hello all!

i currently am playing with my raspberry pi, and i want to link it to my amplifier. but my pc is connected to it too..

i have a 2 way audio splitter (3.5 mm one), can i just plug that into my pc and raspberry pi, and lead it to the amplifier?

you may ask how i did this, because a splitter generally has 2 female and one male, heres how:

i have the existing male in my raspberry pi's audio out, i have a extension cord (m-m) leading from one of the females of the splitter to my pc's audio out. my amplifier set is plugged in via the other female on the splitter..

my question is, would this situation be harmful? i constantly switch the pc and raspberry pi now. but i want to avoid the need to switch. plugging it in another slot on the amp is off limits, because it doesnt have more..
I don't think you will run into any issues unless both are trying to output at the same time.
No, you should not do that. Each output will drive the other output as well as the input, which will at best lead to distortion and at worst to damage to your equipment. You need either a physical switch or a mixer.
Listen to Kerm, not me. He knows what he's talking about.
okay thanks, how would i go about making something like that as cheap as possible?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours