What do you think the TI-84+CSE Doors CS should be named?
Doors CS 8
 26%  [ 7 ]
Doors CSE 8
 50%  [ 13 ]
Something else (I'll tell you in the thread)
 23%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 26

Help me figure out what to call Doors CS for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition! Options include Doors CS 8, Doors CSE 8, and any suggestions that you guys might have. I'm thinking of calling it version 8 rather than starting over at 1 because it makes it clearer that this new color version is a continuation of the Doors CS 7 codebase. Although Doors CS standard for Calculator Shell, I was considering the name Doors CSE because it could be Color Screen Edition, Color Silver Edition, or Calculator Shell Evolved. What do you think the TI-84+CSE Doors CS should be named?

Well.. I think DCS8 is fine. I mean, Windows only had one specific tablet edition OS in XP, everything after that had tablet support built in and they just incremented the numbers, right?

I'd be happy leaving it DCS8. Plus I've already went and named my icon creator 8, so yeah. Very Happy
I like Doors CSE myself.
I'm still against continuation of the count. I believe numbering this as 8 will mistakenly tell people it's the next version of DCS. Which, admittedly, it is. But those users will download it expecting everything they had in DCS7. They're going to want documentation on it's libraries: both basic and ASM. Again, admittedly, they'll probably ask for that whether it's numbered or not. I just see users trying to port programs over from Doors CS7 to the TI-84CSE but can't find the GUI routine or other libraries available.

I think it should start as Doors CSE then start the count over again. As an example Minecraft for Xbox 360 was Minecraft beta from the PC (with a few tweaks). I'm just saying there's no shame in even starting the count as Doors CSE 5 or whatever the first version was before you had BASIC (or any) libraries. It's a bad example though because Minecraft isn't really advertised with a version number compared to Call of Duty: Modern Warefare 3 and Black Ops 2, or Photoshop CS4, CS5, CS6, etc.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I'm still against continuation of the count. I believe numbering this as 8 will mistakenly tell people it's the next version of DCS. Which, admittedly, it is. But those users will download it expecting everything they had in DCS7. They're going to want documentation on it's libraries: both basic and ASM. Again, admittedly, they'll probably ask for that whether it's numbered or not. I just see users trying to port programs over from Doors CS7 to the TI-84CSE but can't find the GUI routine or other libraries available.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
I prefer Doors CSE 8 because it has the CSE for the new start and 8 to show people that it will be an attempt to remake Doors CS.
It has the "Doors" to show its a remake of Doors. Smile
Let's be creative; how about

Stained Glass Doors

And change the DCS icon to have a stained glass background.
comicIDIOT wrote:

I think it should start as Doors CSE then start the count over again. As an example Minecraft for Xbox 360 was Minecraft beta from the PC (with a few tweaks). I'm just saying there's no shame in even starting the count as Doors CSE 5 or whatever the first version was before you had BASIC (or any) libraries. It's a bad example though because Minecraft isn't really advertised with a version number compared to Call of Duty: Modern Warefare 3 and Black Ops 2, or Photoshop CS4, CS5, CS6, etc.

I more or less fully agree. Starting with Doors CSE 1 seems to make the most sense to me.
My family just devoted our time eating dinner to this topic, and here is what came up:

First of all, we ought to follow the example of the HP Prime - simplifying the name insted of adding more characters. Second, we favor a bold new naming idea: my mom suggested "Doors Alleycat" and my brother suggested "D8" (for a more edgy sound). Third, I urge you to disregard the new "color" aspect - making a big deal of a new version being color is so early-ninties. I know we want to call it "color" (as in DCSE) to differentiate from the "black and white" version, but instead, I suggest you differentiate it by naming it something entirely different (the version that is, not the Doors part, of course). And after all, as Comic noted, its features are noticably different from the last version.
CalebHansberry wrote:
My family just devoted our time eating dinner to this topic, and here is what came up:

First of all, we ought to follow the example of the HP Prime - simplifying the name insted of adding more characters. Second, we favor a bold new naming idea: my mom suggested "Doors Alleycat" and my brother suggested "D8" (for a more edgy sound). Third, I urge you to disregard the new "color" aspect - making a big deal of a new version being color is so early-ninties. I know we want to call it "color" (as in DCSE) to differentiate from the "black and white" version, but instead, I suggest you differentiate it by naming it something entirely different (the version that is, not the Doors part, of course). And after all, as Comic noted, its features are noticably different from the last version.

1: It's cool to see that you and your family can have a conversation about calculators at the dinner table.
2: I don't believe that color is "so early-nonties", since we were all raving about color calcs. when they came out.
Caleb is thinking about computers, though, where color on laptops was a really novel idea - I had a PowerBook 180, which came out in late 1992, as the top of the line Mac laptop, and color wasn't even an option.

Then again, color on desktop computers being novel is more of a late 70s/early 80s thing.
I think Doors CSE for Doors Color Shell Edition is good, isn't it ?
Notwithstanding the fact that I suck at naming programs (like many programmers), I think that comicIDIOT's post has convinced me about "Doors CSE" or something along those lines (say, with or without the space), without an "8" version number.
Even if the code base is partially a continuation of the DoorsCS 7.2 code base, the 84+CSE version adds color and has, at least in the short term, different capabilities.
That's the kicker, it's incompatible with DCS.

I can't think of a single OS that, when a successor version was completely incompatible, it had the same name.
I could go either way (DCS8 or DCSE8), but I think I slightly prefer DCSE8.

This new version of Doors is an extension of DCS7, so I think the "8" is relevant, but calling it "DCSE" differentiates it from "DCS". Just on the odd chance that you were to write a "DCS8" for the 83/84+ range at some stage.
I agree with the "Doors CSE" part, so people don't confuse with the non-color version.

But I agree with comicIDIOT, the 8 is not a good idea. Forgetting the 8 would even allow you to update the non-color version later.

Maybe you could name it after the features there are in. For example, when you have all the features there were in Doors CS 4, you'll name it Doors CSE 4, and when you have all the features there were in Doors CS 7, you'll name it Doors CSE 7, etc, and once again, you could then have a Doors CS 8 next to a Doors CSE 8.
Hayleia wrote:
I agree with the "Doors CSE" part, so people don't confuse with the non-color version.

But I agree with comicIDIOT, the 8 is not a good idea. Forgetting the 8 would even allow you to update the non-color version later.

Maybe you could name it after the features there are in. For example, when you have all the features there were in Doors CS 4, you'll name it Doors CSE 4, and when you have all the features there were in Doors CS 7, you'll name it Doors CSE 7, etc, and once again, you could then have a Doors CS 8 next to a Doors CSE 8.

Couple of things:

DCS7.2 is the last non-color version. If Kerm decides to make changes to DCS, they will most likely be minor, and require a .# update to the version.

DCS moving to the CSE will still be version 8, no matter how you cut it. He is using the core of DCS7 to make this happen. The overall layout and design is still DCS7. Look at Windows, it's been many versions, and had many layouts, and now they are just calling it by version number these days. So much easier to deal with.

Since Version 8 is a CSE only program, and will be only posted to the CSE portion of the archives, anyone trying to throw this at a non-CSE calc will be considered silly.

And last but not least. DCS8 rolls off the tongue better than DCSE8. DCS stands for Doors Calculator Shell. E throws that out of whack with what it was and is.

Of course, just my opinion on the matter. I like simple.
If ye like simple, why use a serial code like "DCS8" to describe it?
Windows 3.1 and Windows 8 are way more different than DoorsCS 7 and DoorsCS 8 and they're still called the same thing with little confusion. Sure, that's a bigger step chronologically, but I don't see why that shouldn't hold true here.

I guess the biggest question is, do you plan on continuing development (other than bug fixes) or DoorsCS for the non-color calc? If not, then bumping the version number up seems fine. If so, they seem a lot more like separate projects and so should be named as such. In which case, I'd probably just go with DoorsCS Color.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours