In a previous news, Adriweb and Levak were releasing nRemote, a computer program (written in Java) that allows you to send commands to your Nspire via keypresses, using TI's official way (that's why TINCS is needed).

It thus became possible to remote control a TI-Nspire directly from your computer ; either via USB or wirelessly if you have the Navigator's Wi-Fi cradle Smile

Today, Adriweb works with Jim Bauwens to (soon) release an extraordinary tool however technically similar. Something that was actually a joke by Levak and myself a few years ago, and like some of our april fools, become reality on TI-Planet today !

Yes, here is a web-browser for your TI-Nspire! Very Happy
And no, this is not an april fool or some kind of joke. It's worth noticing this was already kind of possible already on TI-83+ and TI-84+ (even though quite complex Razz)

As you can see, you just have to type the adress of the website in a lua script, while the Nspire is connected (wifi or usb) to the computer.

This adress is then sent to the computer via a nice and tricky way (compressed pixel-color-based encoding) by the lua script and decoded back on the computer, which then grabs the URL and sends back the "raw" data to the Lua script that parses and displays it.

The fact that all this actually uses an official TI protocol and only requires Lua guarantees the sustainability of the chosen solution. Maybe will there be soon some way to shortly search things from the Internet directly from the Nspire in TI-Nspire Navigator classes, wirelessly ! Wink

See you soon for the public release ! Wink

Source (french and english) : http://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=10379
To add some aditional details:
The PC side has two services, one that allows the calculator talk with a socket, and another one too download http files and send it to the handheld. TinyWeb ultilizes the second service to fetch the html.

Originally I wanted to imlement http using the socket, but having the second options speed things very much up.
Couldn't you link to the official Cemetech Gossamer announcement rather than where someone copy-and-pasted my work to another site? Razz I wouldn't exactly call Gossamer complex, but to each his own. This is great work, of course, keep it up. As you mention, it's particularly valid in that you didn't have to tiptoe around the Nspire's locked-down security to make it work, so kudos for that. Something like this should be trivial to implement in Prizm Lua as well, since Lua can talk in RS232 over the serial port.

Edit: Oh, this topic is probably copy-pasted from TI-Planet, which explains why the Gossamer link goes there instead of here. Smile
All sound excellent; cheers to all! Now all we need is to use the TI-Navigator for connecting the TI-83+/84+ via WiFi! Smile I especially like the idea of using WiFi on a Casio Prizm.
Wow, nice work! I wasn't expecting to hear that ever!
What ever happened to this? It was a popular thing for a while, but then it just stopped.
Spenceboy98 wrote:
What ever happened to this? It was a popular thing for a while, but then it just stopped.
Like Gossamer, it's a novelty. It's cool to browse the internet on your TI-83+/84+ or your TI-Nspire, but it's just not practical in the long run.
Spenceboy98 wrote:

Well, the main problem is that I don't have that much time to work on everything. I created a quite nice library but actually never released it. Maybe I'll dump the code on github so that others can have some fun with that Smile
I would at least like a beta thrown out. Then, the wolf pack leaders of Cemetech could tear it apart quicker than the average pack of wolves. Kerm could also *cough* improve *cough* Gossamer *cough* to include *cough* pixel graphics in *cough* the new TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. Sorry for the coughing fit. Wink
ordelore wrote:
I would at least like a beta thrown out. Then, the wolf pack leaders of Cemetech could tear it apart quicker than the average pack of wolves. Kerm could also *cough* improve *cough* Gossamer *cough* to include *cough* pixel graphics in *cough* the new TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. Sorry for the coughing fit. Wink

We all hope and pray...
ordelore wrote:

That would be cool, but let's not put any stress on Kerm to do these things. Wink

Hopefully, Jim will put stuff on github, but I don't want to stress him either. Razz
Yup, no stress.

Not much anyway
Sounds awesome, I have an Nspire and this may be one of the first times in a while I use it, can't wait:)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours