Hello everyone,
in desperate search to my problem i found this forum and ask you for help.
I have TI89 and GraphLink cable and cant connect calculator to my computer. I have installed TiConnect, then connected cable - in device manager it can be seen under usb controllers. But if i try to get device info in TIConnect or any other action, it searches through and cannot find anything (calculator is connected and on).
I have tried restarting, uninstalling drivers, TiLP and their drivers and Im out of ideas.
Im running W7 64x. Has anyone idea what am I doing wrong?
Apologies for english- not native speaker.
Hello Kukis! Welcome to Cemetech! This is definitely the best place to find information. Sounds like this could be an issue with the cord itself. Are you using an "official" one -- should be one continuous cable (no little bumps or inserts in the cable) and is usually black. Also, sometimes this happens if your OS needs to be upgraded -- Try linking with another person's calculator and receiving their OS. Also, it may be a problem with your calculator itself, which then I would recommend that you try one of two options -- Remove all of the batteries in your calculator, including the little silver one, and try again. Also, you could try resetting your calculator while it is plugged into the computer itself -- sometimes this helps. Of course, it could be something completely different. Smile Hopefully this helps in some way! Good luck, and welcome!
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Are you using an "official" one -- should be one continuous cable (no little bumps or inserts in the cable) and is usually black.

Thanks for quick answer. The one I am using looks pretty official (silver with TI logo on it), looks like this

http://www.util-pocket.biz/catalog/images/ti_usbg2.jpg

I tried rebooting the calc, but I will try the batteries option.
Kukis171 wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Are you using an "official" one -- should be one continuous cable (no little bumps or inserts in the cable) and is usually black.

Thanks for quick answer. The one I am using looks pretty official (silver with TI logo on it), looks like this

http://www.util-pocket.biz/catalog/images/ti_usbg2.jpg

I tried rebooting the calc, but I will try the batteries option.

Ah, looks like the good-old SilverLink cable! Odd... Usually that performs quite well... Are you using one of the older TI-89s?
MateoConLechuga wrote:

Ah, looks like the good-old SilverLink cable! Odd... Usually that performs quite well... Are you using one of the older TI-89s?

Well, it says 1999 on the back and i havent modified any software inside... I got it for as a gift for birthday and getting on university and it was new (strange for 1999 calculator being new in 2012).
To specification- it is NOT the titanium version. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/TI-89.jpg

Edit: I just tried removing all the batteries, it had no effect. Id like to try if it is the calculator or the cable, but I am the only one I know with TI calculator. I will probably reinstall OS on my laptop after my finals (ends 20th June), but I have done that before and it didnt help... is it possible for 64x bit Win7 OS to be the problem?

Edit II: Forgot to check versions- Ti 89 Hardware version 2.00; Advanced mathematics software version 2.03, 12/08/1999
Hello again,
so I tried reinstalling whole computer, installed TI-Connect, plugged cable, then calculator... still no effect.
I still cant see the calculator even when its plugged in, but I can see the cable.
If anyone could come up with a solution I would be grateful, Im getting sick of typing everything on a calculator...

Edit: I have foud out that some people have simmilar problems and they are using W7 x64bit... could this be an issue?
If you can see the cable but not the calculator, it's not a driver problem. It's a software problem on the calculator side (*), or a hardware problem, almost certainly on the calculator side.

*: which may, or may not, be fixed by a reboot, but on AMS 2.03, I'd advise you to make a backup, on another computer / with another cable, before you reboot... Indeed, AMS 2.00-2.03 contain a bug which erroneously erases part of the archive memory contents when rebuilding the table of variables. I sticked to AMS 2.03 for several years, but in the end, I upgraded for better FlashApp support and better reliability upon reboot.
Lionel Debroux wrote:

*: which may, or may not, be fixed by a reboot...

Thank you a lot! This finally solved my problem. I looked for complicated solutions and overlooked a the simplest one.

Now I feel kinda stupid.
No problem Smile
Glad that a reboot solved your computer <-> calculator communication woes.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours