LuxenD wrote:
ZeldaKing wrote:
But we should have a topic for everyone (if they want) to post where they live (in generality; not addresses) so others in other states can see who lives around them

well, we do have a membermap in the about section, but im uncertain about how up-to-date that thing is, and i dont know how to add yourself to such map. maybe an update is in order?
I have just performed a full map update. Everyone that the IP to city service we use can figure out should be on there now. Only posting users are shown.
Out of curiosity, which IP address does the map use? My blip appears most closely aligned to Courtney's house, rather than my house, my apartment in Providence, or Saint Mike's.
elfprince13 wrote:
Out of curiosity, which IP address does the map use? My blip appears most closely aligned to Courtney's house, rather than my house, my apartment in Providence, or Saint Mike's.
It uses the one that you have posted most frequently from, at the time that it deduced coordinates for you. For long-time members, it might have done that years ago. The data is only accurate to within 25-60 miles, though.
1) When I got to college, after two months, I finally made accounts on various other websites apart from ticalc. I believe I first joined TI-Basic Developer, then Omnimaga, UTI, and Cemetech as those where the first to show up in a google search. I stay because it is an active extension of the calc programming community and I can discuss coding Smile
2) I am sure we do. I like math quite a bit (it's an obsession at times) and there are others like that in the community. I am not much into games, though.
3) I think the chat box placement on Omnimaga and TI-Planet is more convenient and encourages conversation. It feels more social there.
4) You listed them Wink
5) I don't know many of the members well, here.
6) Oh, yes. Yes indeed. I am good at analysing and applying computationally efficient models.
7) ++++
8] United States and I may or may not have. I think I met a lurker Razz
9) Do my homework and pay me so I don't have to work? Razz
1) How did you first learn about Cemetech and what aspect influenced you to stay?

As I recall, I was looking at resources for TI calculators a couple of months before the purchase of my 84+SE. At the time, I set up an account so I could use jsTIfied, not realizing that I actually needed a ROM for it to work. I didn't actually use my account until I got my calculator.

2) Do you feel as if we have similarities outside of calculator programming naturally. If so, what are they? For example, UT2004, Minecraft, computer and web programming, electronics, Doctor Who, and so on.

Most definitely. Programming and electronics especially. Doctor Who too.

3) For what reason(s) do you frequent Cemetech over other sites like Omnimaga or TIPlanet? (Or vise-versa)?

I've never really had a need or interest to post to Omnimaga and I don't speak French, so I also have no need for TI Planet.

4) Do you consider the community of Cemetech to have a main goal(s)? (if so, what are they?)

Pushing the capabilities of ubiquitous pieces of technology to the limit by creating innovative software and hardware projects. Creating cool stuff and helping others with all aspects of programming and electronics.

5) How do you feel your relationship is with other members?

I'd say it's good, generally. They're always very pleasant and extremely helpful, even if the questions could be considered noobish, so to speak.

6) Do you find that Cemetech (and calc programming) has helped you in the outside world?

Yeah, I think it has. I definitely think I've progressed and developed my skills as a programmer.

7) What is your favorite inside joke/lingo/shared social item?

Sharing Britishisms with benryves. Smile

Cool What country are you from (if you feel like sharing)? Have you ever met any other Cemetech member in person?

England. No one as yet.

9) What (if anything) could we do to attract you to spend more time on Cemetech?

As comic mentioned earlier, a revival of the BASIC elite would be good, especially considering everybody's new found interest for TI-BASIC with the arrival of the 84+CSE platform.

EDIT: Maybe a badge earning system on the forum where programming progress, beta participation etc. could be rewarded.
1) How did you first learn about Cemetech and what aspect influenced you to stay?
IIRC i got here over DCS, from ticalc.org

2) Do you feel as if we have similarities outside of calculator programming naturally. If so, what are they? For example, UT2004, Minecraft, computer and web programming, electronics, Doctor Who, and so on.
Well, programming in general and Linux Smile

3) For what reason(s) do you frequent Cemetech over other sites like Omnimaga or TIPlanet? (Or vise-versa)?
Hm, I happen to be omni support staff by now. Anyways, the calculator community is just friendly in general and i often get questions about, like Linux, awnsered quicker here than in like ##linux, which is pretty awesome IMO. But most of all because it is so friendly here Smile
Oh, wait, the question was asked differentley: I tend to be more on omni because no idea and because I'm staff there by now, but i started to regulary frequent IRC now (instead of only idling)

4) Do you consider the community of Cemetech to have a main goal(s)? (if so, what are they?)
Leading the way to the future of cource Razz Other than that, teaching students how to program.

5) How do you feel your relationship is with other members?
Seing it's been quite some time since I've been active here on cemetech I don't /really/ know yet, even though you guys are still very friendly ^.^

6) Do you find that Cemetech (and calc programming) has helped you in the outside world?
That people see me more as a nerd?

7) What is your favorite inside joke/lingo/shared social item?
nikkybot

Cool What country are you from (if you feel like sharing)? Have you ever met any other Cemetech member in person?
Germany

9) What (if anything) could we do to attract you to spend more time on Cemetech?
Well, IMO the quick reply should be handled over ajax (seemingly less loading).
And, to be honest, I don't really like saxjax. Its IRC-connecion id pretty slow in both directions, and it only checks for new updates ever n seconds, over a long http call you could do far less bandwidth and have the chatting more instant. (also, [] instead of <> around nick, but that is like just so tiny Wink )
1) I first learned about Cemetech through Kerm at TiCalc back in 2001/2002. i fell out of programming for a few years but was happy when i came back in 2006/2007 to see that Doors XP had finally made its way to DoorsCS and was a sound contender to MirageOS. The only thing keeping me from using it regularly is its size, as i only use my calc for assembly programming. Now i stay almost exclusively for the z80 assembly help section, i love reading the discussions that go on there and participating in them when i think i know enough to help out :)

2) I can't really say, as my programming interests are pretty much strictly assembly, and i program games more than i actually play them these days.

3) I enjoy the assembly sections of all sites, but the z80 section here seems busier than the other places. For following projects, i usually go to yAronet or Omnimaga, but not for any real particular reason. I think for the most part projects are shared between both sites (excluding yAronet).

4) Again, i can't say. I figured there's a big programming/electronics community here. I'm personally more interested in the programming side, but that's not to say i wouldn't like to know more about electronics and how the devices i program work...

5) I keep to myself for the most part, but i love when new assembly programmers pop up and ask questions. Even on my busiest days i can set aside hours to answer questions and help debug programs.

6) I think calc programming in a large way IS my outside world. If you mean work, not at all. But being able to find a way to turn an idea into a program and be creative helps keep me sane. In the "outside world" there's so few opportunities to be creative and dedicate yourself to what you're really passionate about.

7) I don't think i know any.

8) From Spain, the US, and China.

9) More discussion on assembly would make me spend more time here. I love answering questions and learning new things from others. The SAX chat room is also a bit low on the page, or at least you have to scroll down to see it.
1. I can't remember exactly when I first heard of Cemetech, it would have been somewhere between 2006-2010 I think. I can't even remember how I heard of it, but it was something to do with Kerm / DoorsCS, probably an article on ticalc.org. I decided to join up early last year as everyone seemed friendly and I wanted to get more involved in the TI community again.

2. Certainly Minecraft and Doctor Who, and I guess also computer & web programming, the latter of which I do part time at work.

3. I don't really spend much time at TIPlanet, as I don't read or speak French, but I frequent both Cemetech & Omnimaga. I probably spend slightly more time on Cemetech, simply because I don't know Axe and I haven't coded much in Basic for a long time, which seem to be more prevalent at Omnimaga.

4. To better ourselves and each other as software & hardware developers/enthusiasts, and simply to create a welcoming, friendly environment for others that have similar interests.

5. It's great! I'm not on here all the time, but everyone that I've spoken to in my time here has been very kind Smile

6. Calculator programming was my first step into the world of programming. TI-Basic was my first language, and Z80 Assembly I believe was my 3rd (the 2nd was Pascal). The Assembly taught me a lot, particularly when it came to learning C a year or two later.

7. I'm not really aware of any ongoing jokes, other than Nickybot on IRC, which is a good laugh.

8. Australia. I had the pleasure of meeting Patrick Davidson back in 2006 when he came to Melbourne, so that was cool. Aside from him, I've not met any other calculator community members in person, although I know tr1p1ea only lives about 1.5hrs drive away, so maybe one day!

9. If someone could create more hours in the day Wink I'd love to be on here more often. To be honest, I tend to spend more time on when I'm actively calc-programming, which I haven't been for the last month and a half, but I'll get back into it soon.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours