I've added a couple more animated/interactive features to the tileset (both taken from the Team 17 original games). Firstly, "ventilation fan sucker thingys", which kill you if you get sucked in. Secondly, the crushers, which I guess are fairly self explanatory Razz

Now I'll move on to designing the 12 new levels for the new campaign.

Haha, the chompers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqRdT8m1Suo

Looks fantastic as always Very Happy
Yeah that looks mad!

Just wondering what the latest ETA is on this project?
tifreak8x wrote:
Haha, the chompers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqRdT8m1Suo

Looks fantastic as always Very Happy
Well "screw" that. Haha one of my favourite bad overdubs of all time!

Thanks guys! tr1p1ea, if I leave out the co-op linkplay then I would expect early next year, just depends how well I keep my motivation up with level design. If I try to get the co-op working again, I'm not sure, it will really depend on how much success I have! I have a few ideas for TI-84+CSE games that I'd like to mess around with too but they keep distracting me! Razz
So, AB on the 84C?!!

Don't tease us! Razz.

The smooth scrolling may not work in all direction however there is more screen real-estate (resolution wise) and screen-to-screen scrolling works well.

But I agree, one project at a time Smile.
Sorry, what was that? Desolate on the 84C?? Razz

The 84C games I'm musing are actually different to anything calc related I've ever done, and in fact one of them is a genre/style of gameplay that hasn't been tackled much on any of the TI calculators that I'm aware of, so if I can get that off the ground I'd be happy - we'll see though Smile
The level design is progressing along; I've got 3 levels done in terms of layout, I just need to added the pickup items and enemies, etc. now.

On another note, v2.x includes an in-game hints/tips system. During the first playthrough of the game, there are a few hints/tips that will show up on occasion for new players. Each of these tips will only come up once, although they can be reset in the main menu.

Hopefully this makes the game more welcoming and less frustrating if you have no idea what you're doing! There is also the "Intex Infobase" that's still available on the Intex computer terminals, which provides some additional information on certain elements of the game. The Infobase now includes images as well.

Nice! It just keeps getting better and better. Smile
You can almost hear the audio!
Dianzi tian wrote:
You can almost hear the audio!
If I get bored sometime, I should make a short video of some 83+ Alien Breed gameplay with the original sound effects and sound track over the top Razz
I was brainstorming a bit today over lunch (as you do) on the 2 player co-op feature that I was hoping to include in v2.x. Seeing as the I/O port linkplay method has been encountering so many issues, I had a realisation that I should just make the 2 player co-op playable on one calculator, which will be much less complicated to implement, and will run much faster than the linkplay version.

Why I failed to think of this months ago, one can only wonder Razz Especially given that the original Team 17 games were 2 player on one computer, as opposed to network games.

Anyhow once I get some more level design finished (5 level layouts are done now), I'll put my coding hat back on and try to implement this Smile
well, then you get the issue that calcs are kinda awkward to hold with another person. this isn't the same if you have an entire full-sized keyboard available to you.

at least is there any chance you can keep a version with the buggy link code for those of us who don't mind working with such?
Luxen wrote:
well, then you get the issue that calcs are kinda awkward to hold with another person. this isn't the same if you have an entire full-sized keyboard available to you.

at least is there any chance you can keep a version with the buggy link code for those of us who don't mind working with such?

That's true, but I'd rather that than a link version that struggles to stay in sync Razz In any case, yes I will be keeping a backup of the buggy link version, at the very least even just for my own records in case I decide to work on it again later or use as a reference for any other link projects I may attempt at some stage.

I'm not sure I'd release this buggy link version, although if people personally requested it to try out / experiment with / look at the code, I'd probably send it to them Smile
I'd think posting it up in the asm subforum would be a good place, let other asm'ers have a look at it and play with it. That way the code is backed up in other places as well Smile

Love all the elements to this game.
Hmm I could work with you to expose the calcnet libraries if you really want. Might be a bit slow accessing them depending on something. But its definitely possible to access them externally ^^. And with that you have at least a solid linking backend. (Tho the interrupt might slow down the game a significant amount that would have to be tested)
Development is still moving along, I've implemented some minor code fixes/updates and continued with some more level design for Episode II as well.

+ The game now runs with 15Mhz enabled on the calcs that can do so.
+ Fire doors that are 2 tiles wide now close all together (so fire doors can now be in wider corridors).
+ The in-game tips system can be disabled from the options menu as suggested by Art_of_camelot.
+ Fixed a bug with buying ammo clips from Intex Terminals, as well as a few other minor bugs.

As usual, I've come up with more ideas for features to add in hah, but I'm still aiming to have this finished during the first quarter of 2015 Smile
Did you mention anywhere on Cemetech that you made a feline Alien Breed game? Wink If not, I think you should, because we might have to name something that involves Alien Breed and cats our Game of the Year.
KermMartian wrote:
Did you mention anywhere on Cemetech that you made a feline Alien Breed game? Wink If not, I think you should, because we might have to name something that involves Alien Breed and cats our Game of the Year.

Haha yes I did! The thread can be found here and the download page is here. Smile
Whilst it's taking a while, the level designing is progressing - I'm about halfway there now Smile

I've also been doing some coding of a new feature which wasn't on my original "to-do" list, but was just an idea I had recently. The game now has a short "cut scene" intro-type thing at the start, and each episode will also have their own ones as well. On top of this, the "epilogue" shown when you finish an episode will be ever so slightly more flashy that the plain v1.x version.
JamesV wrote:
Whilst it's taking a while, the level designing is progressing - I'm about halfway there now Smile

I've also been doing some coding of a new feature which wasn't on my original "to-do" list, but was just an idea I had recently. The game now has a short "cut scene" intro-type thing at the start, and each episode will also have their own ones as well. On top of this, the "epilogue" shown when you finish an episode will be ever so slightly more flashy that the plain v1.x version.

Ooh, that sounds neat! Smile I feel the pain of level making; it certainly doesn't go fast. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours