About a month ago, we reported on the start of ticalc.org's 2013 POTY voting. POTY, or program of the year, has been a ticalc.org tradition for many years. The community votes on the best programs released in the past twelve months, choosing from among the projects that earned Featured Program status on ticalc.org. This year, there were five categories, five weeks of voting, and five winners. Notably, every category required voting, and there were no default winners. The categories were TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus, TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI-89/TI-92 Plus, TI-Nspire, and PC.

Due to a strong push by the ticalc.org staff this year, there were many contenders for the two z80 categories and the TI-Nspire category. The results are here, and here's how everything shaped up:

:: TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus: Portal Prelude by Alex "BuilderBoy" Marcolina. This exciting 2D platform/puzzle game even gained notoriety outside the community from the Portal name and dual-portal mechanics, and was a landslide winner.

:: TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition: Doors CSE 8 by Christopher "Kerm Martian" Mitchell earned the popular vote for being a powerful shell for the new color-screen calculators and for providing TI-BASIC and ASM libraries to make future fun games and useful programs possible.

:: TI-89/TI-92 Plus: Desgolf by Ralf Willenbacher, a fancy 3D FPS for the 68k calculators. Like the FAT Engine-powered games of yesteryear, it offers smooth, exciting grayscale FPS gameplay.

:: TI-Nspire: Minecraft 2D by Jens Kolbinger, a 2D homage to everyone's favorite cube sandbox game. Written in Lua, Jen's game has instantly familiar graphics and mechanics.

:: PC: TokenIDE by Cemetech administrator Shaun "Merthsoft" McFall. This complete offline TI-BASIC IDE is peerless and packed with features like an editor, sprite editor, GUI creator, and more.

Congratulations to all the winners and candidates, and we look forward to another exciting POTY in 2014.
Congrats to all the winners! Good work everyone Smile
Pokeman Red Blue Silver v1.337 didn't win?? Shock
DJ_O wrote:
Pokeman Red Blue Silver v1.337 didn't win?? Shock
Haha, it was a huge shock to me as well.

And congratulations to you, Merthsoft! My only regret is that TokenIDE didn't win by a bigger landslide. I'm thrilled that Doors CSE won POTY 2013, and I am impressed at the high score that Steins;Gate got as well. I must say that I expected Doors CSE to win by a bigger margin, which speaks to the excellent of Calc84Maniac's work. Congratulations again to my fellow winners and to all the superb programs that didn't quite make POTY.
Anyway, congrats to you and Merth, and of course the other participants as well. Very Happy
Quote:
Due to a strong push by the ticalc.org staff this year

A strong push which was fueled by cooperation with TI-Planet staff, as mentioned twice by Ryan Wink

DoorsCSE 8 and Delsgolf were obvious winners, but it's extremely disappointing to see that a game - even a good one - winning the Nspire category, rather than nLaunchy, which is both far more technical and far more useful. Speaks volumes about the sorry state of the community IMO...
DJ_O wrote:
Anyway, congrats to you and Merth, and of course the other participants as well. Very Happy
Thanks, we appreciate it. I'm sure I speak for both of us in looking forward to people using both of our POTY-winning entries to create fun, well-crafted utilities, educational programs, and games for the z80 calculators.
Congrats to all winners and contestants Very Happy (meh, IkarugaX didn't make it ... I guess it was obvious that Portal would win, seeing how poopular the license is)

By the way, it's POTY 2013, not 2014 Razz
Good job to all.

I really do like Portal Prelude...
While your getting in on the action, you can download my Portal Prelude level packs also.
Cause then when you beat all the levels included, you can really challenge yourself, with my doom and destruction!
Then you can make levels cause I'm bored of playing my own Razz

I wish everyone here good programming for this year.
matrefeytontias wrote:
Congrats to all winners and contestants Very Happy (meh, IkarugaX didn't make it ... I guess it was obvious that Portal would win, seeing how poopular the license is)

By the way, it's POTY 2013, not 2014 Razz
Thanks for noticing that; I fixed it earlier when I read your post. What do you mean about the "license" being popular? You mean Valve's Portal games and the fact that it uses the name?

16aroth6 wrote:
Good job to all.
[...]
I wish everyone here good programming for this year.
I hope so too! And if you see a really cool program that another member has released, don't forget to email Ryan (Phero) suggesting that it be featured and explaining why you think it deserves featuring, for example, a technical breakthrough, an addictive and highly-polished game, and so on.
Yes that. Not sure if it was correct English, that's how you say it in French.
Great Work Cemetech!

Was very nice to see Doors CSE 8 and TokenIDE get up and take the bacon.

Congratulations to all entrants, its was a good year for calculators when looking back.

Here's to 2014 Smile.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Quote:
Due to a strong push by the ticalc.org staff this year

A strong push which was fueled by cooperation with TI-Planet staff, as mentioned twice by Ryan Wink

DoorsCSE 8 and Delsgolf were obvious winners, but it's extremely disappointing to see that a game - even a good one - winning the Nspire category, rather than nLaunchy, which is both far more technical and far more useful. Speaks volumes about the sorry state of the community IMO...
I don't think this is only in the TI community. I see it happen on a regular basis in the music business and even in computer game dev it happens. I once uploaded a Justin Bieber metal cover demo on Bandcamp for April Fools Day and it still holds the record for my most streamed song in a day on that site. To get your work out there in the world, you have to use big franchise names it seems nowadays (although I must say that Minecraft 2D is incredibly impressive. I would have voted for it as runner-up to nLaunchy if I could vote for two Nspire programs).
tr1p1ea wrote:
Great Work Cemetech!

Was very nice to see Doors CSE 8 and TokenIDE get up and take the bacon.

Congratulations to all entrants, its was a good year for calculators when looking back.

Here's to 2014 Smile.
Doors CSE 8 wouldn't have been half as awesome without xLIBC in there for BASIC programmers. I just hope we get some more and bigger hybrid BASIC games being written for it to take advantage of all that power you crammed in there.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours