Hey guys.

Never posted here before but have been lurking for many years. Anyways I added an electroluminescent backlight to my TI-84+ SE. This was made possible because Adafruit is now selling EL panels and tiny EL inverters. Theres a complete write-up and instructions over here.

Don't let Kerm catch you using MirageOS!

Looks like you've done a great job on the modification, well done. Smile
That looks awesome. How hard was separating the screen I have always been baffled by how hard it can be.
That's intensely cool, dude. Looks really nice, though like Geekboy I wonder about how hard removing the screen-backing can be. Still - EL sure looks better than any LEDs.
That is really awesome. I would totally try that if I could trust myself with pulling my calculator apart. I went on the website with the panels and I noticed that you can get them in white instead of blue. I would rather have blue if I did it, though.
Seperating the LCD is not for the faint of heart, but its doable with enough patience. I followed basically the same procedure as this guy. Soak it in rubbing alcohol and slide a thin piece of plastic between the LCD and the metal plate. The best tool I found for seperating the LCD turned out to be an extra bit of the EL panel itself. More details here.

And heres a picture:
I really need to try this. At the very least make a handful to supply to people who are willing to pay for them and there installation!
unlimitedbacon wrote:
Seperating the LCD is not for the faint of heart, but its doable with enough patience. I followed basically the same procedure as this guy. Soak it in rubbing alcohol and slide a thin piece of plastic between the LCD and the metal plate. The best tool I found for seperating the LCD turned out to be an extra bit of the EL panel itself. More details here
Yup, that's the technique that I've been using for many a year. I usually pour drops of isopropyl alcohol into the holes in the metal ballast plate behind the screen, wait for it to soak for a while, then use a thin plastic card (a Metrocard, as it happens), to gradually separate the metal plate and the reflector. Unlimitedbacon: you should Introduce Yourself when you get a chance.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours