Hey everyone, I have a quick question regarding optimization in ti-basic. Right now I'm trying to make the least memory, fastest random card deck routine. So it pretty much shuffles a deck. The suites are stored as 1,2,3 or 4 as Hearts, Diamond, Spade, Clubs respectively. I don't care how in memory they are stored and right now I have the number of the card in list CN and suites in list CT here is my routine.

Code:

:randIntNoRep(1,52->L1
:52->dim(L CN    ;L is list
:52->dim(L CT
:For(T,1,4    ;loop for suites
:For(N,1,13
:L1(13T-13+N->θ
:N->L CN(θ
:T->L CT(θ
:End
:End

Lets see what you guys can come up with!
it looks like axe...

but hey its interesting
i didn´t thought about something like this.
i would use labels and strings and lists...
but this is faster:D
*turns brain from c++ to TI Perl*

Well my TI Perl is a bit rusty but it looks really pretty good. I dont see any way to make it too much smaller, but i am Sure Weregoose could prove me wrong there.

edit: funny thing is, on this routine i just had to do it for a programming project for COSC 1030 advanced c++ and i optimize pretty well as force of habit from C++ and this takes less code and looks faster (for ratio of the system) which is kinda surprising. Very Happy
Hey thanks! I didn't think about the randIntNoRep( idea until messing around with several ideas. I am happy how it worked out.
I am also wondering if there is anyway similar to this in axe, but since the randIntNoRep( is not a valid token I am trying to come up with another way.
What I would do is :

Code:
4⁻¹randIntNoRep(0,51

Then you use 4fPart() on the list element to figure out the suit (this will return a value of 0,1,2, or 3) and then use iPart() on the list element to figure out the card (this will return a value from 0 to 12).

I hope this helps and is more efficient/faster!

EDIT: Replaced .25 with 4⁻¹ since the speed difference is not really noticeable by humans and it is a byte smaller.
Hmm I didn't think of that. I'm not that good at Ti-Basic yet. Thanks for that!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours