shundra9 wrote:
Are you going to continue improving Doors for the old non-color TI-8x calculators?

Only bug fixes if they are bad enough to need an update. The non color DCS has reached its final form, so to speak.
*bump* I finished implementing almost everything necessary for organizing, counting, displaying, and running Apps. You can see a demonstration of the process in the screenshot below. Three tasks remain:
1) An option that lets you prevent the Apps folder from being recreated
2) Proper behavior when an App quits because [2nd][ON] was pressed.
3) Test working with 17 or more Apps (does anyone have a TI-84+CSE with 17 or more apps to help test?).

Edit: (1) is complete.

Looks awesome!

And are there even more than 17 apps out there? lol

I notice that after hovering over the solitaire app, the colors don't return to normal. Is that a jstified screenshotter bug?
tifreak8x wrote:
Looks awesome!

And are there even more than 17 apps out there? 0x5
I have all the Apps from ticalc.org, but I think even with the TI apps I'm missing I might not be able to make it to 17. Smile

Quote:
I notice that after hovering over the solitaire app, the colors don't return to normal. Is that a jstified screenshotter bug?
That's just a jsTIfied screenshot artifact; it doesn't appear on the LCD. I should mention that I haven't tested this on hardware yet; perhaps I and others might be able to do that on HCWP tonight.
KermMartian wrote:

3) Test working with 17 or more Apps (does anyone have a TI-84+CSE with 17 or more apps to help test?).

One somewhat simple way to pad the app list would be to send lots of TI-Boy CSE games. They don't even have to be different games, you can just take the same (smallish) ROM and keep converting it with different app names. It might be a good test of control return as well, because TI-Boy does some crazy stuff, basically overthrowing the entire OS and then reinstating it.

Also, now that this is clearly going to be a thing, I would advocate for establishing and publicizing a standardized header format for apps to carry icons and other such metadata, like programs. The sooner the format is announced, hopefully the more app designers can adopt it.
Stupid question, but would it be all THAT much different than doing the same with asm?
Runer112 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

One somewhat simple way to pad the app list would be to send lots of TI-Boy CSE games. They don't even have to be different games, you can just take the same (smallish) ROM and keep converting it with different app names. It might be a good test of control return as well, because TI-Boy does some crazy stuff, basically overthrowing the entire OS and then reinstating it.
Sounds good; I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Runer112 wrote:
Also, now that this is clearly going to be a thing, I would advocate for establishing and publicizing a standardized header format for apps to carry icons and other such metadata, like programs. The sooner the format is announced, hopefully the more app designers can adopt it.
I strongly agree. Although I now have 33 bytes left on Page 0, and I'm not sure if I have the space for implementing custom icons in 8.1, it definitely needs to be defined now.

tifreak8x wrote:
Stupid question, but would it be all THAT much different than doing the same with asm?
Yes. TI has a set of structured fields for the header of Apps, whereas DCSE defines its own (different) header structure system for ASM programs.
Awesome to see APPS being added to DCS8 menu! I always thought it would be a nice idea if we could finally run everything from one single menu.
any app? of course not including finance but i have 24
1.Buttonz
2.CabriJr
3.CelSheet
4.Conics
5.Dansk
6.Deutsch
7.DoorsCSE
8.Espanol
9.Francais
10.Frogger
11.Inequalz
12.Jumper
13.MicrOS
14.Nederlan
15.PacMan
16.PlySmlt2
17.Portug
18.Prob Sim
19.Snake
20.Solitair
21.Svenska
22.TestGrd4
23.Transfrm
24.Tunnel
Hhmm... perhaps there should be a toggle to enable APPS in the program list or not?
tr1p1ea wrote:
Hhmm... perhaps there should be a toggle to enable APPS in the program list or not?
KermMartian wrote:
1) An option that lets you prevent the Apps folder from being recreated
2) Proper behavior when an App quits because [2nd][ON] was pressed.

Edit: (1) is complete.
What it actually is is an option to show or hide the Apps folder. If you choose show, it forcibly creates the Apps folder. If you unchecked it, the Apps folder is forcibly deleted.

DJ_O: Thanks. Smile And ah, I didn't think of the language apps, thanks.
Not to derail ... But next is a fully fledged OS?!
tr1p1ea wrote:
Not to derail ... But next is a fully fledged OS?!
No, thank you. While certain aspects would be fun, seeing other people stumble along with OS projects for many years and unfortunately or fortunately (depending on the project) no hope of ever getting more than a handful of users greatly discourages me.

AshBob5000 wrote:
any app? of course not including finance but i have 24: [...]
Thanks for the suggestions. I did indeed jump over to TI and grab more Apps, which both helped me to determine that multiple pages of Apps work properly, and that certain TI Apps are no friendly about the state in which they leave flags.

*bump* I have updated the feature/bug matrix for Doors CSE 8.0 as follows:

Known Bugs:
[X] Running Ans-hidden BASIC programs from the homescreen produces the DCSE version error message This turned out to be much harder to solve correctly than anticipated, as solving it correctly required overhauling how Doors CSE counts and organizes programs for display. It now differentiates between programs that should never be run and programs that are runnable but unlisted.
[X] ArcUnarcVar shouldn't draw an hour glass on the screen Repaired. Shell functions call Arc_Unarc_DCSE_ShowHourglass. BASIC functions set the accumulator to nonzero and call Arc_Unarc_DCSE.
[X] Leftover DrawShape mode setting described in this post tr1p1ea has indicated this is repaired
[X] ReplaceLine bug detailed in this post TIfreak8x has confirmed that this is fixed
[X] Executed Apps that request the calculator turn off fail. Repaired with the help of the ever-knowledgeable BrandonW. WikiTI's incorrect information needs to be fixed.
[_] Hard-to-track Error: ? bug
[_] Figure out how to make RabbitSign or any signer sign Apps with custom icons.

Feature Requests:
[-] ArcUnarcVar should take an optional argument, 0 for Arc, 1 for RAM, so it can work as more than just a toggle Suggestion discarded. Programmers can use det(Cool with this function to prevent it from toggling a variable to the wrong place.
[X] Menu option or desktop icon to run Apps (see Runer112's post) Apps can be listed, run, and so on.
[X] Custom App icons Implemented as new App header field 029h.

Erhmahgerd yer merkin AoE2 \o/

Very Happy

Honestly, though. That's friggin beautiful. In a way. Because it works. Yeah, something like that.
tifreak8x wrote:
Erhmahgerd yer merkin AoE2 \o/

Very Happy
I wish. Smile It's something I've always wanted a full-fledged calculator version of (see Civilization Simulator I, which was originally named Age of Empires), but I don't think I could fit a decent AI in any reasonable space, sadly.

Quote:
Honestly, though. That's friggin beautiful. In a way. Because it works. Yeah, something like that.
Thanks, I am very happy with it. I hope to release a Release Candidate today, but on the other hand, I don't want to do so if tr1p1ea's part is not ready.
So the APPS thing will be exclusive to DCSE 8.X? Not added to the Dcs7 line?
DCS 7 being in deep maintenance mode (= only fixes for important bugs, should there by any), I can't see this being added to DCS 7.
GinDiamond wrote:
So the APPS thing will be exclusive to DCSE 8.X? Not added to the Dcs7 line?
What Lionel said:
Lionel Debroux wrote:
DCS 7 being in deep maintenance mode (= only fixes for important bugs, should there by any), I can't see this being added to DCS 7.
I barely see the point in having this for Doors CSE, even, so I am not inclined to put in the effort to add it to Doors CS. People haven't been requesting it in Doors CS.
Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to make a shell extension or program to do the same thing anyway.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours