Small update, just modified the test so that it can draw a map larger than the screen (width wise, anyway):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMvJ15htdBo
Ooh, that is brilliant! Great work, tr1p. Any idea where you see this going? Are we going to have Mario on the calc shortly Razz
merthsoft wrote:
Ooh, that is brilliant! Great work, tr1p. Any idea where you see this going? Are we going to have Mario on the calc shortly Razz
tr1p1ea continues to deny it, although I think he should man up and do it. Wink This is indeed brilliant. How many bytes are the tilemap and sprites together, tr1p1ea? Are you using full 16-bit pixels for your sprites, or some sort of palettization?
I, too, would be truly interested in seeing this 'playable' with moving Mario sprite and such, just to see how it would look Smile
If i can find the time i *may* make something with a sprite so you can jump around and such, but an actual game is unlikely Sad.

This demo uses 4-bit (nibbles) per pixel and is palette driven. This test only makes use of 15-colours and palettes can be loaded before any drawing operation. Sprites can be a different set of 16-colours when compared to tiles etc ... if that makes sense. This introduces some overhead when drawing so it could be even speedier given some modification, but i think its a nice balance of space vs speed atm.

The map is 168x15 bytes and there 71 tiles where each tile is 32 bytes.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours