This is more a question kind of topic, as I really don't know much in the way of asm differences besides there are differences.

I was curious on if it were possible to write a converter to disassemble asm programs, convert over the changed bits of code that would need to be changed and drop it into an 84+ CSE usable format? It was just some random thought that I had as I was getting ready for job #1, was just wondering at the feasibility of such a thing, to help bring programs up and over that don't really stand much of a chance of being ported up.

Mainly a question for BrandonW, KermM, DrDnar, tr1p1ea, and any other asm programmer that is amazing that I've forgot to list :p
Yeah, I've been tossing around an idea for an OS patch (and maybe related PC-side 8x* converters) that would enable running the old 84+/SE OS on the 84+CSE.

It probably wouldn't be as useful as one would like for games (they just have too many crazy optimizations for the LCD), but it'd be useful for me and getting old utilities to run (like usb8x, msd8x, etc. -- things that don't manipulate the LCD directly, or if they do, the timing's not very important).

It could probably even be dual-booted with the 84+CSE OS.
Fixing a number of code snippets automatically is definitely possible, it was done for the TI-68k series (by an ASM program running on the calculator) when the 89T was introduced.
For the monochrome 83+ family -> 84+CSE conversion, such a program would be more of a helper of manual conversion performed on the computer side than it was on the TI-68k series. For the 89T, there was no need to update most BCALLs, change the number of bpp, etc.
On Omni, I remember people suggesting an emulator actually, so that BASIC and ASM programs don't need to be converted or ported one by one. Not sure how feasible this would be, though.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours