I want to create a program/ hardware project like Party Mode 2.0. What would be the best lights, micro controller, and battery for it?

This is to be run on the CSE.

Edit: Changed to Arduino as understanding and learning happens. I realized it would be way easier to control most of it from the Arduino, and maybe have something from the calculator be able to change the lighting effects if it is plugged in.
Hmmm, that's a cool question. You could use a microcontroller like the Arduino (ATMega) combined with something like my Arduino to Calculator Linking Routines, and let the Arduino act as a multiplexer for your lights. I've been very happy with these LEDs from DealExtreme, and I can help you understand the circuit you need to make to drive them safely from an Arduino or similar microcontroller. For a battery, I'd probably recommend using a power brick or other regulated source of mains power.
Thanks for the advice, Ill do what I can to get the Arduino, Kinda tight on cash right now.
16aroth6 wrote:
Thanks for the advice, Ill do what I can to get the Arduino, Kinda tight on cash right now.
There are plenty of cheap Arduino-compatible clones, and there's nothing that says you have to use one of the Arduino ATMegas. There are other entry-level microcontroller packages like the Propeller, but the Arduino is the most widely-used and widely-supported.
How many of these should I get?
I was thinking of maby doing somthing like this:

though by the reviews, this might be too hot.

Also, Would either of these microcontrollers work?

Arduino ATMega
Arduino UNO

Which would you suggest?

Edit: Which port should I use for connecting it?
An Arduino UNO, Diecimila, or even Duemilanove would do the trick. What port should you use for connecting what? You'll need to use the Dx lines and connect a great deal of step-up and (optionally) isolation between the controller and LEDs.
What port should I use to connect the calculator to the Arduino?

I'm not sure what Dx lines are.
16aroth6 wrote:
What port should I use to connect the calculator to the Arduino?
The I/O port. As I mentioned, I have Arduino-calculator linking routines, or you could use my private CALCnet library for Arduino.

Quote:
I'm not sure what Dx lines are.
The digital data lines the Arduino exposes, of which it has about fourteen. You'll need two for calculator-computer linking, and three per RGB channel, meaning you can control about 4 channels of RGB LEDs (of course, that could be multiple LEDs per channel).
It might take some work, but I might be able to create a music program and have 4 lights connected with the 4 channels.

That would be cool.
Here's what I have in mind:

I forgot to add an external power source. Razz

Tell me what you think. Thanks.
Yup, that's certainly very doable with the hardware you have listed there and the system we've been discussing.
How would I set up the programming to detect the tempo from other inputs?

There is a possibility that I may be able to order the Uno within the
next 2 weeks.

Edit: I'm assuming you would control the lights according to the tempo?
Well, I'm back on track...

Should be getting the microcontroller soon, as well as the lights.

I am getting the Arduino Uno and probably 4 of these LEDs.

Still need a suggestion on power for the Uno and lights.
Im also wondering how I should mount these things safely. Thinking a box of some kind...
Yes, you'll definitely need an enclosure. For a power supply, may I recommend an old ATX (computer) power supply? They tend to have well-regulated 5V and 12V, which would be perfect for a project like this. Hopefully you, like me, tend to have a bunch of these lying around.
I guess I am like you, Do have some lying around.
Their just broken.

I'm not sure where I would get another one...

What if I got a couple 6v batteries?
Hooked them up in a series?

For the structure, I'm wondering If those lights get hot enough to burn wood. I might be able to use plexiglass. That's all I have thought of for now.
I did order the microcontroller today.
I got this arduino.

comments? ideas?
16aroth6 wrote:
I guess I am like you, Do have some lying around.
Their just broken.

I'm not sure where I would get another one...
Craigslist? eBay? Your friendly neighborhood junk shop or tech recycling center? From discarded computers?

16aroth6 wrote:
What if I got a couple 6v batteries?
Hooked them up in a series?
That wouldn't last that long

16aroth6 wrote:
For the structure, I'm wondering If those lights get hot enough to burn wood. I might be able to use plexiglass. That's all I have thought of for now.
If they're hot enough to burn wood, they might get hot enough to melt plexiglass. I have mine mounted on wood, with plastic spacer washers used to keep them from sitting flush against the wood. The extra airflow underneath should help keep them from starting a fire, but I would still keep an eye on them. If you're really concerned, you can use heatsinks.

16aroth6 wrote:
I did order the microcontroller today.
I got this arduino.
That looks like a good choice to me. You should certainly spent some time working through the various projects that that kit teaches to understand more about the Arduino first.
I have decided on Plexiglas for now. When I mount them, Ill be sure to put some spacers in there. The arduino "should" be here by the 11th, but my bets are around Christmas...
That sounds reasonable to me; I look forward to seeing how the build turns out. Just be sure to be careful and safe with it as much as possible. I hope the Arduino arrives sooner rather than later!
Guess what arived today... Razz they said 5-8 buisness days. they delivered it in 5. Impressive. and even during the christmas season.

I'm going to do a little expiramenting with it. Lets hope I don't blow anything up Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours