Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
I don't know if it was mentioned yet but the interrupt code in the old 28 days tuto is defunc.
Yeah, I think that's well-known among the contributors but nobody's bothered fixing it yet (you could be the first, and be immortalized in the credits page!).
Here are some things I found in the guide I reading/learning that it:

Links page
A lot of links are broken so they should be removed from the guide, or changed to the right/new URL.

  • All links under the "Official Stuff" (SDK, SDK guide, System routine docs, undocumented features) except Z80 User's Manual.
  • United-TI (Read only forum).
  • Maxcoderz + Maxcoderz main site: broken links.
  • Greenfire Programming: broken link.
  • TI Technology Discussion Groups (not the main site): broken link.
  • At the Credits, the link to the "Z80 assembly guide" is also broken.

And maybe the worst thing of all, Cemetech is not in the list!

XOR example
It gives this as example:
Quote:
%11110000
%01010101
%10101010 (= result)

But I think it should be this:
Quote:
%10100101


Wrong position
Starting from day 7, the commands say which flag's are affected and which flag not. But it isn't pretty handy to read it in this state (Flag is 1 line higher together with the previous explanation).

Missing dot
This a tiny thing, but I noticed it so maybe not that tiny Very Happy.
Quote:
But now I'm just rambling, back to the action Very Happy

You see the missing dot at the end? (of course you don't see it, there is no dot!)


Last but not least: Keep doing the good work and update the guide Smile!
Merch wrote:
Links page
A lot of links are broken so they should be removed from the guide, or changed to the right/new URL.
Haven't touched the contents of that page (hence it doesn't have the new stylesheet). Somebody will presumably get around to it at some point. Created Issue #10 to track this.

Quote:
Fixed.

Quote:
Wrong position
Starting from day 7, the commands say which flag's are affected and which flag not. But it isn't pretty handy to read it in this state (Flag is 1 line higher together with the previous explanation).
Covered by Issue #8. Somebody needs to find the time to audit the text and fix whatever Pandoc 1.13 broke.

Quote:
Fixed.
Please have an epilogue for starter projects. More charts to make it easier to understand. Integrate my z80 ASM vs TI-Basic table. Make it into a PDF. Add TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition differences. Add quizzes and reviews. Projects can be helpful also.
Ephraim B wrote:
Please have an epilogue for starter projects. More charts to make it easier to understand. Integrate my z80 ASM vs TI-Basic table. Make it into a PDF. Add TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition differences. Add quizzes and reviews. Projects can be helpful also.


???
I don't get what you're complaining about. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see why they should add this stuff, or if will even help.
There are already lots of charts, at least 1 on every page, mostly. The Bitbucket page is just to be able to implement changes easily, and not have to notify all of its users that it's changed, since not all of it has been updated to the new information. The quizzes and reviews are not necessary, as you are invited to build all of the example programs yourself, which, by also modifying it, is how you learn. Because of this, projects are also not really helpful, as you already have the answer.
The reviews at the end of this page in the following link are helpful
http://z80-heaven.wikidot.com/the-registers-and-memory

I want the same thing in ASM in 28 days.
that would be nice.
Don't know if this is really all that important, but it might be nice to have the code caps be lowercase, to help promote better styling... Of course, this might take way to much time.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Don't know if this is really all that important, but it might be nice to have the code caps be lowercase, to help promote better styling... Of course, this might take way to much time.
Yeah, I feel the same way. I believe I recommended small case and spaces instead of tabs between opcodes and operands, but I certainly understand that that's not our highest priority. Smile
To all of your suggestions, pull requests welcome!
I'm not exactly sure how all of this works/how to do pull requests, but i'd love to spend some of my spare time sprucing it up. I just installed Pandoc, now i'll look online to see if i can figure out this pull request stuff.
Day 23 has the following:
Quote:
On the Z80 CPU, there are two devices (flip-flops) that are called IFF1 and IFF2. When the interrupt timer goes off, IFF1 is checked to see if the interrupt can run. IFF2 is used to save the status of IFF1.

This is only true for NMIs. We don't have NMIs. If you try to write an emulator that uses this behavior for regular interrupts, it will have very-hard-to-track-down issues. Not that I know this from experience, or anything. Clearly, a guru like me wouldn't make such a mistake[!]
I suggest we should move day 11 (Displaying Text) a bit forward. People need to read to day 11 until they can display stuff. That means the previous days are very theoretical, because you can't actually see (or display) what you do. If you move it a bit forward people can use the stuff they learn for displaying things.
Also almost all things, if not all, you need to know for displaying a simple character/number/string are covered in day 1-3. This makes IMHO day 4 the best day to move this to.

Also, because definitions are in blue, same for links. So if there is a definition with a link you can't read properly read the link text. Example of day 11:

This means we should either change the color of links, or the color of the definitions.
DrDnar wrote:
Day 23 has the following:
Quote:
On the Z80 CPU, there are two devices (flip-flops) that are called IFF1 and IFF2. When the interrupt timer goes off, IFF1 is checked to see if the interrupt can run. IFF2 is used to save the status of IFF1.

This is only true for NMIs. We don't have NMIs. If you try to write an emulator that uses this behavior for regular interrupts, it will have very-hard-to-track-down issues. Not that I know this from experience, or anything. Clearly, a guru like me wouldn't make such a mistake[!]
I'm not quite sure what the fix is, since I haven't dug into the Z80 manual. Can you elaborate on what that should be changed to so it becomes correct?

Monkey0x9 wrote:
Also, because definitions are in blue, same for links. So if there is a definition with a link you can't read properly read the link text.
Fixed up. See also issue 11 for some fallout from related changes making romcall blocks nicer.

Monkey0x9 wrote:
I suggest we should move day 11 (Displaying Text) a bit forward. People need to read to day 11 until they can display stuff. That means the previous days are very theoretical, because you can't actually see (or display) what you do. If you move it a bit forward people can use the stuff they learn for displaying things.
I think it makes more sense to at least introduce many of the principles, then provide applications as we do now. Most readers will need to refer back to those earlier lessons later on, but I don't see any problem with that.
Tari wrote:
Monkey0x9 wrote:
I suggest we should move day 11 (Displaying Text) a bit forward. People need to read to day 11 until they can display stuff. That means the previous days are very theoretical, because you can't actually see (or display) what you do. If you move it a bit forward people can use the stuff they learn for displaying things.
I think it makes more sense to at least introduce many of the principles, then provide applications as we do now. Most readers will need to refer back to those earlier lessons later on, but I don't see any problem with that.

Well, I like it, as a beginner, to see some progress when you're learning a new programming language. When I can output something I can also experiment with the new stuff I learn, making me understand it better. So people can learn by doing stuff instead of just reading.
I can't see if it's been updated, but if not, the link to Patai Gergely's 'incredible Z80 assembly guide' (in /ref/credit.md) should be changed to this.
I find a very small typo: at day 19, you create a complex variable, 5219.86-0.1821i . In FP-number format, you have defined $52 $18 $86 which should be $52$19 $86 I guess Smile
M. I. Wright wrote:
I can't see if it's been updated, but if not, the link to Patai Gergely's 'incredible Z80 assembly guide' (in /ref/credit.md) should be changed to this.
Done.
PT_ wrote:
I find a very small typo: at day 19, you create a complex variable, 5219.86-0.1821i . In FP-number format, you have defined $52 $18 $86 which should be $52$19 $86
Fixed. Also fixed the tables that were wrong in that lesson.
Greetings Everyone,

I was wondering if "Learn TI-83 Plus Assembly in 28 Days" is still being improved? I ask because I notice very few posts over the last year.

The reason I ask is because I have read the Introduction Day 1 and using only the information provide I really doubt that someone with little experience would be able to successfully get the 'Hello, World' program to successfully work. They then might give up and walk away.

If you are still updating this, then I would like to go through the issues I had and what I did to resolve them and my thoughts on topics on this page. Since my list is rather long, I don't want to post if nothing is being done.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 6 of 7
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement