Others' Photos :: LEGO Amfleet
Others' Albums (17) [Back up to Projects]
 
Starting the project: after some time spent designing virtually, I ordered a superset of the parts I thought I would need to wrestle with the problem of the roof.

Starting the project: after some time spent designing virtually, I ordered a superset of the parts I thought I would need to wrestle with the problem of the roof.
First, I prototyped the side of the car, based on the successful models I had made in Stud.io

First, I prototyped the side of the car, based on the successful models I had made in Stud.io
Then began extensive iteration on the roof in Stud.io and in real life, trying to find a roof that was the right shape and could actually be constructed.

Then began extensive iteration on the roof in Stud.io and in real life, trying to find a roof that was the right shape and could actually be constructed.
One failed experiment used 2433 hinge bars to try to get myself more angles

One failed experiment used 2433 hinge bars to try to get myself more angles
Another view of that experiment.

Another view of that experiment.
Another experiment (foreground) used overlapping sections of 60471 locking hinge pieces to avoid a roof core entirely, but yielded gaps that are too large and a roof that's too rounded.

Another experiment (foreground) used overlapping sections of 60471 locking hinge pieces to avoid a roof core entirely, but yielded gaps that are too large and a roof that's too rounded.
View underneath that particular idea.

View underneath that particular idea.
Trying out more variations on using a 2540 1x2 plate with handle + 2555 1x1 tile with clip + Technic half-pin

Trying out more variations on using a 2540 1x2 plate with handle + 2555 1x1 tile with clip + Technic half-pin
To try to stretch the possibilities I'm considering, adding 1x2 hinged blocks to the mix and seeing if they provide new possibilities.

To try to stretch the possibilities I'm considering, adding 1x2 hinged blocks to the mix and seeing if they provide new possibilities.
Testing an unstable balancing act of locking hinges plus handle-and-modified-tile SNOT.

Testing an unstable balancing act of locking hinges plus handle-and-modified-tile SNOT.
After finally discovering the 26047 1x1 plate with handle, I came up with my first section that actually provided the shape I needed.

After finally discovering the 26047 1x1 plate with handle, I came up with my first section that actually provided the shape I needed.
Improving the tileability of that roof, looking from the end.

Improving the tileability of that roof, looking from the end.
Further improved, and tiled to a large section, top view.

Further improved, and tiled to a large section, top view.
Combining the result with the existing side of the car, and beginning to figure out how to support the roof without occupying the entire interior.

Combining the result with the existing side of the car, and beginning to figure out how to support the roof without occupying the entire interior.
My palette of tests and experiments, before I cleared away all the failed ones and focused on the best roof.

My palette of tests and experiments, before I cleared away all the failed ones and focused on the best roof.
Looking end-on into a half-built section of the car, complete with the new gray seats and navy-blue carpet.

Looking end-on into a half-built section of the car, complete with the new gray seats and navy-blue carpet.
Starting to prototype the vestibules on the end. Managing to get the proper shape all the way to the end of the car will be a significant challenge.

Starting to prototype the vestibules on the end. Managing to get the proper shape all the way to the end of the car will be a significant challenge.
 

Advertisement