Dreaming of something like this since years.....and now finally making it!
I can't explain how awesome I feel ATM Razz

So, what does this program do?
It helps you connect to gCn (global Calc net). For those familiar with it - it requires work in the terminal, setting stuff like your local name and your hub name over terminal parameters, not only requiering to have the computer turned on, but also to type stuff on it.
So, I thought that it would be awesome to skip the 'having to type something' part - and I made it now reality!
I run the program on my raspberry pi which is on 24/7 anyways, so yay.

The program on the pi checks every 5 seconds if a calculator is connected. If it is, it creates a link between calc and comp. Now you run a program on the calc (written with the DCSB libs) where you enter hub name, your name and the server you want to connect to.
The caclulator sends these informations to the comp and it starts then the client and you are connected to the internet on your fav hub - making the pc almost invisible!
here's a yt vid of it in action:

You can download the file here: http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=923
Note that it is still a beta.
you need to run the py file in a new screen. Also, if you use a other gcn client than gcnclient_rpi you'll need to change that in the py file all in the beginning.
This is very cool! Would you be willing to share the source code for both the PC and the calculator?
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
This is very cool! Would you be willing to share the source code for both the PC and the calculator?
It is in the file que of cemetech, so all that has to happen is a admin approving it Smile
Yes! I updated this!
Now it features my own, custom, python client embeded in there.
And you can actually switch hubs while a connection is present, and all kind of awesome features.
Download

I have a raspi, and I can confirm that gcnclient_rpi that is packaged with gcnclient for windows works. I have installed the necessary usb libs and python packages for gcnpicker.py to run, and it runs fine, it connects to the calc, and then it quickly says that the usb connection has timed out. Here is what the output reads:

Found Calculator
Exception usb.core.USBError: USBError(19, 'No such device (it may have been disconnected)') in <bound method Device.__del__ of <usb.core.Device object at 0xb67dd870>> ignored
misc
(110, 'Operation timed out')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "gcnpicker2.py", line 253, in start
data = self.calculator.read(0x81,500)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/usb/core.py", line 654, in read
self.__get_timeout(timeout)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/usb/backend/libusb10.py", line 541, in bulk_read
timeout)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/usb/backend/libusb10.py", line 641, in __read
timeout))
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/usb/backend/libusb10.py", line 403, in _check
raise USBError(_str_error[ret], ret, _libusb_errno[ret])
USBError: [Errno 110] Operation timed out
No Calculator found

What is causing this? why is the connection "timing out"?
after some chat on irc i updated the python file and it is now pending in the archives queue.
EDIT: It has been accepted now so just re-download if you face that issue.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours