How does DoorsCS implement direct USB functionality? I'm especially interested in any OS calls you make, any direct USB hardware ports you access or poll directly, OS flags you look at, etc.

If I recall correctly, you use _SendUSBData (BCALL 50F2h), check the OS' 5,(iy+41h) flag for bulk data ready to be received, as well as a routine to receive bytes to RAM. Does this routine handle both host and peripheral mode? (Meaning, does it take a different path depending on bit 2 of port 8Fh?)

I would like to see about using the USB link activity hook to hook into DoorsCS' functionality and allow DUSB gCn functionality using other cable configurations, such as tethering with an Android phone's internet connection. In such a situation, the calculator is host, not peripheral, so DoorsCS' routines might have to be modified.

Ideally, I'd like to just tweak DoorsCS' USB routines so that everything continues to work as-is as well as supporting this new configuration.

But I think the more flexible solution would be to allow hooking into this functionality from an assembly program or Flash application.

I think that the BCALL _RunAppLib (http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=83Plus:BCALLs:50EC) would be good to use for this.

You could simply call this, passing in a predetermined function name as a string to determine whether a "USB extension" exists oncalc, and if so, use its routines instead of the ones you have built in.

For example:

HasgCnSp [Has gCn Support?], which returns whether this application supports and wants to hook into DoorsCS gCn support.
IsDatRdy [Is Data Ready?], which returns whether incoming data is ready to be received.
RecvData [Receive Data], which actually receives USB data.
SendData [Send Data], which actually sends USB data.
IsConnRd [Is Connection ready?], which returns whether USB is ready to be used right now.

The above is just off the top of my head and certainly not set in stone, I just want to see what you think of this -- or if nothing else, if you could post/attach the relevant DUSB gCn source code, that would be helpful.
*Bumpity Bump*

Kerm, you should answer this question!
Indeed he should, I want to know the answer as well.
BrandonW wrote:
How does DoorsCS implement direct USB functionality? I'm especially interested in any OS calls you make, any direct USB hardware ports you access or poll directly, OS flags you look at, etc.
Let me show you abbreviated code to answer this:

Code:
Cn2_Int_ReceiveFrame_USB:
   bit 5,(iy+41h)
   jp z,Cn2_Int_CheckPendSend
   ;receive code here:
   ;play with $8E, $94, $96, $A2, $8B, and other fun things
   ;if the Cn2.2 frame is complete, great.  Otherwise:
   ;sets im1 from inside the Cn2.2 interrupt, ei, halt, di
   ;to let more data fill the USB buffer
   ;repeats while bit 5,(iy+41h) is reset
   ;skips to fail if turned off
   ;repeat receiving processing

Code:
Cn2_Int_SendFrame_USB:

ex af, af'
   exx                        ;swap to normal registers
   ;push all the registers
                  in a,($05)                     ;$C000 port
                  ld b,a
                  ld a,3
                  out ($05),a
                  ;copy ALL the data out of the buffer!
                  out ($05),a
                  xor a
                  out ($33),a
                  ld a,$43
                  out ($33),a
                  ld a,$3
                  out ($34),a
                  ld hl,$0014
                  ld ($90AA),hl                  ;timeout counter
                  ld l,a
                  out ($35),a
                  res 0,(iy+43h)                  ;timeout flag
                  set 3,(iy+41h)                  ;force it not to kill the USB connection??
                  ld hl,Cn2_RAMPage3_Buffer+$4000
                  im 1
                  ei
                  bcall(50F2h)      ;SendUSBData
                  di
                  rlc a            ;rotate carry into bit 0
                  ld (Cn2_SafeRAM_7b),a
                  xor a
                  out ($33),a   ;Turn off Timer 2
                  out ($34),a
                  res 3,(iy+41h)                  ;let it resolve issues with the host again
                  ;restore all the registers!
   ex af, af'                     ;save to shadow registers
   exx
   res 0,(iy+41h)
   res 5,(iy+41h)
   ld a,(Cn2_SafeRAM_7b)
   rr a                        ;roll bit 0 back to carry
   jp c,Cn2_Int_Done_QuitOK
   jp Cn2_Int_SendSuccess

Quote:
If I recall correctly, you use _SendUSBData (BCALL 50F2h), check the OS' 5,(iy+41h) flag for bulk data ready to be received, as well as a routine to receive bytes to RAM. Does this routine handle both host and peripheral mode? (Meaning, does it take a different path depending on bit 2 of port 8Fh?)
It does not, as far as I can tell.

Quote:
I would like to see about using the USB link activity hook to hook into DoorsCS' functionality and allow DUSB gCn functionality using other cable configurations, such as tethering with an Android phone's internet connection. In such a situation, the calculator is host, not peripheral, so DoorsCS' routines might have to be modified.
I could certainly live with that.

Quote:
Ideally, I'd like to just tweak DoorsCS' USB routines so that everything continues to work as-is as well as supporting this new configuration.
The biggest problem would be lack of space inside Doors CS, at this point. I'm up to probably having to clip features to fit more stuff.

Quote:
But I think the more flexible solution would be to allow hooking into this functionality from an assembly program or Flash application.

I think that the BCALL _RunAppLib (http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=83Plus:BCALLs:50EC) would be good to use for this.

You could simply call this, passing in a predetermined function name as a string to determine whether a "USB extension" exists oncalc, and if so, use its routines instead of the ones you have built in.

For example:

HasgCnSp [Has gCn Support?], which returns whether this application supports and wants to hook into DoorsCS gCn support.
IsDatRdy [Is Data Ready?], which returns whether incoming data is ready to be received.
RecvData [Receive Data], which actually receives USB data.
SendData [Send Data], which actually sends USB data.
IsConnRd [Is Connection ready?], which returns whether USB is ready to be used right now.

The above is just off the top of my head and certainly not set in stone, I just want to see what you think of this -- or if nothing else, if you could post/attach the relevant DUSB gCn source code, that would be helpful.
I think that it would definitely be cool, but again, space constraints (and backwards-compatibility) are my main concerns.
How can I use the direct usb link. I have tried it by using the gcn client that comes with DCS 7.2b but i can't get anything to work, because the window won't stay open. I have windows 7 home premium.
ordelore wrote:
How can I use the direct usb link. I have tried it by using the gcn client that comes with DCS 7.2b but i can't get anything to work, because the window won't stay open. I have windows 7 home premium.
You need to open the command prompt and run the gCn client executable with certain arguments. The gCn readme explains how this works. If you would prefer a GUI tool, try giving the gCnClient GUI a spin.
Kerm I can look for more space to clip once we have Cn2 basic complete. I am sure we can clip a bit more out of CIII and maybe xlib or something.

Edit: I need to proof read more
Kerm, I tried all of the options you had given me and yet, the only thing my mom (Who is much more tech-savy than I) and I could figure out is that our computer is possibly too fast.
ordelore wrote:
Kerm, I tried all of the options you had given me and yet, the only thing my mom (Who is much more tech-savy than I) and I could figure out is that our computer is possibly too fast.
Which arguments specifically? Do you have the filter drivre installed? It's definitely not a computer speed issue.
I had installed the filter drivers, but when I open up the gcn client, the window pops up for a split second and then closes. When i try and connect with the GUI it always says "Exited with code FFFFFF"
What command-line invocation are you using for the gCn client ?
I am unable to use command-line for some reason and instead am using the GUI client Kerm suggested.
ordelore wrote:
I am unable to use command-line for some reason and instead am using the GUI client Kerm suggested.
Well, you need to open up a command window and then run the command-line program. If you just double-click it, it will indeed immediately close.
Sounds like you're running an old variant of the GUI. Grab the newest (final-ish) version, which allows you to see diagnostic output from the client itself.
I do apologize for my continuous problems but I have a new problem. Again, by using direct USB, the GUI says
"Info: Using default port 4295
Failed to open Direct USB connection to calculator.

>Process exited."
I thought this port argument was only for Arduino or USBHID
The default port is the IP port number the client uses to connect to the Cemetech server. That's the correct port number; don't worry about it, as it has nothing to do with the USB port. You should try the newest gCnClient with Doors CS 7.2 Beta 3, both of which will be released within the week.
Dont worry Kerm, I finally ffixed the problem. I just used command line
I'm having exactly the same problem with my 84+ SE connecting over Direct USB. I am using Tari's GUI on Linux and that's working fine, but I am getting the same error message as ordelore.

Ordelore, what was the command you typed into the command line?

Thanking everyone for their help in advance.

EDIT: I just plonked the command that Tari's GUI gives into the terminal, and I got the error message:

"usb_set_configuration (could not set config 1: Operation not permitted)."

Is this anything to do with libusb? To my knowledge it is installed.
I typed "gcnclient -n WebHub -l ordelore -r -d direct"
'WebHub' could be replaced for what ever hub you are using.
'ordelore' just needs to be swapped out using what ever you want to be known as.
That's about the best I can help you with since I don't know much about Linux.
Thanks ordelore. Believe it or not, they were exactly the same parameters I punched into the command line! I'm not sure what's causing the fault. I may try again later or perhaps tomorrow.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours