Inspired by Kerm's progress with calculator-based GPS, I figured I should write something with TI-BASIC implementing a number of tools found in my preferred GPS program. Currently running on TI-86 and 68k, this sample code can slice the messages stored in a string into list elements, and the 68k version can display coordinates. Because z80 doesn't support null strings, nor can it create lists with string elements, it's much messier. It also doesn't help not having inString( in TI-86 BASIC.

Code:
PROGRAM:NMEA
:If sub(gpsdata,1,1)≠"$"
:"$"+gpsdata→gpsdata
:{0}→nmeaout
:2→y
:For(x,1,lngth gpsdata
:If sub(gpsdata,x,1)=","
:Then
:x+1→nmeaout(y)
:y+1→y
:End
:If sub(gpsdata,lngth gpsdata-2,1)=="*"
:lngth gpsdata-1→nmeaout(y
:lngth gpsdata+2→nmeaout(y+1
:2→nmeaout(1
:{0}→nmeadiff
:For(x,1,dimL nmeaout-1
:nmeaout(x+1)-nmeaout(x)-1→nmeadiff(x

Eventually I'll have it check the data inside and turn it into something readable by people. I still haven't decided how to get the data to the calculator, which will either be by the Calcnet2-86 released in the very very distant future or via direct linking with Get( commands.

I'm also unsure of how the multi-sentence GPGSV messages would be received. My current idea of the GPS-over-Cn2 receiver would place the most recent message in the buffer, and the calc would read the buffer until it finds a supported NMEA sentence. However, it's likely that one of the two-or-so GPGSV sentences would be overwritten before the calc can grab the other message. So currently I've decided to not implement the GPGSV features, so no live satellite map.

*bump*
May 2014:
5th: I've decided to finish this after finding it on my calculator and realizing how little effort is required to add basic functionality. I've also decided to throw in support for the default link protocol (Get command).

7th: I've fixed several bugs in the above message splicer (which shouldn't even work), and cheated a little in order to make sure that there's a "$" in front of every sentence. In addition, it's purely a subprogram; however, displaying the output isn't such a complex procedure anymore. Because TI-Z80 doesn't like empty strings, null data elements still need to be checked for.

8th:I'm starting a basic UI, which currently doesn't read the NMEA data and just displays some dummy values until I find a quick and effective way to deliver that data. Targeting TI-85 semicompatibility (since it won't get calcnet), I'm avoiding the graphscreen except for non-text things.

I wrote a subprogram for the sole purpose for translating GPGGA sentences into positions; it runs in about four seconds on the TI-86, and is a fairly hefty 534 bytes. However, it caches the data element positions, enabling very fast execution (1.5-ish seconds) if the positions in the NMEA 0183 sentence have been previously determined.

9th: I've decided to use the above GPGGA translator instead of the general-purpose subprogram I've included the source of here, since execution is much faster (see below).
TI-85: 1.55 seconds uncached, 0.48 seconds cached
TI-86: 5.45 seconds uncached, 1.95 seconds cached
The huge difference in speed (379%) results from the TI-86's RAM paging; the GPGGA calculator does a lot of variable access, and since these variables are not in the first 16 kB of RAM (I have some projects on here already, using 22 kB), the TI-86 uses additional computing time to access the data.

I spent some time doing more optimization of the GPGGA translator (along with a relatively blazing 83-series* port and a TI-68k port), and these are the new timings:
TI-84 Plus: 0.38 seconds uncached, 0.15 seconds cached
TI-85: 0.85 seconds uncached, 0.47 seconds cached
TI-86: 3.50 seconds uncached, 1.95 seconds cached
TI-89 Titanium: 0.38 seconds uncached, 0.20 seconds cached

* The "$" preceding each NMEA 0183 sentence needs to be replaced with a character that the TI-83 would allow in a string; nothing checks what that first character is, so it doesn't matter what it becomes.

10th: I'm still finding ways to optimize the GPGGA translator, shaving 0.1 seconds off of the TI-85's uncached time and 0.4 seconds off of the TI-86's uncached time. Making a similar optimization to the TI-84 Plus and TI-89 versions (but using inString to completely eliminate loops) should allow it to run almost instantaneously. I may have reached the optimization limit for the string-to-real component,
Current timings:
TI-84 Plus: 0.26 seconds uncached, 0.15 seconds cached
TI-85: 0.74 seconds uncached, 0.47 seconds cached
TI-86: 3.10 seconds uncached, 1.90 seconds cached
TI-89 Titanium: 0.30 seconds uncached, 0.20 seconds cached
I'd be extremely surprised if you succeed in reading/writing NMEA messages with Get(), unless I misunderstand what you're suggesting there. On the other hand, it might be fun to port over my serial communication routines to the TI-86 at some point. Smile
Well, not alone since the bitrates wouldn't even match up, nor would they be in calculator format. I'd leave the task of translating the 4800bd 8N1 into calculator-downloadable format to an Arduino or something; but regardless, I currently lack the skill to do that myself.
CVSoft wrote:
Well, not alone since the bitrates wouldn't even match up, nor would they be in calculator format. I'd leave the task of translating the 4800bd 8N1 into calculator-downloadable format to an Arduino or something; but regardless, I currently lack the skill to do that myself.
Ahh, you're envisioning some intermediate hardware. That makes a great deal more sense, and is extremely easy with a combination of the Arduino's Serial library and my Arduino-TI linking routines.
KermMartian wrote:
and is extremely easy

if I learn a programming language that isn't TI-BASIC Razz .

*points at CBLBot* I've considered using intermediate hardware in a number of my projects in order to interface TI-BASIC directly with external devices.
CVSoft wrote:

Wow... The TI-84+ does seem to blow everything else out of the water! Great work! It is also quite impressive how you cut the timings almost in half after some optimization! Good Job!
MateoConLechuga wrote:
CVSoft wrote:

Wow... The TI-84+ does seem to blow everything else out of the water! Great work! It is also quite impressive how you cut the timings almost in half after some optimization! Good Job!

I have some ideas for even more optimization, but they aren't going to be as drastic as what I have already done, and are a bit complex.

The 84+ has the advantage of the expr( command, which the lack of on the 85-series is limiting performance. I'm currently using two St►Eq...EvalF blocks to do the conversion
Haven't worked on this one in a while...
With some new linking tools that have been produced since this programming concept was envisioned, GPS-85 has actually made some progress. I had some demo code working on TI-82 using my Python linking thingy that displayed coordinates interpreted by a Python script. However, GPS-85's goal is to interpret the NMEA 0183 sentences on-calc, minimizing the external software overhead. I've fixed a pretty nasty bug involving comma positions, and this should allow GPS-85 to work with any standard-conforming GPS.
Whooooa! I'll have to try this one out sometime. (Probably the GPS-85)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours