I remember Quebec being an huge hassle for contests, causing several companies such as Nintendo to exclude Quebec residents from any lottery-like contests that were available to other parts of Canada. In Quebec, I think there are some fees to be paid (based on the prize value, IIRC) and other things such as registering the contest. However, since your contest is not lottery-based, but rather involves skills, you are fine.
DJ_O wrote:
I remember Quebec being an huge hassle for contests, causing several companies such as Nintendo to exclude Quebec residents from any lottery-like contests that were available to other parts of Canada. In Quebec, I think there are some fees to be paid (based on the prize value, IIRC) and other things such as registering the contest. However, since your contest is not lottery-based, but rather involves skills, you are fine.
Yup, I researched that and same all of the restrictions for Quebec. By the way, a big thanks to ticalc.org for posting a news article about the contest; I look forward to the extra contestants I hope the news will attract.
featured on the official Texas instrument facebook too!
Shock that was unexpected !
matrefeytontias wrote:
Shock that was unexpected !

Not really, the original contest topic made me think that this was in the plan all along
We're honored that TI decided to post about our contest on their Facebook page and to tweet about it! It has renewed outside interest in the contest, and I can only hope that it brings us more dedicated programmers.
Ashbad wrote:
Not really, the original contest topic made me think that this was in the plan all along

The fact that we're giving away calculators? From an "anonymous" source? Ever since the TI-84 Color SE was discovered TI has been considerably more engaging to the community, even sending out the TI84CSE for testing to us and other communities. We are running a contest that is both promoting the use of learning to program and to educate those who use these programs. So, the fact that Texas Instruments picked up and posted about our contest is of little surprise. We unfortunately can't reveal who the donor of the prizes are because of the whole "we want to remain anonymous" request. I leave the lot of you to speculate. It's a bummer they didn't post it sooner. Hopefully there's still enough time for new and amazing entries to be created and submitted!

Sorry for the lengthy and researched reply, I just wanted to make sure I presented the bigger picture while doing my best to not alter your (or anyone else's) assumption.

legodude wrote:
featured on the official Texas instrument facebook too!

The more the merrier! Thanks for sharing! Hopefully a few other sites will see this post and share it as well. We'll try to post about it if we see sudden/new traffic from other sources.
comicIDIOT wrote:
So, the fact that Texas Instruments picked up and posted about our contest is of little surprise. We unfortunately can't reveal who the donor of the prizes are because of the whole "we want to remain anonymous" request. I leave the lot of you to speculate.

For us (TI-Planet), TI-France posts about our contest everytime, so it helps too; I'm glad they did the same for Cemetech (although it's better here since the FB account of TI Worldwide has much more followers Razz). Our contests are mostly sponsored by either TI France or one of its reseller, actually, and I guess that's good publicity for them - if TI Dallas or a reseller is your sponsor, I'm not sure why they'd wish to stay anonymous (maybe trying to be faire for all ? who knows) Either way, it's good for you to have those prizes Smile

comicIDIOT wrote:
It's a bummer they didn't post it sooner. Hopefully there's still enough time for new and amazing entries to be created and submitted!

Indeed, some people will have less time than others, sadly.
If TI was our sponsor, I'd imagine that there would be legal issues with them "officially" sponsoring the contest, and perhaps tax issues as well. Our actual anonymous sponsor probably wishes to remain anonymous for similar reasons. Congrats re: TI-France posting about your contests; I didn't realize they did that. It seems TI-France has a much closer relationship with the community, although I've been gratified how much TI Worldwide has been reaching out to Cemetech specifically and the community in general over the past year or so. I hope the good relationship and cooperation continues for years to come.

Regarding the time issue, people tend to wait until the last minute to write their contest entries anyway, so I'm not too worried.
I found out about the contest from the TI Facebook page. I'm working on a water ballon launcher game. In it, the user has to hit a target a certain distance away by specifying the speed and angle of the launch.

What level of assistance should I provide the player? Is it enough to point them in the right directions by giving them relevant equations?

EDIT: Thanks for hosting the contest! I'm looking forward to submitting my entry.
The relevant equation will help make it properly physics-y. Perhaps you could also add a way for them to plug values into the equation and see how they affect the result? Or something.
Alright, sounds good. Has the rubric been posted yet?
iHack wrote:
Alright, sounds good. Has the rubric been posted yet?
Yes it has; it was posted five days after the initial contest announcement. You can find it here:
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9282

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours