I want to make BlockDude for the contest. So far I've managed to decode the original level data! It wasn't so bad except that I don't really know asm, and the data is Huffman encoded, so I had to kind of guess my way around. For example, I thought "cp 128" would set z if a == 128, so that made my code a little confused for a while Razz
Here's a screenshot of the data decompressed:

To make sure I did it right, I commented the code with the assembly, so it looks kinda funny:

Code:
         private void nec(ref int curLoc, ref byte mask) {
            // ld   a,(mask)
            // rrca      
            // ld   (mask),a
            mask = (byte)(mask >> 1);
            // cp   128      
            // ret   nz
            if (mask != 0) { // Because it's a rotate, if it's 0 it's 128. If it's not 128 (0) get out of here
               return;
            }
            // If it is 128 (0), then increment
            // inc   hl      
            // ld   (curloc),hl   
            // ret         
            mask = 128;
            curLoc++;
         }

Obviously this isn't calculator code right now, but I just need to convert this to a form that makes sense to xLib. Also expect some sort of level editor!

Expect some screenshots of sprites etc. tonight!
merthsoft wrote:
For example, I thought "cp 128" would set z if a == 128, so that made my code a little confused for a while Razz

It does, though! the ret nz basically means it returns if A is not 128.

Also, cool! It will be nice to have a color version ported!
Xeda112358 wrote:
It does, though! the ret nz basically means it returns if A is not 128.
See, clearly I'm very confused about all of this. The good news is that I eventually got it figured out Razz

Xeda112358 wrote:
Also, cool! It will be nice to have a color version ported!
Yeah, I thought it would be a nice addition, and probably a better fit for BASIC than DinoPuzzle... At this rate, by the end of the week we'll have everything except for PuzzleFrenzy on the color!
I think I should call dibs on porting PuzzleFrenzy; many was the hour and day I spent fretting over solutions to that game. Good luck on this entry, Merthsoft, and of course don't forget that you can't share code from your actual entry before the deadline. Smile
Dude, you can't just share the passwords like that!

But cool project, can't wait to see how it turns out Smile
I'll be changing the passwords, silly! Glad everyone approves so far Smile
level editor sounds nice too; did the previous game even have one?
merthsoft wrote:

Yeah, but perhaps not everyone has beaten the original Wink
elfprince13 wrote:
merthsoft wrote:

Yeah, but perhaps not everyone has beaten the original Wink
Heh, well, now they can get to level 4 Razz

LuxenD wrote:
level editor sounds nice too; did the previous game even have one?
It did not.
And here it is in calculator-land!

(Graphical glitched due to emulator!)
I was thinking of maybe doing 16x16 sprites because of how little there is to the first couple of levels, but given the later ones, I think this'll be okay Very Happy

Just a little HUD:
Wow, that is ridiculously fast work! That Level/Moves line looks rather familiar; what would happen if you put that on a single line so that more of the level could be displayed? Also, I am trying to deal with those graphical glitches in jsTIfied's screenshotting mechanism, but I'm having a hard time tracking them down.
I think for now at least this'll be the interface. Tomorrow I'll start work on actual gameplay:
Very good! Do you plan to include the levels from Trapped too, by the way?
What's trapped? I might as well if I have time Very Happy
It was from a short-lived community member who was MaxCoderz staff in 2004. It's similar to Block Dude, but has different obstacles and stuff. When Apcalc ported Block Dude to the TI-Nspire, I think he included the Trapped levels.

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/362/36212.html
Hmm, I think because of the time constraint I won't worry too much about all those extra features. Maybe in a later release Very Happy

Anyway, progress!
Looks great!
Thanks! Levels 1-3 are now completely playable!
I had a little glitch with Level 3:

But I fixed it Very Happy

Level 4 has some problems:

And don't worry, the passwords are going to change before the final release!
Looking good!
Wowowow. Great work!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours