Well I'm thinking this is to teach the physic concept, so using Calculus would seem a little odd but who knows. I'm sticking with using generic, basic equations.
zeldaking wrote:
Well I'm thinking this is to teach the physic concept, so using Calculus would seem a little odd but who knows. I'm sticking with using generic, basic equations.
I think that Calculus-based physics is appropriate to college audiences, since that's how they would learn it, while an Algebra-based approach would be good for high school students. I think programs for both approaches would be good.
Ooh.. Could we have different "level" settings; one Calculus based, while the other Algebra; into one program?
zeldaking wrote:
Ooh.. Could we have different "level" settings; one Calculus based, while the other Algebra; into one program?
If you think it's within the scale of what you can finish in 7.5 weeks, sure! Just make sure that you have a complete program before you have an expansive program.
That's true. I so seem to have multiple large programs but none get finished. Medium sized tend to get finished with my short attention span. I'll see what I can come up with.
Quote:
including asking for programming help publicly or privately. Violators will be disqualified.

I don't really know much about programming for the 84 so what would I be allowed to ask for to learn before starting on my program? I would love to compete, but if I can't ask for help learning I won't be able to try at all.
ruler501 wrote:
Quote:
including asking for programming help publicly or privately. Violators will be disqualified.

I don't really know much about programming for the 84 so what would I be allowed to ask for to learn before starting on my program? I would love to compete, but if I can't ask for help learning I won't be able to try at all.
You can ask about general programming skills and concepts. You can't ask about things very specific to your entry, and you definitely can't share code with anyone and ask why it isn't working.
So asking for help with getting C or grayscale to work, but asking how to draw a vector going a certain direction derived from an equation would be wrong right?
KermMartian wrote:
SquidgetX: Yes, one of the key things to understand about this contest is that it's not meant as a games contest. I know that a lot of our current programmers (especially the Omnimaga/Axe crowd) tend to only write games, so we're (reluctantly) allowing educational games. However, even if you are making an educational game, you need concrete equations that the user needs to understand and solve in order to play the game. It's not enough to just make a physics game at all. And if you make an educational non-game that's still fun, then all the better. I was thinking about the problem of using a pen and paper or a second calculator, and we definitely want programs to require that kind of thought.

Thanks, this level of detail is what I wanted to hear. Off to brainstorm!

Also. I petition the board to consider other physics topics aside from just projectile motion and particle interaction. What about topics such as friction, slope physics, momentum/collision, torque and rotational motion, and springs? (Just to name a few).
Squidgetx: We'd love to have people write programs with all those different topics, but not for this contest. We find that people do best in these contests if we find a good balance between specific requirements and freedom to choose. We also think that making all of the programs cover the same one or two sets of topics will make it easier to compare the relative merits of the entries. Best of luck in the contest; can't wait to see your topic.
@Kerm, nah, very unlikely I'm going to enter -- I barely have any time for my own idea as it is, and I want to get far on it before I lose any motivation. But otherwise I would.

squidgetx wrote:
I petition the board to consider other physics topics aside from just projectile motion and particle interaction. What about topics such as friction, slope physics, momentum/collision, torque and rotational motion, and springs? (Just to name a few).

So, basically what everyone's done with Axe parser a million times now
Ashbad: No, because those are just physics games. We're talking about actually teaching, say, the equations for friction, slope physics, and so on (which are not, of course, allowed if the entry does not also cover at least particle forces like magnetism, electric fields, or gravity, or projectile motion). Sorry to hear that you're not entering.
Great Subject ... Will probably enter this contest Wink
Cartix wrote:
Great Subject ... Will probably enter this contest Wink
Before you start writing your entry, wait for me to post up the Official Rules and the rubric. Unfortunately, it looks like French law prohibits me from allowing French contestants to enter unless we register the contest with the French authorities and pay a substantial fee to a lawyer. Sad
Ashbad

chill out dude

Kerm, understood. We'll see if I can come up with an idea in time.
KermMartian wrote:
zeldaking wrote:
I think that Calculus-based physics is appropriate to college audiences, since that's how they would learn it, while an Algebra-based approach would be good for high school students. I think programs for both approaches would be good.

Not for me... Algebra 1&2 were for junior high. Calculus is for high school. Wink
Well, I've had some time to think about it, but I do think that my job for this summer contest shall be to learn ASM to program a program all about planets and the gravitational force between them.

spaaaace.
16aroth6: Yes, me too, but it's safer to assume for the purposes of this contest that the bulk of high school students will learn Calculus as upperclassman in high school or in college.

Qazz42: Great, I look forward to your entry! Get that topic started.
KermMartian wrote:
Before you start writing your entry, wait for me to post up the Official Rules and the rubric. Unfortunately, it looks like French law prohibits me from allowing French contestants to enter unless we register the contest with the French authorities and pay a substantial fee to a lawyer. Sad

But I'm belgian, so will it be different ?
Cartix wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

But I'm belgian, so will it be different ?
We pored over the relevant laws, and we can allow Dutch contestants, but I didn't check the Belgian laws. Would you be able to take a look?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours