Help me... My TI-84 plus keeps saying battery low, even though i just replaced all the AAA's and the backup battery. I can get it to do the OS restore, but when i start the actual process (by clicking proceed) my computer says ERROR: The batteries on this device are low, replace them, etc... It is a school Ti-84 so i thought i would come here before having to pay 200 dollars for it. Please reply...
Are you using rechargeable batteries? If so, use alkaline AAAS instead. Rechargeable batteries only provide 1.2V each when full, so 4.8V total. Alkalines are 1.5V each, so 6V total.
KermMartian wrote:
Are you using rechargeable batteries? If so, use alkaline AAAS instead. Rechargeable batteries only provide 1.2V each when full, so 4.8V total. Alkalines are 1.5V each, so 6V total.

Im using normal alkaline, and it is supplying 6 volts. The other day I accidentally hooked up 12 volts to it, and thats when the problem happened. Any advice or is it fried?
That could definitely be a problem; I am surprised you didn't blow the fuse. You definitely damaged the power supply circuitry in some way, though, which explains the symptoms you're seeing. I am afraid there's not a lot you can do about that.
KermMartian wrote:
That could definitely be a problem; I am surprised you didn't blow the fuse. You definitely damaged the power supply circuitry in some way, though, which explains the symptoms you're seeing. I am afraid there's not a lot you can do about that.

Hey, Thanks for your help. I was trying to make a battery pack for it, but since i'm 14 and just starting out with small circuits, the voltage regulator got completely bypassed (my bad Sad). On the bright side the screen still works, and I want to replace the motherboard with a raspberry pi and have it (the pi) send info to the screen. If you have any suggestions about doing this (e.g. any information about the Ti 84 screen or making linux drivers for it) feel free to share this with me.

Thank you again,
Robbie
Yep, we have lots of people experienced with both there. Too bad you didn't come to us before you finished the supply circuit; we would have insisted you test with a multimeter before hooking it up. Feel free to introduce yourself, stick around, and keep asking questions.
KermMartian wrote:
Yep, we have lots of people experienced with both there. Too bad you didn't come to us before you finished the supply circuit; we would have insisted you test with a multimeter before hooking it up. Feel free to introduce yourself, stick around, and keep asking questions.

I will certainly stick around. I have been looking for a website about hacking (hardware and software wise) these calculators for a while now.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours