Looks very great! To be honest, I prefer the purple background, since on the turquoise one, it's hard to see some of the sprites.
How's this going, Shaun? Were you able to finish the backend progress you wanted to get done on Monday?
This is going well. I finally figured out that I'm really bad at math, and got row swapping working!

(The weird thing where it keeps the egg and mushroom is an emulator glitch.)
Looking good! Smile
Thanks! Here's what I have left to do:
- Level-based speed
- Egg shells
- Start screen
- High scores

I think that about covers it. Hopefully I'll get speeds in tonight and over the weekend I can work on the other three. And then I can release a beta to all you fine folks and if it runs well enough, I'll release it!
This is great news, Merth! I definitely will be among the people beta-testing Dino Puzzle. Egg shells and designing a start screen sound relatively time-consuming, but high scores and level-based speed sound like you'll be able to pull them off fast, so I can't wait.
The hard part for the start screen is just my lack of artistic skills, so I'll just have to mess around on Paint.NET for a while until it's right.
merthsoft wrote:
The hard part for the start screen is just my lack of artistic skills, so I'll just have to mess around on Paint.NET for a while until it's right.
I can't quite remember if the original Dino Puzzle has a start screen; does it? If so, I would be more than happy to help interpret it into something that works for 160x120 and 8-bit xLIBC color.
It does indeed have one:

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Sticking with the color scheme would be a plus Smile
Your wish is my comment, Merthsoft. Smile I guess I'll have to actually grab the latest TokenIDE, though, since I usually do the 8-bit xLIBC stuff by hand.
It's probably easiest to do it by hand in an actual editor, and then convert it using Tokens. There are some nice tools in Tokens, but those are mostly for touchup as opposed to more advanced stuff.
merthsoft wrote:
It does indeed have one:

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Sticking with the color scheme would be a plus Smile
Okay, I'll try that. By the way, it just occurred to me that this needs to be a background, ie, 80x60 instead of 160x120, correct?
Yes, that is correct.
Here's what I created so far. I recommend using the DrawString function for the high score and menu options, since those are 2x2 pixels and these are 4x4 pixels:

Wow looks really nice!
So, here's how it looks:

I did some slight modifications to make everything fit better. Thoughts?
merthsoft wrote:
So, here's how it looks:

I vote moving Play/Help/Exit down a bit, but other than that I think the edits make sense.

Moved the text down and made the red on the egg edges darker.
merthsoft wrote:
The menu so far looks awesome, but that biggest egg bothers me. Could you make "Merthsoft Creations" smaller, take up two lines, or possibly overlap the egg in a way so it won't be hard to read?
How's this:

or:

or:

Edit:

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours