Back in 2001 and 2002 I released 11 calculator RPGs and 1 point-and-click game for the TI-83 Plus monochrome series in the Illusiat series. The series was revived in 2009 with one final game: Illusiat 13: The Final Chapter.

Unfortunately, I lost interest in the project about 90% into development and only a few minor updates were released in early 2010 to fix some bugs in the version that was made public back then. In recent years, however, I began reviving several calculator and even one PC projects and this time around it could be Illusiat 13's turn as I began fixing stuff, improving difficulty by reducing grinding in the process. This revival attempt might be a long process, though, because I no longer have the project notes due to losing them years ago.

Here are the changes I've made so far.

-The save file is now archived at most times
-You can now exit the game with CLEAR when in the menu.
-Added Doors CS header and icon (although on the regular 83+ there isn't enough space to keep both this game and DCS7 installed)
-Increased experience and gold gained per battle
-Increased elemental experience gained when using magic
-Fixed error allowing you to enter the Hope Sanctuary before obtaining any key
-Made the game slightly more family-friendly

Something I might Add is a feature in the battle CAST menu where pressing a number key from 1 to 6 automatically chooses the associated magic spell and use it (1 PYRO, 2 ICE, 3 BLITZ, etc). This will speed up magic selection during battles as long as you remember which spells are associated with what digit. As for what else remains to be done, well there's an optional dungeon, the final one and some enemies and bosses including the creation and addition of their respective data.
I will always be amazed at how well these BASIC RPG's of your run.

Looks magnificent.
Thanks! The goal of Illusiat 13 was to mimic the style of the few previous games, hence the ASCII art. I bet it would not be hard to convert the game to layered text sprites like Darkblasters, but then it would no longer fit on the regular 83+ due to map data becoming twice larger, so I decided to keep the style as is. I might also make a CE version, although it would most likely just be a direct port rather than graphical remake for now.
This was kind of paused due to unforeseen extra inspiration for musical stuff but now that I finished my 21th album I resumed work on Illusiat, except that it's not Illusiat 13, but rather 12. So far I haven't changed anything in the game but you can now choose the difficulty at the start and I saved quite a few bytes. You can now also only have one save file instead of two, since this caused problems with the chapter-based stuff where you were forced to write down which file had to be archived or not. The title screen now also loads instantly at the cost of using an extra pic var. Also, now if you want to use regular attacks you can now press Enter instead of 1 so you can keep on this good ol' button mashing.

EDIT: Over 1 KB was saved despite the addition of an extra pic var. I don't know what I will work on next but I do want to backport some of the newer Illusiat 13 (and CE projects) additions to Illusiat 12 such as being able to exit the game with the CLEAR key in the menu, fixing translation issues and fixing that Chapter 9 bug with a map exit that leads to being stuck inside the void unable to move (if you save there you get softlocked and have to start all over).

EDIT 2: I was also considering releasing two new versions rather than just one: One would remain pure TI-BASIC, while the other would add the XCOPY program from Illusiat 13 to automate the switching between chapters like I did in Illusiat 7, 9 and the CE port of 11.
You could port it to the 84 and then you could probably also run the Doors CS header and ico wit it

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours