This method is compatible with the following calculators:

• TI-83 Plus
  • TI-83 Plus Silver Edition
  • TI-84 Plus
  • TI-84 Plus Silver Edition

Requirements:

Directions:

1. First, check that your calculator has over 17KB of RAM remaining. Press [2ND] and the [+] key, then [2]. Look at where it says "RAM FREE" and make sure the number is over 17408.

2. Connect your calculator to your computer. Keep it at the home screen for the time being.
  3. Unzip rom8x.zip on your computer and open the folder inside called "Get".
  4. Find the file that corresponds with your calculator:

Right click on the corresponding file and click "Send to TI device." (If that doesn't show, just go to Open With ► TI Connect Application). Make sure the program is being sent to RAM and not archive (otherwise, it will not run unless you unarchive it.)

5. Find the Asm( command in the catalog ([2ND] +[0]). Press [PRGM], select the transferred file (G83PSE1.8xp, G84PSE1.8xp, etc.) and then press [ENTER].

6. Open up TI-Connect, then go to TI DeviceExplorer. Expand the "Application Variables" group and find the new AppVar (it should be similar to D83PBE1, D84PSE1, etc.) Drag and drop this AppVar into your rom8x folder. After you've done this, you can delete the AppVar from your calculator.

7. For TI-84 calculators, you will need to repeat this process with both files (G84PBE1.8xp and G84PBE2.8xp, for example). Make sure you get both AppVars into your rom8x directory.
  8. Now, you need to download the OS software update file for your calculator. This can be found here.

Place the .8xu file inside your rom8x folder as well.
  9. Only one more step remains: packing your ROM. Inside your rom8x folder, hold shift and right click (Make sure you don't have a folder or file selected). Find "Open command window here" and click it.
  10. In the window that appears, type the following:

Code:
    rom8x [[Model name]] -u [[OS upgrade file name]]

Model name: 83PBE for a 83+, 83PSE for a 83+ Silver Edition, 84PBE for a 84+, and 84PSE for a 84+ Silver Edition.
    OS upgrade file name: The name of the .8xu file you downloaded from TI's website.

Here's an example:

If all goes right, you should end up with a .rom file in your rom8x folder. You're done.

Errors? Questions? Post them below.
Excellent, techboy. It should also be noted that WabbitEmu, as part of a setup wizard, guides you through this process automatically, selecting all of the appropriate files and running all the appropriate commands. It would also be useful for Linux users to know how to dump their ROMS.
I moved this to the "Technology & Calculator Open Topic" since it's about calculators. I also stickied it since it's a handy tutorial.
For step 9 make sure you don't right-click on a file or folder, you need to make sure you right-click on a blank area. Window 8 users have it somewhat easier: just click File->Open command prompt.
If you do click on a folder, though, a "cd .." will put you into the right directory.
Also, if you have Tilp instead of TI-connect, you can drag the "operating system" on the left side to the folder on the right side.
fortytwo wrote:
Also, if you have Tilp instead of TI-connect, you can drag the "operating system" on the left side to the folder on the right side.
Never new it allowed you to do it that way, I always used it over tools->rom dump
Compynerd255 wrote:
It would also be useful for Linux users to know how to dump their ROMS.

I'll attempt to do some research tomorrow, but I don't have a distro readily available so I won't be able to verify if the solution is indeed valid. I'll still try, though.

merthsoft wrote:
I moved this to the "Technology & Calculator Open Topic" since it's about calculators. I also stickied it since it's a handy tutorial.

Thanks!

benryves wrote:
For step 9 make sure you don't right-click on a file or folder, you need to make sure you right-click on a blank area. Window 8 users have it somewhat easier: just click File->Open command prompt.

I added a note to step 9 to accommodate this. Nice catch.
TiLP is able to dump roms of calculators on Linux. Note, Math Print *MUST* be disabled before dumping.
Can I BUY a TI-84+ C SE ROM?
willwac wrote:
No. That's violates.. a number of things.
I feel I have to point out that technically speaking, this isn't dumping the ROM -- this is dumping the boot code and combining it with the latest version of TI's OS from their web site to produce a bootable ROM.

If you're wanting a ROM to use in an emulator, this works, but if you're wanting to preserve a specific OS version from your physical calculator, this will not do it.
Tari wrote:
willwac wrote:
No. That's violates.. a number of things.
Not at all.

You can buy a TI-84+ C SE ROM from just about any of TI's authorized dealers.

It comes free with the TI-84+ C SE. Wink

(I know, I know, I know...)
I'm trying to download the file rom8x.zip onto my Dell desktop so that I can use the emulator for the TI-84+SE. But every time I click on the link, I get this message:

This webpage is not found

ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
Hide details
No webpage was found for the web address: file:///C:/pub/win/rom8x.zip.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Solomon
sfleckman wrote:
I'm trying to download the file rom8x.zip onto my Dell desktop so that I can use the emulator for the TI-84+SE. But every time I click on the link, I get this message:

This webpage is not found

ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
Hide details
No webpage was found for the web address: file:///C:/pub/win/rom8x.zip.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Solomon

I don't quite understand how it went wrong, but here's the link without the text over it.

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/373/37341.html

Click that, and you should be taken to ticalc.org.
This is very frustrating.

I tried to dump the ROM for my 84+CSE using rom8x and it gets as far as loading the programs into the calculator, but trying to run them results in ERROR SYNTAX check all arguments are entered.

I tried using WabbitEmu and it's gets as far as trying to download the program to the calculator and says it is invalid and cannot be sent to the calculator.

Does anyone know of an easier way to do it? Or maybe an emulator that doesn't require a ROM? Or just some default ROM or something?
Did you follow the directions about using the Asm() token? Unfortunately, no emulator can legally not require a ROM; anything that would allow you to run the emulator without owning a real calculator would be illegal.
KermMartian wrote:
Did you follow the directions about using the Asm() token? Unfortunately, no emulator can legally not require a ROM; anything that would allow you to run the emulator without owning a real calculator would be illegal.

Wabbit didnt' have directions, I was just following their wizard.

rom8x has a readme file, but searching the file or "asm" or "token" gives zero results.

Can you point me to the directions about these tokens?

Thanks!
JeffBship wrote:
rom8x has a readme file, but searching the file or "asm" or "token" gives zero results.

Can you point me to the directions about these tokens?

Thanks!
Assuming you're using this rom8x version, which works with the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition, the readme.html file has clear directions. By the way, depending what your use case is, you might want to consider jsTIfied as an emulator to try once you get a .rom from your calculator (disclaimer: I helped create jsTIfied).
Yes, that's the rom8x I'm using. I agree that there are clear directions. But following the directions leads to an error when running the program in the calculator. I'll delete and redownload everything...maybe it was a bad copy.

Yes, I'm trying to use jsTIfied emulator.

ETA:
Re-downloaded. Everything's fine up to the point where it says "Run the program you just put on your calculator." Running either of the programs G84CSE1 or G84CSE2 results in "ERROR: SYNTAX" check all arguments entered.

Pressing Enter gives:

Pressing Enter again gives:

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours