About thirteen years ago, I started writing Doors CS, then known as Doors XP. It started as a list of programs drawn onto the graphscreen with TI-BASIC, and gradually evolved into the full-featured shell it is today, used on hundreds of thousands of TI-83 Plus and TI-84 Plus graphing calculators. It evolved from a TI-83 BASIC program to a TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus ASM program to an App. It has engendered accolades, criticism, and controversy, and Doors CS and its features have been featured on ticalc.org, Hackaday, Gizmodo, and others. Today, it is with bittersweet pride that I bring the final chapter of Doors CS for the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus to a close by releasing Doors CS 7.2.

Doors CS 7.2 is the ultimate shell and GUI for your TI graphing calculator. It can run any BASIC or ASM program or game, including MirageOS, Ion, Doors CS, and nostub programs. Organize your programs into nested folders, lock, rename, copy, archive, hide, and edit programs directly from Doors CS, or use the HomeRun feature to run any program from the TI-OS homescreen. Doors CS is built to be extremely user-friendly, using a mouse-based interface to appeal to users accustomed to using computers. On the opposite end of the user spectrum, it includes myriad keyboard shortcuts so that those who prefer to use a keyboard rather than a mouse can quickly and efficiently move through Doors CS. The Associated Program feature lets you click on any file, like game levels, documents, pictures, and songs, and have them automatically open with the correct viewer program. Doors CS 7.2 builds in the CALCnet2.2 networking library for communication and multiplayer gaming between two, twenty, or two billion calculators, as well as many bug fixes and tweaks since Doors CS 7.1. It contains full libraries for xLIB, Celtic III, PicArc, Omnicalc, and the new DCSB Libs; TI-BASIC programmers can now even use CALCnet.

I want to especially thank all of you in the community, from the Cemetech administrators who helped me stay motivated on Doors CS, to the beta-testers and coders who contributed their time and effort. I even want to thank the seasoned community members who scoffed at some young upstart boasting about his as-yet nonexistent shell so many years ago, whose skepticism pushed Doors CS from two marble notebook full of half-working assembly code into the rock-solid, widely-used software that it is today. I look forward to the next decade-long project that I'll find myself embroiled in. As for you, download Doors CS 7.2 today and experience the full power of your calculator!

Download & Information
Doors CS 7.2
Doors CS Software Developers' Kit (SDK)
Video of major Doors CS features

Congratulations Kerm! I always knew that DCS could be much more than that BASIC shell I found online last year. Yes, I found a copy of DoorsXP. I later googled it to see if it had been improved and discovered the best shell I had ever laid my hands on. Thank you for making such a great shell.
Thanks for saying so, ordelore! I hope it continues to be useful for many years to come, and I look forward to seeing new shells in the community, whether I have a hand in making them or not.
Congratulations Kerm! I take it I'll need to come for another visit to get my elfprince edition built?

Also, that thread was pretty retro. Kerm using incorrect grammar, and benryves getting agitated.
elfprince13 wrote:
Congratulations Kerm! I take it I'll need to come for another visit to get my elfprince edition built?
No, I'll rebuild the Elfprince, Merthsoft, and Souvik editions and send them along to their respective users. Smile

Quote:
Also, that thread was pretty retro. Kerm using incorrect grammar, and benryves getting agitated.
As Benryves pointed out on IRC, his frustration was more than justified. I certainly would be annoyed with myself if I was him now and past me was some upstart touting their accomplishments with little proof.
Kerm, how do the Elfprince, Merthsoft and Souvik editions differ to the standard build?
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
Kerm, how do the Elfprince, Merthsoft and Souvik editions differ to the standard build?
They have custom About screens. Souvik earned his by winning one of our contests. Elfprince and Merthsoft earned theirs by visiting me in real life.
Congrats Kerm! It has been great to see the wonderful achievements you've made over the years Smile
JamesV wrote:
Congrats Kerm! It has been great to see the wonderful achievements you've made over the years Smile
JamesV, thank you; that means a lot to me coming from a community mainstay such as yourself. I think a good programmer always knows that they have more to do and learn to become the best, so I hope to continue to learn from all of you and make bigger and better projects for many years to come (even if they're not necessarily calculator projects).
Nicely done Kerm. Downloading right now.

As an aside, are there mathematical routines in the libraries, for floats or fixed point math? I kinda lost the documentation in a crash.
In the ASM libraries? No, although there are multiplication and division routines for integers in the MirageOS libraries, taken from z80 Bits. You can use those for fixed-point math.
ok. thank you.

is DCS 7.2 a stability release for Calcnet, or are there other major features added? If so, what are the differences between 7.1 and 7.2?
ACagliano, this may help

http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php/Version_History

(The DCS Version History)
Good news. I am sure I express the views of all here when I say I agree with your sentiment that in one sense, we're all glad to see another version, but sad to know it is the last, at least for the legacy models. One thing I can appreciate, though: my DCS7 ornament will never grow outdated! Smile

KermMartian wrote:
Thanks for saying so, ordelore! I hope it continues to be useful for many years to come, and I look forward to seeing new shells in the community, whether I have a hand in making them or not.

I highly doubt you will have a hand in making them, to be frank.

Also, is there still a download of DCS versions 1 - 3?

[EDIT] Highly funny now: "Right........ When are you going to admit that DoorsXP is just a publicity stunt and it's never coming out? You've promised screenshots and betas but none have come. You always say "just a few more weeks" and I really am sick and tired of this. The source code you posted on the website is tragically flawed as has been pointed out by many people. Just about the only thing you have going for you is the unwavering support of your one fan, YOU. That's it. Just you. Anyone with a brain can see through your stalling tactics and lack of results. Please, for the good of the comunity, stop this." Those comments sure were numerous and heated! Now I feel like finishing DoorsVista Razz
It was Doors which compelled me to visit this site around 1 year ago. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the screen shots on YouTube and subsequently opened my eyes to the collective talents here at Cemetech.
Has TI ever acknowledged the existence of this work ? Casio has had a GUI of sorts for a few years.
CalebHansberry wrote:
Also, is there still a download of DCS versions 1 - 3?
I might have a copy of Doors CS 3 lying around, but I fear that Doors CS 1 and 2 may be lost to the ages.
ti83head wrote:
It was Doors which compelled me to visit this site around 1 year ago. I could not believe my eyes when I saw the screen shots on YouTube and subsequently opened my eyes to the collective talents here at Cemetech.
Has TI ever acknowledged the existence of this work ? Casio has had a GUI of sorts for a few years.
Sadly, no. I've even spoken with them obliquely about the possibility of pre-loading it on calculators, but it never really got discussed, and I would understand their hesitation anyway.
I got a copy of the SDK printed today. For 20 minutes it was like having a Gutenberg Press in the kitchen, but well worth it! Flicking through the 134 pages really made me realise just how big DCS7 actually is. Thank you very much, Kerm for a fantastic piece of software and an amazing SDK. Smile
You're most welcome, Electronics, and thanks for recognizing the scale of the effort I've put into the shell. Smile Shaun and I both printed off the SDK and got it bound at Kinko's, so I'm glad someone else has a solid hardcopy of it.
Kerm. How are your and Shaun's copies bound? At the moment, my SDK is a stack of paper! Very Happy
ElectronicsGeek wrote:
Kerm. How are your and Shaun's copies bound? At the moment, my SDK is a stack of paper! Very Happy
I got mine bound with a pin binding, black plastic backing, and clear plastic front. It looks something like this:

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours