For a while, I have wanted to play with DCSB Libs. The hybrid library provides lots of really interesting features, such as the creation on fast, attractive and functional GUIs for the limited TI-BASIC programmer. I have found it extremely hard to learn about how to use these features due to an overwhelming lack of tutorials, which is why I propose to create one with the help of some more experienced DCSB Libs coders.

The tutorial will be in the form of a wiki page on the DCS Wiki. With it being a wiki page, members of the group (and indeed cemetech) will be able to create the tutorial in a collaborative manner.

At the moment, the structure and the style of the tutorial is undecided, but we will be making headway and getting started very soon.

At the moment, CVSoft and CalebHansberry are on board to help me on this quest of providing DCSB Libs knowledge to the masses. If anyone else would like to share their expertise in the topic of DCSB Libs, feel free to contribute.
I can definitely help out with this. I work primarily with the Cn2 libs, and I have some demo programs ready.
How is your GUI construction skill, CVSoft?
In case you need help on the xLIB commands built in DCS7, here are some resources that could be useful to you (although they're kinda old, the 2nd being from xLIB Guru wiki, which merged with TI-BD in 2007):

http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/xlib-readme
http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/xlib-tutorial
http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/xlib:masked-sprites
We're specifically talking about the DCSB Libs here, which are distinct from the other third-party libraries that Doors CS offers (xLIB, Celtic III, and PicArc). EGeek, I think of you three, Caleb has the most extensive experience with the GUI API, and will be most helpful with it.
Kerm, I would agree with you there. His Skylites icon program is very good.
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
Kerm, I would agree with you there. His Skylites icon program is very good.
Don't forget that the ASM portion of the GUI API has important documentation for understanding the GUI API in general. I assumed that people exploring the DCSB lib versions of the GUI API would also read up on the original API, which explains what all the various GUI entities are and how to use them. If you don't feel that's clear, then you're welcome to incorporate some of that information into your tutorial.
Will do, fantastic. I will read it now for the purpose of self-education!
I am quite willing to help out with this project. When I learned DCSB libs, it wasn't that easy ( I remember typing "GUIRMouse" and such into the calculator Smile ). Though, I never read the ASM section; my weird, tactile mind grasped the idea of a stack pretty well. But at any rate, I am willing to help with a tutorial/information, though I make no claim to my personal prowess in this field.

I'd prefer someone to tell me what to do, as well, as opposed to delving into it myself. Meaning, I'd say EGeek or Kerm could be the "team leader".

Sorry for the long post!
In which case, Caleb, if I devise a tutorial structure and write and describe how it all works, would you like to write exemplar code?
If you wish, assuming you mean that you'd write the tutorial and I'd write the code. My preference, though, would be that you tell me what libraries to write about, and I do so, with the code.
Ok, Caleb, that's fine. I suggest we co-write the GUI section. I coulddescribe the stack model, and you could go onto getting a response from user interaction (eg. which button on the GUI has been pressed).
BUMP!
Ok gentlemen, we have the matter of tutorial structure to discuss. What will the framework of the tutorial be?

I think it definitely needs to be example based and should:

- Describe the stack model
- Describe what most elements of the GUI do
- Show the user how to create programs that make decisions based on user input

If anyone else has any other ideas, please post them.
I probably can't help, but I'd definitely read whatever you guys put together Smile
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
BUMP!
Ok gentlemen, we have the matter of tutorial structure to discuss. What will the framework of the tutorial be?

I think it definitely needs to be example based and should:

- Describe the stack model
- Describe what most elements of the GUI do
- Show the user how to create programs that make decisions based on user input

If anyone else has any other ideas, please post them.
I think there should also perhaps be a small section on the other interesting functions in the DCSB Libs, especially the Ans Stack functions. For the items you mentioned, I think that a lot of examples would go a long way, and if you get stuck, I can certainly help write examples.
Okay, I have finally gotten an account! Now, somebody just point me to my place; where I should work.

Also, I will be entirely unable to discuss the non-GUI DCSB libs; I have never used a single one of them, regrettably.
Wonderful stuff, Caleb. We will discuss what exactly we are going to do over PM.

I was thinking:
- Caleb - GUI Stuff
- CVSoft - Cn Stuff
- EGeek - Other Stuff (Like the Ans Stack and other non-GUI stuff)

I also fancy preparing some informative graphics for the project.

How does that sound?

The tutorial, by the way is called 'DCSB Libs In Easy Steps'. I think we need to go for a clear, example driven tutorial that gives the reader challenges to APPLY and CONSOLIDATE what they have learnt.

If anyone has any further requests, ideas and information from both in and out of the development team, do not hesitate to make your voice heard.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours