tr1p1ea wrote:
calc84 spoke about porting his engine to the CSE as well (well more like added to his todo list). I jokingly made a deal that he can do fzero and i can do mariokart! Though I doubt anything more than a demo will come of this, I would like people to try it (when its in a more usable form).

Here is another screenie without the free rainbow road:

Also as Runer noted, the angles/elevation/scale/distances etc are all out of whack as this is a proof of concept. This can be adjusted and will need to be if its going to be any use to anyone.
I have failed to post a response to this thread for far too long, but I want to encourage you to keep working on this now that the new iteration of xLIBC is complete and published. I suspect both that this engine would be helpful to calc84-esque programmers interested in making FZero or similar games on the TI-84+CSE, but why not do it yourself?
Quickly ported a test to the CE - just random memory as input for now ... there are some issues with the movement and stuff but it runs ok for a start.

Awesome! I read through the previous posts and saw you has plans for a Mariokart-esque game. Are there any plans for further use of the project?
I *was* planning on a Mario Kart-esque style game, though not with any copyright material etc - though maybe in testing stages!

That looks really cool! What language is it in for the CE?

EDIT: Also, do you control the character? Or is it just a demo that moves on it's own?
Thanks, it's written in ASM and you just press the arrows to control the character.

It is just a test however and the 'kart' sprite is just a placeholder that will eventually change more as you turn harder etc.
When this comes out, it might just force me to learn ASM.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Thanks, it's written in ASM and you just press the arrows to control the character.

It is just a test however and the 'kart' sprite is just a placeholder that will eventually change more as you turn harder etc.

Will you be releasing the source at any time? I'm trying to learn assembly specifically for making games.
Minor update - I was tossing up between sprite scaling at runtime or pre-sized sprites. The old speed vs size ... I really didnt like the idea of KB's and KB's of sprite data but I was a bit skeptical of runtime scaling. The results thus far are promising for scaling as shown here:

At present I can have 8 of these 24x24 sprites on screen and still maintain 32fps. Of course there is no collision detection, HUD, AI or anything which would slow things down further. I only plan on having 4 player races for speed reasons.

The source, like most of my experiments is all over the place. I am hopeful of being able to tidy it up and release the source should this project be completed.

I also added a scrolling background as well to make things look a little more like a proper racing game:

That is simply incredible. I can't wait to see what sorts of goodies get to be added! Keep up the great work Smile

Out of curiosity; would it be possible to support things like trees and things like that on the edges of the track? I've found that's what really gives things a sense of depth Smile
Thanks Smile. Trees and stuff will be entirely possible, but it will depend on the performance hit is all.

EDIT - After a lot of difficulty I finally got object rendering working with sufficient accuracy:

Note that I'm driving slow so I can properly look at the object as it approaches.

This was one of the harder things on the ToDo list, so I'm glad I've made progress Smile.
Wow! I am truly amazed by the progress you have made. Best project 2018!
tr1p1ea wrote:
Thanks Smile. Trees and stuff will be entirely possible, but it will depend on the performance hit is all.

EDIT - After a lot of difficulty I finally got object rendering working with sufficient accuracy:

Note that I'm driving slow so I can properly look at the object as it approaches.

This was one of the harder things on the ToDo list, so I'm glad I've made progress Smile.

***jcgter777 is mindblown

HOW???!?!

Just Joking Going great! After it's done, how hard would it be to make it 2-playered?
That looks super cool! I see that the other play has the same steering control as you? Keep up the great work Smile
Thanks and yeah thats just a test sprite ... the same sprite as what i'm controlling Smile.
Whats next on the checklist? Are you going to call it Oiramkart or something?
xMarminq_ wrote:
Whats next on the checklist? Are you going to call it Oiramkart or something?

Of course not! It should be Oiramtrak, or trakoiram. Just Joking

That does sound good!
Hahaha not sure about the name as yet lol, I suppose I could get creative like that.

Next on the list is object rendering based on direction (directional sprites) - which I'm pleased to say wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be:

That looks so dang cool, I have to make sure I don't break my calculator before this comes out! (It's already cracked, the side).
That moment when you have a Ti 84 plus CE Crying

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 10
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours