Some people here might already have heard me rambling about it: Jacobly is creating a z80 emulator for the Nspire!
So yeah. After a lot of testing we finally came around getting something that's a bit acceptable: A graphics and input demo. It doesn't run the TI-OS yet but it is a great start already!
Controls: 2468 are mapped to arrows (for Touchpad/CX), ctrl to 2nd, shift to alpha, return or mode exits. Might crash if you try to run it for the first time, so be prepared Smile
Uses Ndless 3.1r645 or higher.
Downloads:
Clickpad
Touchpad
CX

Developer: Jacobly
Testers: DJ_O, ParkerR, ElementCoder, Matrefeytonias, aeTIos

PS. If you tested but you aren't on the list, note me and I'll add you onto it.
I assume that it requires Ndless? Any particular Nspire OS version? What features will this offer that the TI one doesn't offer? Most importantly, where is Jacobly to tell us about his work in person? Very Happy
The weirdest thing happened when I ran it. 8 inverted mini-screens appeared, 4 on the top and bottom, with garbage in between. I was still able to run things in the mini screens, even gbc4nspire worked.
Will update the first post to contain new infos.
OS version: 3.1 (downloadable from tiplanet.org)
ndless version: No clue, if you get the newest you'll be fine Razz (though at least above ndless 3.1 r645, which I'm running)
As for the TI one... well, the CX doesn't offer a 84+ emulator anymore.
And jacobly will hopefully comment soon Smile

Forty-two: Wow, that's a weird bug. Did it go away when you resetted?
It did the same thing when I reset.
wait... is it supposed to be supporting the classic models, or just the CX? I have a classic.
I just asked Jacobly and this is indeed not compatible with classic models. Sorry for not mentioning that.

Edit: Added updated download links. Also updated key mapping.
I thought it was the other way around? Because the version I tested was Clickpad-only
DJ_O wrote:
I thought it was the other way around? Because the version I tested was Clickpad-only
Based on the download links in the first post, it seems to be for the Clickpad, Touchpad, CX, but not classic. aeTIos and Jacobly, so what models does this support, and what models will it support? From making jsTIfied support the TI-84+CSE, I can tell you that it's not a huge undertaking, although there's a lot to get right; are you planning TI-84 Plus-series support including CSE support?
KermMartian wrote:
Based on the download links in the first post, it seems to be for the Clickpad, Touchpad, CX, but not classic. aeTIos and Jacobly, so what models does this support, and what models will it support? From making jsTIfied support the TI-84+CSE, I can tell you that it's not a huge undertaking, although there's a lot to get right; are you planning TI-84 Plus-series support including CSE support?

The clickpad version is for classic clickpad, touchpad for classic touchpad, and cx for cx touchpad. Are there any I'm missing? Also, the three separate programs are just for simplicity during testing, I will probably combine them into one program. As for CSE support, why not (eventually)?
Sorry, I should have been more specific there. What emulated models does it and will it support in the near and far future, according to your current plans?
I guess 83+, 83+SE, 84+, 84+SE at the very least.
jacobly wrote:
I guess 83+, 83+SE, 84+, 84+SE at the very least.
Excellent, sounds like a plan. Speaking from experience as an emulator-writer, I recommend getting TI-83+ support working solidly first, and then branching out to support the other three models.
Update (same links as before). To run, rename an 84+SE rom file to "rom.tns" and send it to the same folder as the executable. Use the menu key to turn it on, and ret to exit. Many things probably don't work yet.

Congratulations on getting that far, though; that's superb! And I'm glad you're building on your previous emulator work rather than re-inventing the wheel. Are you able to estimate the speed from the cursor's flashing speed?
Unlike the last update, this one actually seems to work!

Proof (thanks to ParkerR):

Instructions:
Rename a 84+SE *.rom file to rom.tns and put it in the same folder as the executable. Run the executable and press [menu] to turn the calculator on and [↲] to exit the emulator.

Downloads:
Clickpad
Touchpad
CX
That looks great, thanks jacobly (and ParkerR for the video). I am of course happy to see that Doors CS works properly in the emulator, though I had made the requisite changes to force it to work properly in TI's emulator by removing undocumented instructions. What's on your long- and short-term plan list for features?
Added touchpad arrow support.
Fixed bug causing bootfree roms to exit the emulator.
Fixed bug causing crashes.
Improved display.
Added automatic save state on exit.
Tried with:

84+SE ROM 2.41 (Boot code 1.00): Only a black screen shows up. Pressing Menu does nothing, even after waiting 1 minute. Can still quit fine, though.

84+SE ROM 2.53MP (Boot code 1.02): Only a black screen shows up. Pressing Menu does nothing, even after waiting 1 minute. Can still quit fine, though.

84+SE ROM 2.55MP (Bootfree 11.246): Only a black screen shows up. Pressing Menu does nothing, even after waiting 1 minute. Can still quit fine, though.

84+SE ROM 2.43 (Bootfree 11.246): Only a black screen shows up. Pressing Menu does nothing, even after waiting 1 minute. Can still quit fine, though.

I checked if they were really 84+SE ROMs and they're really 2048 KB. Do I need a ROM version in particular combined with a boot code in particular?
I use a bootfree 2.43 ROM and it works just fine?
fortytwo wrote:
The weirdest thing happened when I ran it. 8 inverted mini-screens appeared, 4 on the top and bottom, with garbage in between. I was still able to run things in the mini screens, even gbc4nspire worked.

This problem is kind of cool to me.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours