EDIT 1-24-16: Update 4 is finished! The last plot point is actually achievable now.

Code:
   ___   ___ _   _______  __________  _____
  / _ | / _ \ | / / __/ |/ /_  __/ / / / _ \
 / __ |/ // / |/ / _//    / / / / /_/ / , _/
/_/ |_/____/|___/___/_/|_/ /_/  \____/_/|_|

__  _____  ___  ___ __________  ____
 / / / / _ \/ _ \/ _ /_  __/ __/ / / /
/ /_/ / ___/ // / __ |/ / / _/  /_  _/
\____/_/  /____/_/ |_/_/ /___/   /_/

ADVENTUR is a game originally created in TI-BASIC for the 84+ C Silver Edition.
It was then rewritten in AutoHotkey and expanded to have more than five times the original content.
Once I got a TI 84+ CE, I ported the original basic code to my new calculator.
And now, I bring to you ADVENTUR Update 4 Preview written in Assembly for the TI 84+ CE!

This game was inspired partially by the Stanley Parable. Like the Stanley Parable, it is a game
about choice. If you play this game with the sole intention of beating it, you are missing out. Just
play through the game and appreciate all the content. Play it multiple times. Have fun. ツ

There have been four updates so far:
Update 1 Heaven Update
Update 2 Space Update
Update 3 Onion Update
Update 4 ComBat Update

There is also a new plot line of ADVENTUR being developed, with a completely different plot aiming to
be "30% less linear (actual results may vary)" This version has a working title of HOARSE, and will
probably be released at some point in the future. No promises.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible if this game causes you to go insane. It contains several logical
fallacies and fanciful circumstances. Do not take this game too seriously. This game is also not very extensively tested. I recommend running it using Cesium or Doors CE to protect your other programs. See the section below on bug reports.

ADVENTUR can be downloaded from the Cemetech program archives.

If anyone doesn't have a CE but still wants to play this game, here is a computer version I wrote a while ago. (It is Windows-only, but you should be able to use Mono or Wine to run it if you're on some other platform.)
The link is not working Neutral
First thing's first: The link is broken

Now back to your regularly-scheduled post:

I remember making one of these kinds of games (with the same name) back in my early coding days on an 84+. Except all the choices you made killed you in the game Smile
I got this and put it on my CSE, however it can't be unarchived because its too big.
willwac wrote:
I got this and put it on my CSE, however it can't be unarchived because its too big.

Unfortunately, this will only be for the CE because no matter what I do, the game is too big to fit on anything else (in BASIC or assembly; the assembly version is actually smaller because it uses a database of sorts).
Did you remember to include a README with your upload, Hactar? That might have been why it was rejected. Smile Can you tell us a little bit more about the gameplay, or would that ruin the surprise of the way in which it's about choice? Congratulations on putting this together in assembly, especially since I know you're relatively new to assembly!
Hactar wrote:
willwac wrote:

Unfortunately, this will only be for the CE because no matter what I do, the game is too big to fit on anything else (in BASIC or assembly; the assembly version is actually smaller because it uses a database of sorts).

Thanks for letting me know. Have you had anyone else look at your BASIC and/or Asm code to see if it can be optimized?
willwac wrote:
Hactar wrote:
willwac wrote:

Thanks for letting me know. Have you had anyone else look at your BASIC and/or Asm code to see if it can be optimized?

I'm 100% sure the code can be optimized, maybe saving up to half a kilobyte or so. But the majority of those ~28 kilobytes are just a bunch of text to make up the story line.

I just added a bit of stuff to the program to help evaluate this. The program itself only takes up ~8 kilobytes (on the calculator, of course), whereas the story takes up nearly 20. The (quite unoptimized and slightly incomplete) BASIC version I made before I started learning assembly is 48 kilobytes, but in that program EVERYTHING is hard-coded and it uses Lbls and Menus to do everything. Unfortunately there's just so much content in this program already, and it's just text... and some of my friends were suggesting to add pictures to it! Surprised

KermMartian wrote:
Can you tell us a little bit more about the gameplay, or would that ruin the surprise of the way in which it's about choice? Congratulations on putting this together in assembly, especially since I know you're relatively new to assembly!

You are given a situation, somewhat contiguous with the last, in which you must make a choice. There's a certain odd sense of humor in it all. For example, here's the first choice:

You are in a spaceship with a rhinoceros crying over a lost dictionary. What do you do?
1. Teleport to Earth
2. Jump into space
3. Kill the rhinoceros
4. Commit suicide

In this game, most choices tend to lead directly to death, which is why my friends and I working on an entirely new plot line.
How do you get to the last chapter?
Hactar! Reupload to the archives! People need to know about it, so add a readme and go!
Caleb_Hill wrote:
How do you get to the last chapter?

Right now you unfortunately can't. The game is incomplete.
Update 4 is now complete! The last plot point is actually achievable! And I put up a link to download for your computer!
So uh... this is kind of embarrassing.

I lost the source code.

Fortunately, the only current issue with ADVENTUR is a minor typo that could be fixed by using a text editor. So that's up-to-date now (should be updated on the archives pretty soon)... but don't expect a calculator version of HOARSE for a little while.
Always make backups, sir! Let this be a lesson to you, so that next time you'll have multiple copies (and don't let the next data loss be the one that convinces you to make backups). Glad that the typo could be fixed with a text editor, though.
KermMartian wrote:
Always make backups, sir! Let this be a lesson to you, so that next time you'll have multiple copies (and don't let the next data loss be the one that convinces you to make backups). Glad that the typo could be fixed with a text editor, though.

It was actually lost in the process of moving all of my assembly projects onto Dropbox, in case of a hard drive failure. But yes, I definitely should have been more careful.
Well, surprise surprise. Apparently WabbitSign does actually sign the file, meaning I can't just change one byte and hope the file will be valid. Also, apparently I didn't lose the source code? Year-ago-me had been storing everything on a flash drive. A new version fixing the "MUTH BUSTERS" typo has been submitted to the archives.
Would you ever plan to release the source code or did you already release it?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours