How am I supposed to download Linux Fedora on a fast comp if it(says) it takes aroun 6Days and 8Hours? I am trying to get the 5 Fedora and it does'nt look like much is going to be able to happen while I am trying to get Fedora 5 on my comp.

Also my bro was contridicting my dission(as usual) about getting Linux period, he said it sucks(horrible reason why not to get it), no one uses it(another horrible reason) and that because its open source and what ever making it way to liable for hackers to get in and viruses to screw it. Is any of this a problem with you guys? I personaly do not believe that any of this is a problem, and that some may not be true. He also suggested that I get Windows Business, since its 'What I am looking for' if I want Linux.

-Swivel
swivelgames wrote:
How am I supposed to download Linux Fedora on a fast comp if it(says) it takes aroun 6Days and 8Hours? I am trying to get the 5 Fedora and it does'nt look like much is going to be able to happen while I am trying to get Fedora 5 on my comp.

Also my bro was contridicting my dission(as usual) about getting Linux period, he said it sucks(horrible reason why not to get it), no one uses it(another horrible reason) and that because its open source and what ever making it way to liable for <font color=red>censored</font> to get in and viruses to screw it. Is any of this a problem with you guys? I personaly do not believe that any of this is a problem, and that some may not be true. He also suggested that I get Windows Business, since its 'What I am looking for' if I want Linux.

-Swivel

he is obviously clueless. a linux virus. hah. thats funny.
anyway, just dual boot.
Tell him that a virus won't happen because nothing can be installed unless you are root (which would be dumb to be in on general stuff), and because it is open source, bugs and holes are found quicker and solved faster. Also, most virus guys use *nix and would therfore not target it, they are mostly after Windows comps

And dual booting is not really hard
swivelgames wrote:
Also my bro was contridicting my dission(as usual) about getting Linux period, he said it sucks(horrible reason why not to get it), no one uses it(another horrible reason) and that because its open source and what ever making it way to liable for <font color=red>censored</font> to get in and viruses to screw it. Is any of this a problem with you guys? I personaly do not believe that any of this is a problem, and that some may not be true. He also suggested that I get Windows Business, since its 'What I am looking for' if I want Linux.

your brother is horribly confused.

1) linux doesn't suck - it is wicked fast compared to windows

2) linux has basically ZERO viruses. It is SO SECURE that you don't even need any antivirus apps. Also, it has ZERO malware and adware. So far open source is proving much harder to break into that closed source, mainly because you have just as many people looking for holes to FIX them as you do people trying to exploit them.

3) a large percentage of webservers run linux. Linux usage in desktops is growing as well

4) Windows Business - wtf is that crap? no one needs it

--REPEATED FROM THE INSOMNIAC TOPIC--

Oh, and don't get fedora, get Ubuntu (basically "linux for n00bs") - http://www.ubuntu.com/ its only a 1 cd download (700mb)
I'm going to deleate the repeat posts in the other topic, plus moving this to comp/calc open topic
rivereye wrote:
I'm going to deleate the repeat posts in the other topic,

lemme edit mine, dont' delete it, i had something else in it....
ok, I'll leave them then, you got lucky there
rivereye wrote:
ok, I'll leave them then, you got lucky there

lucky in that you read this before doing any deleting? Wink
yeah, now back on topic
There's no such thing as "Windows Business." Confused
jpez wrote:
There's no such thing as "Windows Business." Confused

i assumed he meant WinXP Pro (or win2003)
We can only speculate...
or just call him a computer n00b
Indeed rivereye, indeed.
rivereye wrote:

Do you ever post multiple sentences? Or is a period just a foreign concept to you.
allynfolksjr wrote:
rivereye wrote:

Do you ever post multiple sentences? Or is a period just a foreign concept to you.
Rivereye is what he is. Laughing
I had never heard of Windows Business ethar, he said to get it and he knows what Pro and all that stuff is, hes like a Windows freak. I hate M$ much, I have never used Linux, and what are the differances between Fedora and utbootawaga shooba tribal linux? Its for n00bs yes, but I think I would like more complex, the 1 CD download does sound releaving, but the fact that in the other topic it was prooven that it looked like poop. lolz. Please explain which on is better, while I download utbootawaga shooba tribal linux and boot it on my compy Razz .

-Swivel

EDIT: I found something that may be of intrest to users of Linux. its Windows Virtual PC, you can obviously use your other operating system while through Windows Confused huh.

Screeny Click Here

Click Here to see more info on Virtual 2005 Server and what operating systems it can run during windows.

Click Here to download Virtual PC and its differant versions. Also at the bottom of the first link(not pic) that I posted there are differant links to view the differant download sites. Including Ben Armstrong, not sure if any of you heard of him, but I have. Never seen anything of his but heard alot of good things about him.

Bochs Emulator may be of use to you. it does'nt cost anything.

EDIT 2(2:00am, lolz):
I just got done making downloading the utbootawaga shooba tribal linux and am burning it to a CD. The funny thing is, is that I started typing right as I started burning the disc, and with using the NERO burner it was done before I finished typing my first sentence. Talk about fast. lolz. I tried using the utbootawaga shooba tribal linux Live boot disc but it did not work too well. I am going to put utbootawaga shooba tribal linux on completely and see how it works.(I hope you know that I know what ubuntu is really called, I am just messin around.)
If you don't like the way ubuntu looks, you can definitely change that, no big deal.

However, with Ubuntu (and other debian based distros) you don't have to worry about dependencies, which can bring your linux experience to a jarring halt. With apt (a debian program which powers synaptic, and the ubuntu program installer and such) you don't have to worry about which version of glibc you have, as it automatically knows what versions and what libraries/dependencies are needed and installs them.
Swivel - make sure you know how to partition before you begin.
allynfolksjr wrote:
rivereye wrote:

I do once in a while, I like things short and sweet though. Once in a while if I see a need for it.

As for Windows business, I am a MCP, so therefore would know a M$ and Windows. I have never heard of Buisiness. Virtual PC is not good for doing Linux, more designed to run Windows in Windows (like 2k Pro and Adv Server inside XP Pro)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours