As you know, I have had my very own TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition for close to two weeks now. In using it, I have discovered a variety of bugs in the OS that I hope to pass along to TI. I also want to collect bug reports from you guys so I can submit a complete bug report package. I have rated bugs in order of severity, from [FATAL] through [ANNOYING] to [TRIVIAL]. If you guys report bugs that I can replicate, I will edit the first post. Also, if TI fixes bugs, I will mark them [FIXED]. Datestamps are the dates that bugs were reported/discovered or fixed.

[FATAL] The OS 4.0 code contains a notable bug. The ldir at 01:668D incorrectly copies $104 bytes rather than $103 bytes to clear textShadow, in the process trashing textShadowCur. In certain context-switching cases (namely changing between Classic and MathPrint modes), this can cause a crash. In practice, this bug is masked by the homescreen PutAway vectors. Many thanks to BrandonW for helping me find this. (10/14/2013)
[FATAL] Menu context is not properly cleaned up in some circumstances, or is applied incorrectly when a color/style dialog is active. See this post for full details. (11/26/2013)
[FATAL] Ever since OS 1.00, there's been a bug in the unarchive code that causes ERR:BAD ADDRESS if a variable is archived onto a page with 11-18 bytes left, depending on the name length. Details and specific broken OS code segment. (3/12/2014)
[FATAL] App pages beginning in 0xFF will cause the defragmentation process to fail. Details. (3/12/2014)
[ANNOYING] FindOSHeaderSubField (BCALL $8075 on TI-OS 4.x) has unexpected failure behavior for unknown fields. Instead of skipping unknown fields, it returns immediately, even if the field in question is not the requested one. For example, when FindOSHeaderSubField is called to find the end-of-header (807) field, and the header contains an unknown field type, it tries to start executing the App in the data for that field instead of continuing to actually find the 807 field. (5/5/2015)
[ANNOYING] The OpenLib( call only works with Apps that have exactly 8 uppercase characters in the name. Reported various places, including here. Has existed since at least TI-84 Plus OS 2.43. (9/22/2014)
[ANNOYING] TI-Connect marks TI-84+CSE Apps with the extension .8xk as "Incompatible" regardless of the contents of the 801 app header field, and apps with .8ck as compatible even if the 801 header field contains the 0104 (non-color) key. (9/14/2013)
[ANNOYING] Setting 0→Ymin:1→ΔY incorrectly sets Ymax to 165 instead of 164. (3/3/2013) (Confirmed in OS 5.0.1, 9/7/2015; confirmed in OS 5.1, 9/8/2015)
[ANNOYING] Typing in an X-value for the right bound of an integral on the graphscreen makes the dotted left bound disappear. (3/13/2013) (Confirmed in OS 5.0.1, 9/7/2015; confirmed in OS 5.1, 9/8/2015)
[ANNOYING] When setting stat plots, if you use a color number instead of its token (eg: 10 instead of BLUE), it causes an ERR:SYNTAX. (5/4/2013)
[TRIVIAL] The ALPHA-ZOOM (F3) matrix-entry Shortcut menu is baffling to beginners. (3/2/2013)
[TRIVIAL] Scrolling down from the bottom or up from the top of a menu with fewer than one screen of elements (<9 elements) flashes unexpected graphical artifacts. (3/13/2013) (Confirmed in OS 5.0.1, 9/7/2015; confirmed in OS 5.1, 9/8/2015)
[TRIVIAL] The RAM FREE and ARC FREE numbers in the Memory Management menu aren't far enough to the right. (3/17/2013; thanks DrDnar) (Confirmed in OS 5.0.1, 9/7/2015; confirmed in OS 5.1, 9/8/2015)
[TRIVIAL] The warranty card sent with retail models discusses 4x AAA batteries, not a Lithium-Polymer battery. (3/17/2013; thanks DrDnar)

[FIXED] Changing the TraceStep in the Window menu incorrectly forces Xmax to change, which means that you cannot set (for example) a TraceStep of 1 while keeping a window narrower or wider than Xmax-Xmin=165. (3/8/2014) (Marked not-a-bug 3/13/2015)
[FIXED] [ALPHA]-scrolling the BASIC editor scrolls by 7 lines, not 9. (2/26/2013) (Fixed in TI-84 Plus CE OS 5.1 as of 9/4/2015)
[FIXED] Although the Menu( command accepts 9 options + 1 title (instead of the old 7 options + 1 title), the last two options appear as ??, and choosing those options causes an ERR:LABEL. (2/23/2013) (Fixed in TI-84 Plus CE OS 5.1 as of 9/4/2015)
[FIXED] Scrolling the BASIC editor is unbelievably slow. For [ALPHA][↑] and [ALPHA][↓], do not re-draw intermediate lines? (2/21/2013) (Ameliorated by the TI-84 Plus CE's hardware as of Spring 2015)
[FIXED] Typing in the BASIC editor is very slow. Typing at a normal speed causes many keystrokes to be missed, requiring the user to type very slowly. (3/13/2013) (Ameliorated by the TI-84 Plus CE's hardware as of Spring 2015)
[FIXED] Using certain Pt-On commands with color codes shows those points as black until the program ends (2/19/2013) (Fixed in TI-84 Plus CE OS 5.0 as of Spring 2015)
[FIXED] If you have insufficient Ends for your For/While/Repeat loops, and the graphscreen is active, your program will end with whatever was stored in Ans awkwardly overlaid on the graphscreen. (3/3/2013) (Fixed in TI-84 Plus CE OS 5.0 as of Spring 2015)
[FIXED] Three characters are incorrectly drawn in small font: [, λ, and μ. Screenshot and details are in this topic. (12/13/2014) (Fixed in TI-84 Plus CE OS 5.1 as of 9/7/2015)
[FIXED] StorePic does not store graphed functions if a Text( command was used since the last time context was switched to the graphscreen. Workaround: Disp before StorePic. (9/5/2014) (Fixed as of OS 5.1, 9/8/2015)

9/5/2014 - Notice how few of these are [FIXED]... Rolling Eyes
12/13/2014 - As far as we know, none of these are [FIXED] yet.
9/4/2015 - A few of these have been fixed as of OS 5.1 for the TI-84 Plus CE
Have you checked to see if the MP parser-hook bugs that BrandonW had patches for have been fixed?
elfprince13 wrote:
Have you checked to see if the MP parser-hook bugs that BrandonW had patches for have been fixed?
I'm afraid I have not yet done so, but I should definitely test it. I'm sad to say I have no great hopes for those being fixed, unfortunately.
Store a string containing a 2-bytes token (such as a lowercase letter) in Ans or a string, create a program then fill your RAM until you only have 2 bytes left (with a 52x51 matrix and other stuff it fills pretty fast).

Afterward, Rcl that string inside the program. After the opening quote appears, you got 1 byte of RAM left before it gets to recall the 2 bytes token. Does it still cause random tokens to scroll through the screen (requiring a battery pull) like on every 83+ and 84+ OS?
DJ_O wrote:
Store a string containing a 2-bytes token (such as a lowercase letter) in Ans or a string, create a program then fill your RAM until you only have 2 bytes left (with a 52x51 matrix and other stuff it fills pretty fast).

Afterward, Rcl that string inside the program. After the opening quote appears, you got 1 byte of RAM left before it gets to recall the 2 bytes token. Does it still cause random tokens to scroll through the screen (requiring a battery pull) like on every 83+ and 84+ OS?
Yup, it still does. That one was rather hard to test, because once you get to about 150 bytes free or fewer, the Y= menu and the matrix menu won't open (ERR:MEMORY) and the List Editor gets very cranky and sporadic. You also can't perform homescreen calculations. But I eventually got it. It displays ChkTimer(, then the sequence "????????+" repeated forever.
ooh, goody. a new calculator with a lot of problems. yeah, im trying for a casio prizm now.
LuxenD wrote:
ooh, goody. a new calculator with a lot of problems. yeah, im trying for a casio prizm now.
Any new piece of software is going to have bugs, and these are mostly absurd corner cases, in TI's defense.
The PRIZM was way worse when it originally came out. The Output/Locate command didn't even work right and some other commands didn't even work at all (threw a syntax error, even if typed properly as the readme says). Also, Pt-On, Line, Pxl-on and whatever were at least 5 times slower than the 84+CSE. It didn't crash, though.

Also Kerm I think you forgot to include the Pt-On color glitch Razz (which is kinda similar to Casio PRIZM's locate command, but not as bad)

Also, Casio holds the distinction of having released two different OSes with identical version numbers (1.02). One fixed the Locate bug, while the other (which was available for download on Casio's site) didn't.
LuxenD wrote:

That makes two of us.
The CSE is worse than I thought.
The initial OSes for practically all of these upgradable calculators were buggy. This includes the TI-83+ and TI-84+.
calc84maniac wrote:
The initial OSes for practically all of these upgradable calculators were buggy. This includes the TI-83+ and TI-84+.

Let's just hope that TI listens to feedback and actually *fixes* these bugs.
DJ_O wrote:
Also Kerm I think you forgot to include the Pt-On color glitch Razz (which is kinda similar to Casio PRIZM's locate command, but not as bad)
Thank you for reminding me about this. I updated the first post to reflect this bug.

AHelper: Let's definitely hope so.
I hope so too. Although lately they've been more receptive from the community, I am still worried due to how long they have been taking before fixing some of the other bugs that have been present for over a decade.

calc84maniac wrote:

I still remember the Equ>String bug >.<. I think some bugs were introduced with the arrival of strings on the 83 because the 2-byte token Rcl bug doesn't happen with Y vars on the TI-82.
KermMartian wrote:

[TRIVIAL] The ALPHA-ZOOM (F3) matrix-entry Shortcut menu is baffling to beginners. (3/2/2013)

Could you please elaborate on the problem?
During the pre-release stage is not the time to moan about bugs, though. The entire purpose of these demo models is for small-scale end user testing to find bugs and design issues before releasing a broken brick to the masses. That two byte character bug is pretty silly though...
blue_bear_94 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Could you please elaborate on the problem?
There are three "selection" boxes: one is the cursor, one is the selected number of row, and the last is the number of columns. I was pressing the down and right arrow keys, and nothing was happening; by default the cursor starts over the OK button. I had to move up to the row cursor, change that, and then change the columns and move to OK. It's very counter-intuitive.
The only further bugs I'm aware of are the MP parser hook bugs in 2.53MP that BrandonW has produced a patch for. You mentioned that point command weirdness observed in that animated screenshot.
Quote:
I tracked down the bug that was preventing xLIB from working correctly on OS 2.53MP: there's a bug in TI's parser code which they introduced when trying to refactor all the code that sets 0,(iy+7). After calling the parser hook with A=1, if the parsing operation is canceled by the hook, then the OS incorrectly sets 0,(iy+7) when it should be setting 0,(iy+6). This causes problems all over the place.

To patch this issue, you can (in the 8XU OS upgrade):

Change 6B5Bh to: 06
Change 6C85h to: CD D0 7F
Change 5C00h to: CD D6 7F
Change 5CA7h to: CD D6 7F
Change 607Dh to: CD D6 7F
Change 695Ah to: CD D6 7F
Change 6BFBh to: CD D6 7F
Change 7FD0h to: 21 01 00 22 61 96 FD CB 07 C6 C9
Have you been able to get conic to work? I tried down loading it and I get an error
jmclaug wrote:
Have you been able to get conic to work? I tried down loading it and I get an error
Welcome to Cemetech, JMcLaug. Unfortunately, the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus Apps won't work on the new TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition without being re-written by programmers. TI will be gradually releasing each of the major apps as it is ported.
Any estimate or web site to watch?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 11
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours