As you guys know, I recently published my second book, "Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus". Though reviews are very favorable so far, there aren't many of them on Amazon. Competing publishers (namely the Dummies guides) seem to have gotten a lot of teachers and other readers to review their books, probably by offering them free eBooks. Well, we're prepared to do the same, and we welcome your review, whether positive, negative, or mixed. If you'd like a free eBook of the book, in exchange for writing an honest and unbiased Amazon review, please PM me. If you already have "Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus", can I please ask you to write a review? You will have my eternal gratitude.

Edit: In rare circumstances, namely if you are a math teacher and have trouble reading eBooks, my publisher has a small number of print books that may be available. Feel free to PM me if you fall into this category.
Em, well, I have a hard time reading e-books due to circumstances, but really, I'd take an e-book if I couldn't get a hardcopy... You remember, I gave you my address a while back. I haven't gotten a book since then, though.
Wish I could read it, but I'm already busy reading two other books at the moment about other stuffs, which is alread blocking me Sad

Btw, congratulations on publishing!
CalebHansberry wrote:
Em, well, I have a hard time reading e-books due to circumstances, but really, I'd take an e-book if I couldn't get a hardcopy... You remember, I gave you my address a while back. I haven't gotten a book since then, though.
Yep, I passed it along when you gave it to me. Smile

PacMani wrote:
Wish I could read it, but I'm already busy reading two other books at the moment about other stuffs, which is alread blocking me Sad

Btw, congratulations on publishing!
Thanks! Let me know if you get some free time in your reading schedule in the future.
Um, that wasn't quite what I was getting at, I was getting at that I never did receive a book, though I don't know what the timeframe is supposed to be. If it was been too long and they don't want to send me an actual book, I'd take an eBook!
Fair enough, thanks Caleb. Smile I think it's just that they haven't gotten around to send out a print book, hopefully, but I'll mention that you're willing to look into an eBook if they get to my current email soon. Any other takers?
*bump* Any other takers? Should I cross-post this to Omnimaga?
I'll take a copy! It'll be nice to see how I can improve my use of my calculator.
ordelore wrote:
I'll take a copy! It'll be nice to see how I can improve my use of my calculator.
Yep, I got you from when you posted your interest in IRC. Thanks. Smile
I didn't see this topic till now. I will take a copy if you need some reviews. Besides I always need a helpful guide to my calculator.
zeldaking wrote:
I didn't see this topic till now. I will take a copy if you need some reviews. Besides I always need a helpful guide to my calculator.
May I use the email address that you used for submitting your Contest 10 entry? And thanks!
Hi Chris,
I will purchase your book and review it if you would be kind enough to send an addendum that would help me to get the most from the new TI 84 Color calculator while using your book.
mrabourn wrote:
Hi Chris,
I will purchase your book and review it if you would be kind enough to send an addendum that would help me to get the most from the new TI 84 Color calculator while using your book.
Mrabourn, I'd be more than happy to do so. That'll give me the impetus I need to write such a guide, as I've been meaning to do so for quite some time.
Thanks Chris,
That would be great and I could include the fact that the author has a free electronic addendum for those who have purchased a TI-84 color calc. It might help separate your book from the Dummies one.
mrabourn wrote:
Thanks Chris,
That would be great and I could include the fact that the author has a free electronic addendum for those who have purchased a TI-84 color calc. It might help separate your book from the Dummies one.
Definitely. One of the things I'm actually discussing with my publisher is a second printing that either intersperses the necessary information into the chapters, or includes it as an appendix. By the way, just to clarify, "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus", which does not have a "Dummies" counterpart, is the one that doesn't mention the color calculator (it came out before the calculator existed). "Using the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" discusses the color TI-84+CSE thoroughly.
That is good to know. I have already purchased your programming book and noticed it didn't mention the TI 84 C so I thought that would be the case for the other book. Anyway, I will purchase the book on using the calculator, write a review, and post it on Amazon. Thanks.
mrabourn wrote:
That is good to know. I have already purchased your programming book and noticed it didn't mention the TI 84 C so I thought that would be the case for the other book. Anyway, I will purchase the book on using the calculator, write a review, and post it on Amazon. Thanks.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Smile And for my part, I'll do my best to sketch together that appendix as soon as possible and send it along.
Hi. I've read the "Using" and am well into the "Programming". I must say they're very well written, with numerous straightforward examples and screenshots. Usually Amazon UK will email me about 2 weeks after a purchase and ask for a review, but if they don't get round to it for some reason I'll submit the reviews anyway.
As expected, they mainly (so far) tell me stuff I know, but have several little snippets I didn't know or wouldn't have thought of (which is what I hoped when buying them). The writing style is lively and maintains interest well; obviously aimed at beginners but not condescending.
I'm glad to hear that a reprinting may be considered. There are a few little proof-reading niggles which I hope can be addressed. I expect you already found most of these, but here are two of the most embarrassing: Red book p 332, "You can only take the ... tan^-1( of values between -1 and 1." Yellow book p46, "3/5 = 0.4".
I hope you are assured that I don't mention these in a critical tone: it must be very hard to write a book and avoid any errors getting through. The books are really great value for money, but if there's a chance to make them even better, go for it! Personally I'd also have preferred to see the widely-used name "probability density function" instead of the more ambiguous "probability distribution function", but I can't see it messing up any of the readers, as the meaning and purpose of the pdfs are extremely well explained, especially considering the constraints under which the book is written (i.e. not a Stats textbook).
Thanks for the books! I'll be downloading the e-versions too when I get round to it, but hard copy remains my preference.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours