Over IRC, myself, Kerm and benryves were discussing cooking. The conversation got to a point where I suggested we had a cooking and baking thread, so here it is!

It is often said that good food should be shared, so use this thread to share what you have cooked and baked with the rest of cemetech. Be sure to include a picture, a title and a weblink to the recipe or cookbook you used. If you came up with the recipe yourself then detail the processes involved in making it.

Given that we are a community of engineers and programmers, it will be very interesting to see who can cook and what we can cook.

Now, go ahead and post your makes!
I have to be gluten-free, so one of my favorite things to make is bob's red mill vanilla cake mix, but instead of baking it, put it in a waffle maker. The result is delicious!
Me and my family made apple sauce last Saturday.
Just core them, cut out the bad parts, crank them out, cook it a little (our apples from our tree are sweet enough we don't need to add sugar) and can it.

We also make jam.
Plum jam, and peach jam mostly.

My other fall favorite is dried fruit. Apples, Plums, Pears, Peaches...
All grown from our own trees in a lot that is about 1/20th of an acre.
I love cooking, I'll be in here a lot Smile
We all know my love for sweets, especially cookies. I'll make anything that's a chocolate dessert pretty much.

flyingfisch wrote:
one of my favorite things to make is bob's red mill vanilla cake mix, but instead of baking it, put it in a waffle maker. The result is delicious!

I've heard of putting brownie mix in the waffle iron but not cake mix.
I've discovered that Trader Joes' soy chorizo is a very handy alternative to ground beef (stays frozen without spoiling forever, doesn't need cooking, only heating, and is very tasty). To make a pretty nutritious, delicious, and easy meal, I boil water, then when it's boiling, drop in pasta and some frozen veggies like spinach, kale, string beans, and so on. At the same time, I cut off some frozen soy chorizo and drop it in a bowl with some tomato sauce, then microwave them together. When the pasta is ready, I drain out the pasta and veggies together, then pour it over the sauce and soy chorizo and mix it up. Some cheese on top finishes it up.
The only things I can cook are ramen noodles and mac and cheese. Razz
I'd like to think that I can cook halfways decently, but to be honest it mostly extends to baked goods, in particular muffins, and not much else.

Pac Man birthday cake, made by my Mum for me. She also did the original, rainbow apple cake for me last year.

Also, it's great to see this thread seeing some use. There are some interesting tips floating about.
One of my favorite things to make is steak. I fry it in a pan in olive oil, until it just turns dark through out. After I finish frying the steak, I throw in the long cut green beans and fry them up for a short while until bits of them start turning brown. Gives the steak and beans a great flavor. From there, I either throw on mac n cheese, garlic mashed potatoes, or a flavored noodle, depending on my mood.

http://tifreakware.net/tifreak8x/misc/steakdin.jpg

There is also Swai Fillets that I love to fry up, also in olive oil.

http://tifreakware.net/tifreak8x/misc/fishdin.jpg

And my latest experiment involved boiling rice, frying steak as described above, and behind that, cutting up fresh mushrooms and bell peppers and frying that in the steak juices. You cut the steak into small cubes and pile over the rice, and top with the vegetables. To top that off, throw on a little brown gravy, and you have a bowl of delicious.

http://tifreakware.net/tifreak8x/misc/steakricedin.jpg
Yummy stuff there tifreak, I particularly liked the looks of the last one.
tifreak8x wrote:
One of my favorite things to make is steak. I fry it in a pan in olive oil, until it just turns dark through out. After I finish frying the steak, I throw in the long cut green beans and fry them up for a short while until bits of them start turning brown. Gives the steak and beans a great flavor. From there, I either throw on mac n cheese, garlic mashed potatoes, or a flavored noodle, depending on my mood.

http://tifreakware.net/tifreak8x/misc/steakdin.jpg

There is also Swai Fillets that I love to fry up, also in olive oil.

http://tifreakware.net/tifreak8x/misc/fishdin.jpg

And my latest experiment involved boiling rice, frying steak as described above, and behind that, cutting up fresh mushrooms and bell peppers and frying that in the steak juices. You cut the steak into small cubes and pile over the rice, and top with the vegetables. To top that off, throw on a little brown gravy, and you have a bowl of delicious.

http://tifreakware.net/tifreak8x/misc/steakricedin.jpg

Why is there a keyboard in the background of all these pictures?

(your making me very hungry...)
You're*

Also:

http://tifreakware.net/tifreak8x/misc/famousbowldin.JPG

This is the KFC famous bowl, Daniel style. Well, not horridly different from the real thing, but whatever.

Layered as such: Mashed potatoes, corn, popcorn chicken, shredded cheese, and brown gravy.

As to why I have the keyboard in my pics: I eat at my desk, and my camera is at my desk, so it kind of kills 2 birds with one stone. :p
I made biscuits yesterday. They were flaky and very good with butter and honey on them.

My mom thought it was really funny that we have a Cooking and Baking forum post on a tech website. Razz
Banana Bread (with walnuts, shredded coconut and chocolate chips):

Photo495 by elfprince13, on Flickr

Delicious Oven Pancake:

Photo498 by elfprince13, on Flickr

Photo497 by elfprince13, on Flickr
16aroth6 wrote:
My mom thought it was really funny that we have a Cooking and Baking forum post on a tech website. Razz

Agreed. Razz
CalebHansberry wrote:
16aroth6 wrote:

Agreed. Razz

Yeah, it is pretty funny though pretty understandable as well Smile
Coders have to eat ... sometimes!
If anybody wants some really good pancakes and have a little time to make them... here they are.

Pancakes:
2 c. mix
2 eggs
3 Tbps. oil
1 1/4 c. water

Mix the dry ingredients together.
Add the other ingredients.
Add extra water to achieve desired consistency.
Cook on griddle, or pan, or hot rock. Razz
Makes about 12 pancakes.

Pancake Mix:
6 c. white flour
6 c. wheat flour
3 c. powdered milk
1 1/2 c. sugar
5 Tbps. baking powder
8 tsp. salt

Just mix in a bowl.
Should fit in an 18-20 cup container.

You may have to mess around with the recipie a little to get it to where you want it.

These are good with choclate chips in them...

Eat them with any topping you want, or even plain.
i [try to] make omelets, using 5 eggs, some sandwich ham, spinach, Green peppers, Onion, and generic salsa from cosco.

..they taste great, but you need to flip them right. and 5 eggs are for those with a big appetite.

also, when you want to try something new in your ramen, use the noodles, ditch the seasoning (or add it in anyways), add shredded white cheeses and pre-cooked pepperoni. pizza seasoning if you have any.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 7
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours