ya... but why would they not carry the TI-84 PSE?
I can sorta understand the sale with the 84CSE, but less than the 84 plus which does less...
Bleh.. My mom says I have too many graphing calculators right now.. Understandable since I have three, as well as a color screen Prizm. Which in my mom's eyes it is no different than the CSE. So now I get to wait until I (hopefully) win one in the contest or buy one once I move out. (Ahh my mom is a calculator nazi) okay just kidding but I won't be getting one anytime soon.
Yeah even when I was a bit over 18, I had two calcs and my mom didn't like the idea of me buying a 3rd one, because she wanted me to control my spendings and spend money on useful stuff (one calc to code and the other for storage/backup was perfect for her, but I would have gotten an hard time justifying why I need a 3rd one). As a result, when I bought my 89T in 2007, I kept it hidden until I moved out.
zeldaking wrote:
Bleh.. My mom says I have too many graphing calculators right now.. Understandable since I have three, as well as a color screen Prizm. Which in my mom's eyes it is no different than the CSE. So now I get to wait until I (hopefully) win one in the contest or buy one once I move out. (Ahh my mom is a calculator nazi) okay just kidding but I won't be getting one anytime soon.
Ha, you have nothing on the calculator-based restrictions I had to deal with as a child. She does has a point (at least mathematically) about the difference between the Prizm and the TI-84+CSE, so if you don't win a CSE in the contest, you can work on writing awesome Prizm programs for now. Wink
To be quite honest, spence, I reckon the Prizm is probably the better calculator at the moment, given the fact it has a bit more user accessible power and flexibility in its programming. Then again though, I've never used both of them. By tech-spec and looks though, Prizm wins for me!

Back on topic, anyway, it's a very good offer, but sadly, no target books in the UK. In fact, finding a graphing calculator in the UK is like searching for unicorn poo. Sad
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
In fact, finding a graphing calculator in the UK is like searching for unicorn poo. Sad

Yep - I don't know why that should be. Looking for one in the Isle of Man is akin to a Luddites day out at Palo Alto
I'm borrowing my graphing calculator right now. The Prizm looks like it's a lot better deal ($50 on Amazon in "very good" condition), so I might just pick one up. Unfortunately, TI's calculators seem to have better build quality, but that's not a /huge/ deal.
I picked up an old Casio 9860G in mint condition and am mightily impressed with the OS (GUI) albeit old but easy to use and the build quality is impressive.
I won't be adding another TI to my collection. It's Casio from here on in, although I will still learn ASM on the Z80, but for serious developing I plan to go down C/C++ using the SDK.
If you want to change your name to casio9860head, that might be possible ;D

16aroth6 wrote:
I can sorta understand the sale with the 84CSE, but less than the 84 plus which does less...

So, they didn't have it at all? Or they were sold out?

If they didn't have it at all, I'll tack on a disclaimer that it might not be available at all stores and to check your Targets weekly ad (which you can find online) or call ahead.
Okay - I asked for that ! Maybe I was a bit "rash". I still love my 83 and 86. Very Happy
Picked mine up today! I was about to buy a "red" one but it looked more magenta so I opted for black. I gotta charge it though! Sad
comicIDIOT wrote:
Picked mine up today! I was about to buy a "red" one but it looked more magenta so I opted for black. I gotta charge it though! Sad
Ah, my contact at TI who sent me my review model was kind enough to charge the calculator before sending it along, so I got to play with it right away. Smile You'll have to test out Tetric A on it today! Very Happy
comicIDIOT wrote:
If you want to change your name to casio9860head, that might be possible ;D

16aroth6 wrote:

So, they didn't have it at all? Or they were sold out?

If they didn't have it at all, I'll tack on a disclaimer that it might not be available at all stores and to check your Targets weekly ad (which you can find online) or call ahead.

They didn't have any period. None on the shelf or in the ad.
Lameness.
comicIDIOT wrote:
If you haven't bought your TI-84+CSE yet, now would be an amazing time. This week at Target you can purchase the CSE for $90! That's $40 off the MSRP, or 31% off! You could buy Christopher Mitchell's (KermMartian's) "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" and "Using the TI-83+/84+" and still come out with money saved. The latter of the two books actually covers the TI-84+CSE! (Part 4, Chapter 12)

Below is a picture of all four calculators that are advertised in one of the local Targets to KermMartian and myself in California. Picture below courtesy of KermMartian.

Unfortunately, Target doesn't seem to have the TI-84+CSE listed online but they might have it in-store (be sure to check your local Target ad online) Let us know which color you picked up in this topic and if you plan to start any projects or download certain programs!

Hey guys! The TI-84+ C SE Sale is back! You have another week to grab this calculator for 90 bucks (in the USA!)! Do note, it may not be available at all Targets as was noted by 16aroth16 above. So, use the links at the bottom of the quoted post (or in the original post) to call ahead or check the local ad online. This ad is for Papillion Nebraska, be sure to change the zip code if it's incorrect!
That's great news, comic! I hope that gives the people who didn't win a TI-84+CSE in the contest but still wanted a calculator the opportunity to purchase it. Do they still have all four colors in your Target?
I only saw one color (black, IIRC) when I was at Target. I didn't check to see if they were out of the other colors, however. It was indeed $90.
This week, Staples' Canadian website has the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition listed at $139.82 on sale (from $159.82), which isn't too bad. I am unsure if it's as cheap (or available) in local stores, though. There are also sales on the TI-83 Plus, TI-84 Plus and TI-Nspire CX.

Also, for some reasons, they now seems to carry FX-9750GII ($59.99), 9860GII (as low as $89.99) and Classpad 400 ($169.99) online.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Graphing-Calculators/cat_CL200797_2-CA_1_20001

As a BASIC programmer, I am not certain if I want to spend $170 on a ClassPad 400 when its BASIC language is reportedly slower than the one on the PRIZM. xLIB CSE is on the way and HP Prime BASIC rivals Z80 ASM in speed.
Buying a Prime is indeed a far better choice than buying a fx-CP400 or even more underpowered, an 84+CSE Smile
*bump* Comic has tweeted a tweet that Target is selling the TI-84+CSE for $85 this year, until August 16th. If you've been looking to add a new TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition to your collection, this seems like an extremely good price for it.
Target Canada doesn't even sell TI calculators D:

All they have is the FX-9750GII.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours