joined: 29 Aug 2008
Posts: 565

Posted: 27 Jan 2011 07:05:59 pm    Post subject:

It existed and now disappeared. But you can watch some videos of it. xD

I am more anxious to see a good z80 calculators emulator in Nspire, though.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 7 of 7 » All times are GMT - 5 Hours

 

Advertisement