Today, an Omnimaga user has posted a topic called
Quick Survey About You and Omnimaga
. It asks members why they like Omnimaga, and (among other things) why they favor Omnimaga over Cemetech. I know that we have many users here to prefer Cemetech to Omnimaga, many who have migrated from Omnimaga to Cemetech, and (sadly) users, even expert ASM programmers, who spend much more time at Omnimaga than Cemetech. Here at Cemetech we strive to maintain a mature, intelligent, yet friendly community, focusing on computer programming, BASIC and ASM z80 calculator programming, and showing off awesome projects. To that end, I think we need a similar survey:

1) How did you first learn about Cemetech and what aspect influenced you to stay?

2) Do you feel as if we have similarities outside of calculator programming naturally. If so, what are they? For example, UT2004, Minecraft, computer and web programming, electronics, Doctor Who, and so on.

3) For what reason(s) do you frequent Cemetech over other sites like Omnimaga or TIPlanet? (Or vise-versa)?

4) Do you consider the community of Cemetech to have a main goal(s)? (if so, what are they?)

5) How do you feel your relationship is with other members?

6) Do you find that Cemetech (and calc programming) has helped you in the outside world?

7) What is your favorite inside joke/lingo/shared social item?

8) What country are you from (if you feel like sharing)? Have you ever met any other Cemetech member in person?

9) What (if anything) could we do to attract you to spend more time on Cemetech?

Edit: By the way, did you know that Cemetech is on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+? Please Like/Follow/+1 us to keep on top of everything we have going on!
1) I first learned about Cemetech through a Google search for my TI-82 that led me to Ticalc. I stayed there exclusively until when they posted news about Gossamer, including a link to Cemetech, whereupon I believe I exchanged email for a while with Kerm before registering. After that I stayed because I didn't need to leave! It was a cool site, full of information, cool people, and looked cool.

2) That I honestly don't know.

3) I prefer Cemetech because I know the people, the history, and the site layout, and also I liked being able to immediately edit my profile, chat in SAX, and upload programs. I also prefer the look and feel of Cemetech over the other sites out there because I thinks it seems more refined and unified. And for TI-Planet, I don't speak French Smile. And I like the Minecraft server. Mainly I frequent Cemetech more because my record and history is here.

4) Yes; it seems to me Cemetech has the goals of: promoting itself, improving its members, and releasing a lot of cool programs.

5) I percieve myself as getting along better with less knowledgable members than more knowledgable ones. Overall, we seem (from my angle) to be on decent terms, but not like we're a family.

6) No, not me! XD I haven't been helped in the outside world by anything or anybody.

7) 0x5 is very singular, clever, and sensible (and misused sometimes when one doesn't know it's history). The 'Cheers' comment would be a good staple; it conveys a deal of happiness. Though Kerm is the main one who uses it.

Cool I'm in the USA, and have never met a person who could at all sympathize with calc programming, or a Cemetech member.

9) Sometimes more toleration of my views on faith. 'Caleb is a troll' 'Caleb is an idiot'. Other things too, but that are out of staff control.
My Survey answers:
1. I learned about cemetech through my searching for a Ti developers community. i never actually heard about Omnimaga until i was well integrated with Cemetech, so i didnt really feel much need to go elsewhere.

2. Ha. definently minecraft, computer EVERYTHING, and that every established member is caring and helpful. when you look for a community, you want one that is active, open, and productive. cemetech is all of that, and more.

3. i dont actually go to Omnimaga or TI-Planet, but i do sometimes hop on over to the minor TI-84-plus.com. however, its not for any particular reason, and i do seem to spend every wifi accessible moment on cemetech.

4. to learn and help each other grow in both programming and just overall "netiquette".

5. to some members, they are like brothers. we can joke around as much as we get on eachother's nerves. some others are role models, people to look up to. anyone who doesnt really get along doesnt stay in the community, it seems.

6. Calc programming is the leaping board into the basics of other languages for me, at least in understanding how the computer operates.

7. 0x5, because i actually type it instead of the forbidden word, and because i actually think it instead of the forbidden word. 2nd place would be the dicshaunary, and 3rd place goes to blub. <('.')>

8. United States, Virginia. i havent met another calc coder in person, let alone a cemetech member.

9. is that possible? unless you could get me 4G, that is Just Joking

If it werent for cemetech, i would probably be the biggest bum who deserves the SNOTY award.
I don't really favor Cemetech over other sites/communities, and I'm not very active here outside of the Casio Prizm section, but I thought I'd reply anyway.

1) I think I first visited Cemetech while searching for software/hacks for the Casio Prizm after having recently acquired one of these calculators for school. I think some months/weeks went by before I registered (probably because I felt the need to reply to some post).

2) Minecraft (once upon a time, now not so much), computer and web programming.
I can also tell the differences between me and most members: I'm nowhere as interested on TI calculators as most people here, or for that matter, any calculators/devices which I don't own, no friends own or which I'm not planning on acquiring.

3) As I said, in this field I don't frequent other sites in the same "category" of Cemetech. The closest I can think of is Casiopeia, but the size and activity doesn't compare, nor the discussion topics: on Casiopeia, everything is about Casio calcs; on Cemetech, that's just one of the topics, and there's a lot beyond it.
I can tell why I really don't visit Omnimaga much, though: that one topic which interests me, pretty much has no discussion there (even though it was originally its main host).

4) No, as far as I can see.

5) It's good (no negative points so far)

6) Yes, but I really can't explain how, right now.

7) I can't think of any right now.

Cool Portugal; no.

9) I'd like it better if you found a way to make me spend less time on Cemetech (and the internet in general) Wink
Now seriously, Cemetech is one of those websites I viciously check for updates (along with my own sites, Hacker News, XDA-developers and some more communities), so I don't think you can make me spend even more time here.
1) I actually found omnimaga first, but even before that I had known of BrandonW's and Benryyves' work.

2) I play minecraft a fair amount, but the biggest shared interest outside of calculators would be general electronics.

3) For electronics projects, this is a stronger community. For calculator programming, I tend to stick to omni due to its higher activity.

4) I don't really see a common cause in most of the people here.

5) Lurker

6) Yes. Programming is very useful, and calculator programming is how I got my start.

7) No idea.

8) USA, and no.

9) Attract more users to increase activity.
Before I address some of the interesting points raised in others' posts, I think I'll post my own answers:

1) Founded it! And I continue to maintain it out of my own (and comic's) pocket and my very very limited free time because I love the community we've built here.

2) I feel like many of us, especially the ones who are on both IRC and the Cemetech forum, are practically a family at this point. I trust many of my administrators as close friends, and we talk about far more than technology and calculators.

3) Beyond the obvious reason of promoting activity on my own site, I find the Omnimaga forum's signal-to-noise ratio far too low, although it has gotten a bit better recently. I feel Cemetech's aim is programming and learning and instruction first, and humor and memetic social aspects second, which is my personal favorite. I feel Omnimaga has a different focus, aimed at a difference audience than me. I like TI-Planet's enthusiasm to cover every calculator and every story, but they're too Nspire-centric (and French! Smile ) for me.

4) I think Cemetech is first about learning and teaching and showing off cool programs, second about shared hobbies and interests like UT2004 and Minecraft and other games, Doctor Who and other TV shows, and so on, and third about intelligent and caring friends.

5) As previously answered, admins are practically family, and many members are friends.

6) Unimaginably much. My work in the community has done an incalculable service to my career as an EE and CS student and teacher.

7) Blub! >(<')! And just looking forward to having people to say hello to whenever I'm feeling lonely on SAX or IRC or the forum.

Cool New York, USA. I've met Elfprince13, Shaun, geekboy, qazz42, Rivereye, Chronomex, and many peripheral Cemetech members at T^3 and Maker Faire.

9) I already give way too much time to Cemetech at the expense of my work and life. Razz
1) I first learned about Cemetech when I tried to figure out to get Gossamer working and ended up posting my question in the wrong thread. http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198672#198672 Ah, newbieness was so much fun...

2) MINECRAFT, Pokemon, and also modding.

3) I sometimes look at Omnimaga to see what goes on in the rest of the community, but I use Cemetech as my main source of information.

4) I think Cemetech is a place where people are supposed to show what they do and also ask for help on how to do more things.

5) I feel that I am on a great relationship with the other members. I do goof up every now and then, but it always makes my day when Kerm says things like:
Quote:
16:37:21 (#) KermM: Hey Ordelore!

6) It has helped me make some new friends at school since my friends are always trying to figure out why I do so many things with my calc.

7) >(v'), I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new, and Nikky.
EDIT: Now my new favorite is how the eightht answer in this thread is always turning into Cool.

8 ) I may be from the U.S, but I have never met any member. Anyone ever want to fly bye the Chicago area?

9) You couldn't do anything more since I check Cemetech at least once a day. Please, just make a new OS. And make the Minecraft server 1.7.2.[/url]
1) I learned about Cemetech when i was looking for games on my calculator.

2) Yes I do believe so. I like the Prizm and is my current calculator

3) I visit Cemetech more often because you can use SAX right off the bat, and Cemetech isn't based solely on TI-8x calculators only.

4) yes I do believe they have a goal, to further expand poples knowledge of programming and calculators.

5) I think it is a basic relationship I know who to ask for things i need help and i know who not to ask.

6) Yes I do it has helped me see what computers could do if we put our minds to it

7) lol

8 ) America and no I have not met anyone else

9) I spend enough time as it is on here so yeah....
KermMartian wrote:
1) How did you first learn about Cemetech and what aspect influenced you to stay?

Needed help with BASIC programming on Ti-Freakware and Kerm made me an account here because I was too lazy or something. This was 7 years ago and I stayed because the community was more alive (Sorry tifreak8x!)

Quote:
2) Do you feel as if we have similarities outside of calculator programming naturally. If so, what are they? For example, UT2004, Minecraft, computer and web programming, electronics, Doctor Who, and so on.

Definitely. It'd be awesome to see our users partake in more regular activities (such as UT2004) or banded together in games they share interest in. But I fear our community is too young to band together in Counter Stike, Team Fortress, Battlefield, etc and Minecraft doesn't offer any reward for teamwork.

Quote:
3) For what reason(s) do you frequent Cemetech over other sites like Omnimaga or TIPlanet? (Or vise-versa)?

The less sites I visit the better.

Quote:
4) Do you consider the community of Cemetech to have a main goal(s)? (if so, what are they?)

Not particularly. SourceCoder, jsTIfied go a long way in cementing Cemetech as an advanced website but the goal has more or less dissipated behind Kerms pet projects and research: DCS, that MC map of Manhattan, etc.

The BASIC Elite can definitely use a comeback. I think something that our community can work on collectively will go a long way in establishing a goal.

Quote:

Close, but don't have much in common with a lot of users. All of our awesome users seem to leave when they hit college (save for a dozen and a handful or so of us). Our community is alive, yes, but there's not a lot that I can relate with outside of programming.

Quote:
6) Do you find that Cemetech (and calc programming) has helped you in the outside world?

Somewhat. I've stopped pursuing being an active programmer but I certainly can attribute what I do know about how things are coded to my early years.

Quote:

That everything gets blamed on me Smile

Quote:
Cool What country are you from (if you feel like sharing)? Have you ever met any other Cemetech member in person?

USA! And I have, Both KermM and rthprog.

Quote:
9) What (if anything) could we do to attract you to spend more time on Cemetech?

A more mature community. We really need to focus on keeping our users past high school. Also, more welcome to technological diversity. Particularly, to Apple users. I'm just one person but I'd feel more welcome to programming if Cemetech wasn't so adamantly anti-Apple and I could get programming help here. Mac & iOS are growing markets in the programming landscape and we shouldn't turn away from that.
1.) I learned about Cemetech from an internet search for calulator forums. the aspects that make me stay are the way the community operates and the care/respect the community has for others.

2.) I think I have a lot of similarities with fellow Cemetechians, some including, web design, video games, programming in general and just being proud of being a nerd.

3.) I frequent Cemetech for two reasons. First, I like the standard of expectations here, no other online forum I've ever been on is so uptight in a good way. And second, I feel like the community cares enough to... 1 give constructive advice and 2 care about how well we get along (If I'm being a nag someone tells me so).

4.) I think that Cemetech's goals include, teaching the public about the power of tech, providing a great community where everyone feels welcome, and building the next generation of super-calcs to take over the world (Ok maybe not the world but maybe the internet?)

5.) I feel like I'm very comfortable with other Cemetechians and that they are comfortable with me. if i need constructive advice they give it and vice virsa.

6.) Of course calc/non-calc programming has helped me in the outside world. This because ever since I was about the age of 7 I've wanted to be a programmer, and I've stuck to it. I've never changed career plans and I've never given up on this dream. I even plan to go to collage for as long as it takes to get my degree in computer science (hopefully not far from home though). I think that its partly because of Cemetech that I'll be able to accomplish my dreams of being a computer programmer. If it weren't for Cemetech and programming I'd probably still bethinking about what to do when I get older. Thanks Cemetech!

7.) Unfortunately I don't really know many of Cemetech's inside jokes, so i can't really say which my favorite is.

8.) I'm sorry for this but I have to... MERICA!!! And unfortunately I haven't met another Cemetchian, but I would love to meet Kerm someday.

9.) There isn't anything that you could really do to get me spend more time on Cemetech, I already spend most of my afternoons on Cemetech.

I found Cemetech ages and ages ago. I haven't the first clue why I came back, probably because you (Kerm) actually replied to my posts where most other people ignored my existence.

I think my author profile and discussions in the Doctor Who thread speaks for itself.

Sadly, other sites don't seem to care much about my projects, very very select few people ever reply, I generally get at least some attention here with my projects.

I'd like to think that the main goal is calculator/computer hacking and programming and would like to steer the focus back that way over a few other topics that like to crop up and take over. :p

I hate everyone equally~! Very Happy (which means except for a select few members that silently drive me up the wall, seem to get along pretty well with everyone)

I do tend to think a little more logically, things are more black and white for me than other people.

Cool What country are you from (if you feel like sharing)? Have you ever met any other Cemetech member in person?

Born in Germany but raised in USA. And I have met the beautiful hunk of a Shaun Very Happy

Needs more explosions. And donuts. And maybe some little chocolates like fancy hotels put on pillows?
Unfortunately, I initially learned about Kerm from all the negative MaxCoderz (original forum) comments in Early 2004. I was wondering why there was so much hate, but then Civilization Simulator came out, I found a link to Cemetech and I eventually signed up. I am glad that I did not join the anti-Kerm bandwaggon back then.

I am not as much into the interest fields of the members here, but I noticed that a lot of members here shares the same hobbies, such as the ones you mentionned and of course hardware modding.

Back in 2004, there was virtually no interest towards calculator RPGs in the French TI community, so as a result, I eventually became more active on English sites, despite not being my native language and higher hostility there. As for Cemetech, there were many factors causing me to be less active there at some points in time (eg the kllrnohj/jpez/Ultimate Dev'r war against newbies from 2006-09), but in general nowadays, whenever there is some calculator gaming or project discussion, it is entirely possible to see days where I have more posts on Cemetech than Omnimaga. Of course, as Omni founder I am a bit biased, though, lol, and I am not much into hardware material, so I tend to spend a bit more time contributing over Omni than here. There is also the fact that there are many people over there that I knew for a much longer time. One thing that could potentially make me post slightly more is making the new posts feature so that it doesn't prune itself on next session, although the weekly active topics feature helps.

Providing the best calculator shell(s) with Doors CS series, getting people to learn how to program properly and promoting calculator programming inside and outside the TI community.

There were frictions in the past, but I am generally fine if no one deliberately repeatedly attempts to start a community fight or something. A lot of stuff were misunderstood due to both sides missing a lot of info, false misconceptions or language barrier.

Yes, programming/ideas-wise, since there are plenty of useful information on the forums and intelligent people around here. Also, although I was never the target of grammar people over here, I started trying to do a better effort at typing properly (since back in the days, I was pretty much typing in SMS style). Of course it's still far from perfection, particularly when I am typing while half-asleep or in pain (neck), but there is a difference from my SMS typing days in 2006-08 or so. I'M glad that some Omni members and staff started doing the same thing too, either themselves or by trying to encourage other Omni guys to type properly.

Nikky. Ok sometimes it gets kinda annoying after a while, but his forum posts were sometimes quite entertaining to read. Razz Else there is blub, although it was mostly used before I really got active.

Canada. Sadly I have not met anyone from here in person (unless Juju counts, since he posts here sometimes too). The only two calculator community people I ever met in person are juju and AaroneusTheGreat.

More calculator game development Razz (depends what kind of game, though. I tend to not be into bats*** hard puzzles, text-based RPGs nor point-n-click games or the like, and don't expect me to reply to oversized walls of text nor topics with no screenshots)
1) Google, searching for 84pse asm dev

2) Minecraft

3) I visit them all the same amount, give or take

4) Knowledge and messing with calculators

5) I don't.

6) Kept me entertained when I finished an hour of work in a few minutes.

7) 0x5

8) USA, nope

9) Nothing rely, check almost every day.

-I actually found out about Cemetech in junior high, when all I cared about was putting games onto mine, and several classmate's calculators.

-I really do enjoy programming, although not very good at computer stuff. Going to go to college for my EE degree, so that's neat. I see a lot of really smart people that are willing to help out younger members, which I try to do to the best of my abilities. Although I haven't played UT2004, I really enjoy UT99.

-I actually signed up at omnimaga first, and liked how active the forums tended to be, but I found the site organization not to my likes, and joined Cemetech. I "know" more people at Cemetech, so I tend to post here more, and just read the forums at omnimaga. I only go to ti-calc if I need a program that doesn't seem to be on the Cemetech files.

-Establishing a mature group of individuals willing to help others out, and more specifically engaging in computer relations.

-I don't know anyone personally, but members that have been active for the 2 years I've been hanging around, (merth, Kerm, Ti-freak, Benryves, etc) have helped me out countless times. I get on everyday and see in sax the friendly chatter and it feels great knowing I have loads more friends.

-I would say yes. My very boring classes have slipped away while lost in a world of calc programming. It's great.

-I actually haven't seen too many inside jokes around here (not like peanuts or lobsters anyways) but I enjoy poking nikkybot on sax and usually getting some humorous responses.

-I am from the US, Utah more specifically. I have met a few Cemetech members, not any that are very active. Just acquaintances that I have told about Cemetech. I am planning on flying out to New York for Maker Faire this coming year and excited at the prospect of meeting Kerm and a few other users.

-Nothing. I hop on whenever I am at home, which is a great deal of time. Cemetech is my cyber-home, and I'm here to stay.
Quote:
Via ticalc.org, from news mentioning the sudoku contest. Stuck around because 'why not', substantially-ish? Dunno, that was a long time ago.
Quote:
Mostly software and hardware discussion.
Quote:
I can easily call a number of our older members friends. If we were only calculators I'd be less likely to stick around, and indeed I don't visit either of those other two without predetermined reason.
Quote:
We like knowledge. Not sure if that's much of a goal, but there are usually interesting ideas bouncing around.
Quote:
See notes on 3, above.
Quote:
Calculators were my first programming experience. It seems quite likely that I wouldn't be in my current field without calculator programming and the associated community.
Quote:
=^_^= KITTY
Quote:
8) What country are you from (if you feel like sharing)? Have you ever met any other Cemetech member in person?
Wisconsin, USA. I went to school with Jonimus (TheStorm), and have worked with Merth. The three of us hang out when we can.
Quote:
I'm not real active on the forum since many of the things our younger members work on don't really interest me (and those cover the majority of discussion), but I'm often in IRC, where I find the more interesting things usually are-- what else do you want?
KermMartian wrote:

I found a large amount of Kerm's software on ticalc.org and was interested in contributing to the gCn project.

KermMartian wrote:

computer and web programming, Doctor Who, and so on

KermMartian wrote:

I stopped going to Omnimaga one time when Kevin got mad at me (no hard feelings). I don't think I ever heard of TI-Planet until I'd mostly retired from calculator programming.

KermMartian wrote:

Computer science pedagogy and research.

KermMartian wrote:

Friendly, and teaching-oriented.

KermMartian wrote:

Yes.

KermMartian wrote:

>(v')

KermMartian wrote:

Rolling Eyes

KermMartian wrote:

Add 6 hours to the day.
Quote:

It was a dark and stormy night. I finally discovered a great shell for my nspire that was loaded with a TI-84+ keypad. But shockingly, it wasn't working right and forced me to perform endless battery pulls. I finally find the site of the guy who wrote the shell, and start asking questions and reporting the bug using very horrible grammar. I expected to just get it fixed and then leave, but the great community and all the resources available drew me back to the site until I just stuck around.

Quote:

You know it. Doctor Who, electronics, computer programming, Castlevania, UT2004, Raspberry Pi. We share it all.

Quote:

Well, I frequent it because it's fun and I learn quite a lot. However, I've recently been frequently idle in the chat for weeks due to the sheer amount of work and video games my senior year has brought me.

Quote:

To program, to learn, and to have fun while doing it.

Quote:

Friendly, unless it's Merth, who keeps on telling me to shut up Sad

Quote:

For sure. If anything, it's probably changed my life. Since learning about calculator programming and being on Cemetech, I've learnt so much from calculators to computers and am now on my way to being a Comp Sci major, something I might not have done pre-calculators.

Quote:

[censored]

Quote:

I am from the US of A, and I have meet both Kerm and geekboy and bwang.

edit: and I may or may not have met elfprince and mreksm Wink

also, I'm good friends with ashbad, though we have not met in real life

Quote:

Do my college apps and homework for me! Razz
1: I heard about it through ticalc.org, and was reluctant to join as I had been on ticalc for about three-ish years. Once I joined I realized there were actually people on Cemetech, and it has quite a homely atmosphere.

2: Cemetech introduced me to UT2004 (one of my most rewarding purchases Very Happy ), and got me more involved with Minecraft. Oh, and #cemetech made me into an IRC junkie.

3: As mentioned in #1, I feel Cemetech is more supporting towards esoteric projects and new users.

4: I see Cemetech as being able to provide a unified TI-BASIC learning experience via the "Kermbooks", extending the possibilities of a puny z80 through unique and innovative software making creative use of the limitations of the TI-83 series, and encouraging people to become involved in programming.

5: Hmm, not really sure.

7: NIKKYBOT. I haven't been around long enough to think of something different.

8: I'm in southwest California, and the only Cemetech members I've met are the four or so I have introduced to the website.

9: There isn't too much that I feel could attract me to spend more time on Cemetech. There's already an IRC channel, where I already spend too much time lurking around.

I learnt about the site through KermM and his projects. I stay because the site has a good level of activity.

I think that, as with any community that shares a primary interest, a portion of the community will share a number of secondary interests. Some of these apply to me, others don't, but as long as the site doesn't deviate from its primary interest I'm happy. (See question 4).

A decent level of activity and maturity.

I'm not sure about a goal but I would say I feel the site's primary area of expertise is in graphical calculator-related projects.

I find myself getting increasingly crochety with some members (though I think that's just life getting me down, so sorry if I'm being a pain). I think I generally get on well with the longer-term members.

What's "outside"? (No).

I can't say I've really noticed any of particular note, which is a good thing in my mind. I find communities that hang on to too many inside jokes tend to feel a bit cliquey and are not very appealing to outsiders.

I'm from the UK and have never met another member of the calculator community (Cemetech or otherwise). Last time I met someone from The Internet they got arrested for throwing a slice of pizza at the Queen so I have tried to avoid such meetings in future.

Replacing the comment system with Google+, obviously. (I can't really think of anything, and feel I spend too much time here already).

Internet search on calculator programming.

Can't say, calculator programming is all i know.

Tech support.

to provide maps for individuals who want to explore the world of programming.

Cooperative.

yes

Not at the moment.

Mexico, no.

Cooperation

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours